Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #391 of 2,252
If I have a turntable with RCA outs, can I just plug them directly into the Magni or an Asgard?

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #394 of 2,252
I thought so, but I just figured I'd ask in case maybe the Asgard had something built-in like some vintage amps/receivers

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #395 of 2,252
Just ordered a Magni.

Will probably take a couple of weeks for it to arrive to Norway but I'm really looking forward to try it out
beyersmile.png

Keep those impressions coming!

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #397 of 2,252
Quote:
I agree with all of this. The M&M do a terrific job with the HD650. The biggest drawback is the lack of air, but it's not a show stopper by any means. If I'm not A/B-ing, I adjust to the signature and it's very enjoyable. The power, dynamics, and slightly bright signature do a lot to counter the lack of air.

Solution for lack of air. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #398 of 2,252
Yep,  That is true.  I think they may be too short.  I had to bend mine in shape.  Then put something heavy on top of the stack for a few days so it would stay in place.

A judiciously placed zip tie, applied VERY loosely, is a great solution for this little issue:

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #405 of 2,252
Comments I made on another forum for a member asking about K701 pairing with Magni.

Sorry for the delay guys, had the in-laws over so it's been crazy.

Let me get this out there.  I don't have any high-tech gear to test amps and headphones.  I use my ears and experience. :music:

This is not a review, just impressions on how it pairs with the K701.  To my ears the Magni sounds good for a $99 amp.  It has good punchy bass and clean crisp highs.  The AKG K701 is not expensive in the world of hi-fi headphones.  It is perhaps one of the most revealing headphones on the market regardless of price.  It's revealing sound may not suit everyone and can be hard on the ears and difficult to pair with amps and sources.  This headphone is the "garbage in, garbage out" type.  With that said, it shows flaws on the Magni.  While the amp has good punchy bass and crisp highs, it has a bump in the 2.5khz area which make it hard for me to like.  The K701 brings that out front and center.  It sounds like the amp is shouting at you.  Another area is deficiency is refinement.  Everything sounds like it's coming at you all at once.  While this is common on budget amps, you only notice it when you compare the Magni to a higher priced amp like the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.  Refinement is why Hi-Fi gear is so much money.  I know it is not a fair comparison.  The Magni is a $99 amp while the HPA is $799.  The Magni is not a bad amp, it's just a bad match for the K701. For those with this headphone I suggest to spend more money and buy a better amp so you can enjoy what the K701 can give you.  

If you are just seeking for a good kick in the pants for your less revealing budget headphones, the Magni is a good buy and should give you the boost you want.

note: my Magni has a volume control issue.  The left side cuts out when I wiggle the knob.  I'll send it back for a replacement.

BTW, the tube based X-Can V8 is a great match for the K701/K702.  That amp can be had for about $400 on the used market.  The stock tubes are better IMO than Gold Lions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back