Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #376 of 2,252
Quote:
There are no dumb questions 
cool.gif
 It was actually a good question IMO. I think it'd just be the same, the current/shock would go to the plug first, so nbd. It's a problem if that extra voltage goes to the drivers and washaws them. But I don't see the real difference in time of taking out the 1/4. If you have to screw it out/in I'd just take out/plug in the jack. 

Quote:
Ya I don't see why not. The magni has protective relay when turning it on, so you could leave anything plugged into it. I even left cans plugged into my other amps, but I always lowered the volume pot before turning on and off.

Quote:
So it is considered most safe to insert and remove headphones when the amp is on?

Thanks for the advice/questions guys! Can anyone confirm whether I can always leave my headphones plugged in? I always took it that with all solid states, whether relay or not, and not just Schiit, safest practice was to plug in and unplug while the amp was on, and not to leave them plugged in while turning on and off the amp.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #378 of 2,252
So I'm considering buying both the modi and the magni at the same time, now my question is do I need the PYST cables they sell on their website to connect them or would a rca cable do the job? And just to clarify the modi does come with a usb already? And does anyone know if schiit does combined shipping??

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #379 of 2,252
Quote:
So I'm considering buying both the modi and the magni at the same time, now my question is do I need the PYST cables they sell on their website to connect them or would a rca cable do the job? And just to clarify the modi does come with a usb already? And does anyone know if schiit does combined shipping??

RCA Cable works but the Magni does not come in with one. Modi needs a USB printer cable but does not come with one. I'm almost certain Schiit does combined shipping but I just ordered the Magni so I can't promise.

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #380 of 2,252
Just got my Magni/Modi stack today and am listening right now: FLAC via J River Media Center 24-bit WASAPI -> Modi -> Magni -> HD650. I've only had about 30 minutes of headtime but here are some initial impressions:

• The Magni drives my HD650 very authoritatively with the volume control at 9:00.
  • Sound has punch and weight.
  • Can't detect much grain - smooth.
  • Compared to my VDA-1/VAC-1 stack -> Asgard, Modi/Magni have a smaller soundstage and less air around instruments. It's a narrower and more "intimate" sound signature, but very pleasant.
  • The Magni doesn't get hot at all. It's just pleasantly warm to the touch after coming up to temperature and won't give you 3rd degree burns like the Asgard. :)
  • Ordered a pair of Pyst RCA interconnects for the stack, but the natural bend radius of the cables lifts the back end of the Magni up by about 1/2" when stacked on top of the Modi.
  • Modi was giving me random pops during playback when connected to a USB 3.0 port. Moving it to a USB 2.0 port did away with this. More investigation needed.

These are some VERY preliminary impressions and observations. I'll also say that the packaging and shipping materials are very attractive, understated, of high quality, and professionally done. The products are presented very well. So far I'm impressed that Schiit is able to offer this kind of quality at this price point. I'd say that they've upped the ante for the budget amps/DAC market.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #382 of 2,252
I agree with all of this. The M&M do a terrific job with the HD650. The biggest drawback is the lack of air, but it's not a show stopper by any means. If I'm not A/B-ing, I adjust to the signature and it's very enjoyable. The power, dynamics, and slightly bright signature do a lot to counter the lack of air.

Just got my Magni/Modi stack today and am listening right now: FLAC via J River Media Center 24-bit WASAPI -> Modi -> Magni -> HD650. I've only had about 30 minutes of headtime but here are some initial impressions:
  • The Magni drives my HD650 very authoritatively with the volume control at 9:00.
  • Sound has punch and weight.
  • Can't detect much grain - smooth.
  • Compared to my VDA-1/VAC-1 stack -> Asgard, Modi/Magni have a smaller soundstage and less air around instruments. It's a narrower and more "intimate" sound signature, but very pleasant.
  • The Magni doesn't get hot at all. It's just pleasantly warm to the touch after coming up to temperature and won't give you 3rd degree burns like the Asgard. :)
  • Ordered a pair of Pyst RCA interconnects for the stack, but the natural bend radius of the cables lifts the back end of the Magni up by about 1/2" when stacked on top of the Modi.
  • Modi was giving me random pops during playback when connected to a USB 3.0 port. Moving it to a USB 2.0 port did away with this. More investigation needed.
There are some VERY preliminary impressions and observations. I'll also say that the packaging and shipping materials are very attractive, understated, of high quality, and professionally done. The products are presented very well. So far I'm impressed that Schiit is able to offer this kind of quality at this price point. I'd say that they've upped the ante for the budget amps/DAC market.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #385 of 2,252
Quote:
  1. The Magni drives my HD650 very authoritatively with the volume control at 9:00.
  2. Sound has punch and weight.
  3. Can't detect much grain - smooth.
  4. Compared to my VDA-1/VAC-1 stack -> Asgard, Modi/Magni have a smaller soundstage and less air around instruments. It's a narrower and more "intimate" sound signature, but very pleasant.
  5. The Magni doesn't get hot at all. It's just pleasantly warm to the touch after coming up to temperature and won't give you 3rd degree burns like the Asgard.
    smily_headphones1.gif
  6. Ordered a pair of Pyst RCA interconnects for the stack, but the natural bend radius of the cables lifts the back end of the Magni up by about 1/2" when stacked on top of the Modi.
  7. Modi was giving me random pops during playback when connected to a USB 3.0 port. Moving it to a USB 2.0 port did away with this. More investigation needed.
These are some VERY preliminary impressions and observations. I'll also say that the packaging and shipping materials are very attractive, understated, of high quality, and professionally done. The products are presented very well. So far I'm impressed that Schiit is able to offer this kind of quality at this price point. I'd say that they've upped the ante for the budget amps/DAC market.

Very informative, i thank you :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #387 of 2,252
Quote:
Does the DAC have the annoying click that the Bifrost has when connecting to a source and I believe it was even in between songs

That was the Bifrost's muting relay and only occurred with SPDIF and only if the source stopped sending data between tracks. The Bifrost through USB does not click between tracks, just once when first powered on.

So unless they completely changed the design (unlikely since the Modi is based on the Bifrost's USB card), it should not click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back