Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #661 of 2,252
For emf rejection I'd suggest a coaxial type cable, try canare, mogami, hosa, etc and see what they have. From what I recall monoprice cables are twisted pair type, which isn't as good for bucking emf. I could be wrong though

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #662 of 2,252
Quote:
Nice initial impression. 
smile_phones.gif
 All of these good initial impressions are making me excited for when my Magni arrives. Mine hasn't shipped yet, but I have a feeling that they are getting a bit swamped with new orders / the new year holiday. 

Now I just need to buy some RCA cables for it. I was considering going with a BJC LC-1, but a 6-8ft cable would be almost half the price of a Modi or another Magni. 
triportsad.gif
 I can't really see spending that much on a $100 amp. Especially since I believe that pretty much every well constructed cable will sound the same, and I could order 4 of the cheaper cables for the same price. 

Right now I'm looking at either getting a Tartan or Belkin RCA cable off of Amazon for ~$10. I'm leaning a bit towards the Belkin cable due to it having both foil and braided shielding. I will have a USB wireless adapter about 9 inches away from where the RCA cables will plug into my computer, so RFI is a concern for me.

Anyone else have a suggestion for a modestly priced cable that would fit the Magni, and have good EMI / RFI shielding other than those two cables I named above? 
smile_phones.gif

Yes, get a Monoprice cable ASAP! They also don't charge you $10.99 for a $1.99 1st class stamp. Another good place for cables is "Redco". They even do custom designs.

Belden wire that Blue Jeans Cable uses is good stuff. Even if you don't believe in differences, it's worth it. Actually, I wouldn't suggest any very low capacitance wire with the Magni. Canare or Mogami would be best. 6-8 feet seems way overkill for the Magni.

Silver or silver plated wire would probably be awful with the Magni (IMO).

BTW Belden, Canare and Mogami all have very good shielding.

I guess there's always Radioshack too...

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #664 of 2,252
My magni will be arriving today. Will be offering comparisons to e7 and vintage receiver using d2000

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #665 of 2,252
Good evening,

I write from Italy and I ordered the Magni today. I have a question. 

These are the specs fo USA Power Supply

AC ADAPTER
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
INPUT 120V AC 60HZ
OUTPUT 16V AC 500ma 8.0 W

I'm trying to find the correct Power supply for Italy. I found 3 models. Can you suggest me which one is the most correct? thank you very much

1) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Netzteil-fur-Thorens-16V-AC-500mA-fur-TD-146-147-166-280-316-318-320-2001-/150787641679?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item231ba4d14f#ht_3079wt_1397
(I think this is the perfect one because it has the same specs of the US one, except obviously for the input)

2) http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_netzteil_fuer_hp4.htm
(This one has the double specs: 1000ma 16W: do you think are there problems or improvements if I use this one)?

3) http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentatori-plug-in/2813690/
(This one has output 15V AC 500ma, so it's a bit under... problems?)

Thank you very much, I think it's very important to make the right choice, because I don't want to damage the amplifier.

I hope you can help me,

Regards

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #667 of 2,252
alright folks here is my first ever product review.  I got the Magni in today.

First Impressions: Fit and finish is nice.  Fairly hefty for its size.  Only noticeable flaw is the volume pot is crooked as another member posted as well.  Can only tell when looking straight down. One thing that is personal preference is the white/grey LED light is super bright.  I use my computer to watch blurays and TV and I wish it wasn't so bright or that I could just disable it.    

I hooked it up to my e7 through a basic 3.5mm to RCA cable.  Setting computer volume at max and e7 at max, I did not notice hiss until around 1oclock on the pot.  Keep in mind I am using sensitive D2000's and the Magni is known for having some strong gain.  For volume reference, I am currently on spotify at max volume as well, and the Magni at probably 8 oclock.  I do hear some static or something inbetween songs but nothing major. It tends to disappear. It is now gone since starting this review.  I have been on the lookout for channel imbalance at low volumes like others have experienced and I have yet to notice it.  

