Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #691 of 2,252
Priority and First Class Parcel. Never a problem. UPS is typically worse than the USPS.

This. Usually I prefer FedEx, non-ground, but I'll take the USPS over UPS any day.

Modi, Magni, and Pyst cables are here, but not had a chance to check them out yet. Probably will on Sunday.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #692 of 2,252
UPS is generally a lot more expensive than both USPS and FedEx (in some cases) with international shipping as well. I've had a few bad experiences with UPS before with a few expensive orders from fleabay, never again will I be going the UPS route when USPS can do it cheaper and with better reliability. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #693 of 2,252
I am very interested in purchasing one of these headphone amps, however part of me thinks that listening to reviews of it on this site is dangerous, as Schiit is one of the site sponsors.  DAE feel the same?

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #694 of 2,252
Quote:
I am very interested in purchasing one of these headphone amps, however part of me thinks that listening to reviews of it on this site is dangerous, as Schiit is one of the site sponsors.  DAE feel the same?

No. This site has never really had that problem, with clearly defined rules for the sponsors. And, most of the reviews are user reviews. No benefit in one of us playing up a sponsor 

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #695 of 2,252
I'd say the only thing to be truly wary of is new toy syndrome from users, and the tendency to exaggerate the qualities of equipment.

Like getting the Magni and saying it blows their old equipment away. One should know by now that at this level of quality, differences are gonna be subtle/minute.

I pay attention more to those who can explain what the strengths and weaknesses are, as they are a lot more belieavable.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #696 of 2,252
Quote:
I'd say the only thing to be truly wary of is new toy syndrome from users, and the tendency to exaggerate the qualities of equipment.
Like getting the Magni and saying it blows their old equipment away. One should know by now that at this level of quality, differences are gonna be subtle/minute.
I pay attention more to those who can explain what the strengths and weaknesses are, as they are a lot more belieavable.

Yeah, this is one thing that's especially true for Schiit equipment, on Head-Fi at least. But the sponsor factor is 100 percent a non-issue.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #698 of 2,252
Anyone randomly get a weird buzzing sound followed by a prolonged clicking/tapping sound? It happens every couple of minutes for me. :frowning2:

I was. Had a ground loop from my usb dac. What i finally did was plug my magni into a wallsocket all by itself and everything else into one on a different wall. Seems to have eliminated it.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #699 of 2,252
Got the monoprice RCA cables as per recommended and .. they are super, super tight. They plug in and don't go all the way because all of the outside is slanted toward the middle. Am I supposed to force these in so these go around the plug properly?

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #700 of 2,252
Quote:

While I certainly wouldn't complain if Schiit had decided to just send me a Magni and Modi to review, pretty sure all the reviews here (at least so far) are from people who bought them.

And I fully agree, the new toy syndrome is definitely the bigger overall concern.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #701 of 2,252
Quote:
Got the monoprice RCA cables as per recommended and .. they are super, super tight. They plug in and don't go all the way because all of the outside is slanted toward the middle. Am I supposed to force these in so these go around the plug properly?

As long as you're getting a proper signal it doesn't really matter, and after you remove and put them back on a few times the connector will probably loosen up anyways.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #702 of 2,252
Quote:

I ordered them too - should get them and the MM stack on Monday.

I read in the reviews for the Monoprice cables that some people thought they were super tight and some people thought they were loose. It might depend on the equipment they're being used on, but either way they should loosen up with use. And if you really want, you can loosen the contacts "manually".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back