Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #646 of 2,252
Quote:
My stack came, still no RCA cables yet though. Damnit usps, speed up!
All in all, it looks pretty sweet. Just wished it came with RCA cables.

Been in the "hobby" so long it was'nt a matter of needing cable, but deciding which ones do I want to pull out of that box in the closet. I went with some kimbers since they are pretty light and won't make Schitt levitate.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #647 of 2,252
Quote:
I agree with Tdock in feeling that the Magni may be just a hint emphasized in the treble. If anything, the Magni favors being analytical than musical. I'd say its best to match it with warm headphones.

I rather think of it as being on the musical side because of its sheer expansiveness, openness, and it's ability to render volume gradations on a small scale, i.e. I can hear smooth gradual decay rather than a sound on, sound off effect. I agree that darker or neutral/dark headphones are preferable, but I didn't have any issue with modded HD800s or HE5 with gel pads. EQ does wonders though if there's too much treble.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #648 of 2,252
I too have a box of cables, but said box is all full of freebees. One of my new-years resolutions is to focus on the details & neatness of everything, so I ordered a pair of 1ft canare cables when I ordered my modi

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #649 of 2,252
I've never owned a headphone amp before so I don't know if this is just a normal problem but I have it just running off my computer not with a dac and I can understand the hiss as I always had this(though it is very noticeable at even low volume with the amp unlike before I had to turn it all the way up to hear it) but there's this electric wave kinda sound sound that goes in and out over time that goes along with it that's really annoying when not listening to music, is this just a problem with the on board sound and the amp is just amping it to it's extremes and am just hearing all the interference on the motherboard?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #650 of 2,252
Quote:
I've never owned a headphone amp before so I don't know if this is just a normal problem but I have it just running off my computer not with a dac and I can understand the hiss as I always had this(though it is very noticeable at even low volume with the amp unlike before I had to turn it all the way up to hear it) but there's this electric wave kinda sound sound that goes in and out over time that goes along with it that's really annoying when not listening to music, is this just a problem with the on board sound and the amp is just amping it to it's extremes and am just hearing all the interference on the motherboard?

That sounds like what it is, and you can do an easy test to find out. Just unplug the amp from the computer and see if you can hear anything then; with mine I can turn the amp all the way up with no noise at all (just be careful to turn it back down before you plug it back in!)

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #652 of 2,252
Aspburgers? 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #659 of 2,252
Quote:
I posted my initial impressions of the Modi/Magni stack over here, if anyone was interested.

Nice initial impression. 
smile_phones.gif
 All of these good initial impressions are making me excited for when my Magni arrives. Mine hasn't shipped yet, but I have a feeling that they are getting a bit swamped with new orders / the new year holiday. 

Now I just need to buy some RCA cables for it. I was considering going with a BJC LC-1, but a 6-8ft cable would be almost half the price of a Modi or another Magni. 
triportsad.gif
 I can't really see spending that much on a $100 amp. Especially since I believe that pretty much every well constructed cable will sound the same, and I could order 4 of the cheaper cables for the same price. 

Right now I'm looking at either getting a Tartan or Belkin RCA cable off of Amazon for ~$10. I'm leaning a bit towards the Belkin cable due to it having both foil and braided shielding. I will have a USB wireless adapter about 9 inches away from where the RCA cables will plug into my computer, so RFI is a concern for me.

Anyone else have a suggestion for a modestly priced cable that would fit the Magni, and have good EMI / RFI shielding other than those two cables I named above? 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back