Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #153 of 621
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #155 of 621
@erikkkk9823 The 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter might be the problem (some are designed to work with 3.5mm TRRS or TRRRS connections such as gaming headsets. also, does the gain switch have any effect on the distortion?
So All I need is Find a 3.5mm TRS to 6.3mm TRS adapter if I want to use the single end output?

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #156 of 621
This is completely wrong. The inputs from the dac to the amp have no bearing on the outputs to the headphones. Also the Midgard isn’t a balanced amp anyway so whether you use the 1/4 or XLR, the power output is identical to the headphones.
You're totally wrong

Schiit stress it over and over and over

DO NOT USE BALANCED TO SE ADAPTERS OR VICE VERSA IF YOU LIKE YOUR HEADPHONES

Only use SE to se adapters and balanced to balanced adapters

Preferably don't use any adaptors but that's not going to be a real problem from the DAC pov

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #158 of 621
You're totally wrong

Preferably don't use any adaptors but that's not going to be a real problem from the DAC pov
No one's talking about using adapters bro, it's ok to use an SE DAC or XLR DAC into midgard and it's ok to use SE or XLR out to headphone. That's the point. Since we're on the topic it's also ok to have an XLR headphone cable and use a SE adapter and plug it into an amp but never the other way around. If the SE cable in question on the headphone is trrs then you need the adapter listed above to take the trrs to TRS.

You can use XLR into the amp from DAC and use SE out to headphone or vice versa if you have a SE DAC and XLR headphone cable. That doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #159 of 621
You're totally wrong

What @Rattle said.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #160 of 621
Asgard 2:
Class A, single-ended MOSFET with zero negative feedback. As tubey as Solid State gets. I preferred it to a Bottlehead Crack with my DT 1990 headphones.

Measurements are solid, not class leading, but beguiling sound and enough power for 99.9% of headphones. Doubles as a preamp and mutes the output when the headphone jack is used, which I love because I don't like to turn off my power amp.

I would like to hear a Midgard though.
I loved my Asgard 2 and so does my friend who bought it. It was also a great way to keep your coffee warm, did run warm.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #161 of 621
No one's talking about using adapters bro, it's ok to use an SE DAC or XLR DAC into midgard and it's ok to use SE or XLR out to headphone. That's the point. Since we're on the topic it's also ok to have an XLR headphone cable and use a SE adapter and plug it into an amp but never the other way around. If the SE cable in question on the headphone is trrs then you need the adapter listed above to take the trrs to TRS.

You can use XLR into the amp from DAC and use SE out to headphone or vice versa if you have a SE DAC and XLR headphone cable. That doesn't matter.
Why shoudnt? I dont see a Problem to feed the Midgard with an SE Dac and run it with an Balanced XLR Headphone cable

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #162 of 621
Why shoudnt? I dont see a Problem to feed the Midgard with an SE Dac and run it with an Balanced XLR Headphone cable
You are correct, it doesn't matter how you configure the inputs/outputs. You can mix and match as desired. I think the confusion right now amongst the group is the use of adapters to change SE to balanced and vice versa. But assuming no adapters are in use, it doesn't matter what you plug into the back and front, they don't have to match.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #163 of 621
You are correct, it doesn't matter how you configure the inputs/outputs. You can mix and match as desired. I think the confusion right now amongst the group is the use of adapters to change SE to balanced and vice versa. But assuming no adapters are in use, it doesn't matter what you plug into the back and front, they don't have to match.
Yeah, the only difference is in terms of power Output, right? If you use an Balanced Dac, the volume gets louder because its an balanced chain. With an SE component in the chain, its just SE. But i think it dosent matter that mutch on the Midgard.
For my case i will use an Chord Mojo 2 with it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #164 of 621
I loved my Asgard 2 and so does my friend who bought it. It was also a great way to keep your coffee warm, did run warm.

There seems to be a lot of nostalgia for the Asgard 2 these days. I didn't even bother to bring mine to either of the meetups I went too this year. I figured nobody would care, plus with how hot it is didn't want to accidently burn anyone. lol.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #165 of 621
Yeah, the only difference is in terms of power Output, right? If you use an Balanced Dac, the volume gets louder because its an balanced chain. With an SE component in the chain, its just SE. But i think it dosent matter that mutch on the Midgard.
For my case i will use an Chord Mojo 2 with it.
The power of the amp itself is unchanged in all scenarios, both balanced and single ended. But you could get a higher volume if you plug in a dac that has a hotter XLR output, like the Schiit Bifrost. The Bifrost puts out 4V on XLR and 2V on RCA, so you would have a louder signal if you connected the Bifrost to the Midgard using XLR cables. But to be clear that won't affect the power of the amp itself, you'd just have a louder signal coming in. And also no matter what input you choose (RCA vs XLR), keeping the input the same, the output will be the same from the Midgard's 6.3mm and XLR outputs, because the amp it not internally balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back