Ok onto the music.  WOW!  Huge improvement over my e7.  People like to say the denons are so easy to drive and a portable dac/amp are "fine" for them, which is true, but you are missing so much going this route.  Proper power is needed.  With the Magni I am experiencing deep, tight bass and more importantly, much more mid-bass.  I think what I noticed most however is vocals.  They are very forward.  I don't know if this falls into mid-range or not, but its exciting.  Very clear and I am getting excellent instrument separation and soundstage compared to e7.  I think a lot of this also depends on the song/record.  Brown eyed girl is crazy good on this setup, whereas newer pop recordings don't benefit as much.  It also tends to bring out imperfections on recordings much more than e7.  I don't mind the analytical nature and I would say the treble is not fatiguing, at least so far.  I really hate bright sounding setups and I sold my hd595's because they were way too bright.  D2000 is a darker can and I love it.  I also took someones advice and tested using The Dark Knight soundtrack.  Sounds amazing. Killer bass sections.  

Conclusion: best $100 I spent on head-fi so far.  If I ever get higher end phones like lcd2 or even he-500 I think this would drive them well.  I think with time the fit and finish will improve.  I will also test this as an amp coming right out of my cable box to see what its like.  If you have the D2000's, get this amp. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #668 of 2,252
^Do you not have the Fiio L7? That way you can by pass the E7's internal amp. There shouldn't be any reason to touch the E7's volume control at all if using the Fiio L7.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #669 of 2,252
Quote:
^Do you not have the Fiio L7? That way you can by pass the E7's internal amp. There shouldn't be any reason to touch the E7's volume control at all if using the Fiio L7.

I do not.  Will look into this. 

edit: will have it on monday lol

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #670 of 2,252
Hahaha. Wow, all this time, and you didn't know? :D

The sound should be even cleaner now, as you're not having to use the E7's...less than stellar internal amp in the chain.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #671 of 2,252
Quote:
Hahaha. Wow, all this time, and you didn't know?
biggrin.gif

The sound should be even cleaner now, as you're not having to use the E7's...less than stellar internal amp in the chain.

Yea haahha.  It still sounds awesome.  Amazon will have it here tuesday actually as today is friday. >_<  Will let this thread know the results on Tuesday night.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #672 of 2,252
You ever considering on upgrading from the E7? That is quite the bottleneck for your chain. I found the cheaper D03K to be superior (though not USB but SPDIF). Still, I'd say hold off until you can afford the Modi. :wink:

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #673 of 2,252
Quote:
You ever considering on upgrading from the E7? That is quite the bottleneck for your chain. I found the cheaper D03K to be superior (though not USB but SPDIF). Still, I'd say hold off until you can afford the Modi.
wink.gif

+1
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #675 of 2,252
Quote:
Good evening,

I write from Italy and I ordered the Magni today. I have a question. 

These are the specs fo USA Power Supply

AC ADAPTER
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
INPUT 120V AC 60HZ
OUTPUT 16V AC 500ma 8.0 W

I'm trying to find the correct Power supply for Italy. I found 3 models. Can you suggest me which one is the most correct? thank you very much

1) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Netzteil-fur-Thorens-16V-AC-500mA-fur-TD-146-147-166-280-316-318-320-2001-/150787641679?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item231ba4d14f#ht_3079wt_1397
(I think this is the perfect one because it has the same specs of the US one, except obviously for the input)

2) http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_netzteil_fuer_hp4.htm
(This one has the double specs: 1000ma 16W: do you think are there problems or improvements if I use this one)?

3) http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentatori-plug-in/2813690/
(This one has output 15V AC 500ma, so it's a bit under... problems?)

Thank you very much, I think it's very important to make the right choice, because I don't want to damage the amplifier.

I hope you can help me,

Regards

I am not an electrician, but I have been researching a power supply for Australia

Option 1) This matches the original power supply, and would be my choice
Option 2) This has the same voltage, but double the current (1000mA). AC adapters are unregulated so this would result in a higher voltage output. Not good
Option 3) Less voltage with same current, so the amp will not be as happy with a lower voltage, but you also risk burning out the power supply as 15v X 500mA = 7.5w.  The amp is rated at 8w.

You just need to ensure the plug from the power supply will fit into the Magni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back