Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #1,141 of 2,252
Quote:
Anyone using the Magni with HD 600s?  I have a pair of HD 600s and a pair of Sextetts.  The Sextetts have always been hard to drive since I don't have a dedicated headphone amp.  I would like to find something to cover the bases with both of my cans.  I realize this an entry level amp, but I can't budget for too much else at the moment.

Sounds perfect with the HD-600/650 and Sextett IMO. I'm using it with the ODAC and not the Modi though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,143 of 2,252
Hello.

I have the fidelio X1 headphones, and i am looking to buy an amp/dac, and i think that magni/modi must be fine with the fidelio X1.

Anyone has been tested magni/modi with the X1?

I think that it is a bit powerful, but i am looking a good dac/amp in therms of sound quality.

Do you think that magni/modi will be fine with the X1?

Will be dangerous use this powerful amp with X1? Can i broke them?

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,145 of 2,252
Hello.

I have the fidelio X1 headphones, and i am looking to buy an amp/dac, and i think that magni/modi must be fine with the fidelio X1.

I think that it is a bit powerful, but i am looking a good dac/amp in therms of sound quality.

Thanks.

Not many people have the X1 yet, so I doubt you'll find much input from current owners. I can say that from my experience with my other cans I would expect the M&M to sound quite good with the X1.

If you turned it all the way up then it's quite possible you could blow your headphones, but that applies to most decently powerful headphone amps.

How about magni with pro750 and dt880? Would it be better combo than asgard?

As far as I was able to hear the Magni and Asgard sound basically identical. It mainly comes down to which you prefer the look of and whether you want the Asgard's better volume control.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,146 of 2,252
Quote:
Hello.

Thanks.

I was using the fidelio two nights ago with a WA7, and an odac+e12 blind testing. also with just the e12 (which i ended up buying the AUstralian sample unit of). Personally, i would go for the little pocket sized odac and e12 option. The sound was GREAT, and the bass boost on that thing is mental! More than that i found the ODAC to have a sound, portability, and reliability that is so far unparalleled, its the size of a skinny little matchbox. The magni and modi are also tiny! I really fell in love with the baby stack!!!! But you cant put them in your pocket. I havent done a side by side of the two, but id also venture a guess that the ODAC (at a different price point so its an unfair comparison) will be a better DAC. Lets face it, the ODAC is better than most DACs out there atm. There are some powerhouse portables out there now too, or just run the Magni at work/home +ODAC, and ODAC + ??? on the run with an amp strap over your phone.

Of course if you use an iphone, then none of this matters as you have a proprietary DAC in there that wont be moved by all the glory that is an ODAC, nor any other DAC for that matter (with the exception of 2). In this case though i still recommend the ODAC for the office. Its not its portability that makes it one of the finest DACs on the market. If the extra $50-$90 is a factor, go for the magni/modi its a very cute little stack! Solid state or not, I do automatically wonder whats inside for $200 odd? Especially being made in the US... Are they making a loss? Surely not!

For those who dont hear the difference between this and their asgard etc, this worries me. I know apart from the lyrr (which isnt that tubey either) that Schiit amps dont sound overly tubey or warm a/b'ed with other manufacturers amps, but to sound like a $99 palm of your hand sized solid state statement piece (as great of a statement as it is!)??? You gotta wonder: Is the $99 paper weight THAT good, or is the Asgard that bad? I havent tested myself yet so im hopeful this is exaggeration. But if its true i worry and wonder.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,147 of 2,252
Hi guys,

Noobie question here.

I understand in countries like Australia that use the 240v system we'll need to use a step-up transformer (is that right, step-up?) for the Magni to work with our sockets.

Where can I buy one of these transformers, and are they safe?

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,149 of 2,252

For those who dont hear the difference between this and their asgard etc, this worries me. I know apart from the lyrr (which isnt that tubey either) that Schiit amps dont sound overly tubey or warm a/b'ed with other manufacturers amps, but to sound like a $99 palm of your hand sized solid state statement piece (as great of a statement as it is!)??? You gotta wonder: Is the $99 paper weight THAT good, or is the Asgard that bad? I havent tested myself yet so im hopeful this is exaggeration. But if its true i worry and wonder.

Both Magni and Asgard sound like good clear solid state amps, and yes, with the same DAC I couldn't tell them apart. Doesn't mean I think the Asgard is bad, I actually prefer it over the Magni, just not for sound quality specifically.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,150 of 2,252
It just seems perplexing as the Asgard is 2-3 times the price.
I thought it was all about sound quality?
Now I definitely need to try these side by side!

**** has anyone compared to the Valhalla?

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,151 of 2,252
[size=10pt]The Australian Schiit distributor is currently testing/sourcing step down transformers for the Mangi. I plan on purchasing one so I can message you the transformer details when I have one. [/size]

[size=10pt]By the way if you're planning on ordering direct from schitt.com I've heard on this forum that Schiit won’t ship the Mangi to Australia because of the deal they have with the local distributer.[/size]

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,155 of 2,252
Any way to fix static coming through the magni?
I'm using a powerline networking in my house and it seems to be sending static through the magni to my headphones (mostly the right side)
Every outlet in my room is connected so doesn't matter where I plug it
Also, I can't really move either of these to another room
Anything I can buy to "filter" out the static?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back