Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #408 of 2,252
Quote:
Comments I made on another forum for a member asking about K701 pairing with Magni.

Sorry for the delay guys, had the in-laws over so it's been crazy.

Let me get this out there.  I don't have any high-tech gear to test amps and headphones.  I use my ears and experience. :music:

This is not a review, just impressions on how it pairs with the K701.  To my ears the Magni sounds good for a $99 amp.  It has good punchy bass and clean crisp highs.  The AKG K701 is not expensive in the world of hi-fi headphones.  It is perhaps one of the most revealing headphones on the market regardless of price.  It's revealing sound may not suit everyone and can be hard on the ears and difficult to pair with amps and sources.  This headphone is the "garbage in, garbage out" type.  With that said, it shows flaws on the Magni.  While the amp has good punchy bass and crisp highs, it has a bump in the 2.5khz area which make it hard for me to like.  The K701 brings that out front and center.  It sounds like the amp is shouting at you.  Another area is deficiency is refinement.  Everything sounds like it's coming at you all at once.  While this is common on budget amps, you only notice it when you compare the Magni to a higher priced amp like the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.  Refinement is why Hi-Fi gear is so much money.  I know it is not a fair comparison.  The Magni is a $99 amp while the HPA is $799.  The Magni is not a bad amp, it's just a bad match for the K701. For those with this headphone I suggest to spend more money and buy a better amp so you can enjoy what the K701 can give you.  

If you are just seeking for a good kick in the pants for your less revealing budget headphones, the Magni is a good buy and should give you the boost you want.

note: my Magni has a volume control issue.  The left side cuts out when I wiggle the knob.  I'll send it back for a replacement.

BTW, the tube based X-Can V8 is a great match for the K701/K702.  That amp can be had for about $400 on the used market.  The stock tubes are better IMO than Gold Lions.

Interesting observations. I'll reserve judgment until more impressions/reviews roll-out. I appreciate the K 701 impressions though as I am soon to receive one myself.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #410 of 2,252
subscribed. 

Little guy has plenty of fight. 
I am digging it so far... Hey, can't complain for $99. 
More thoughts later. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #411 of 2,252
Quote:
subscribed. 

Little guy has plenty of fight. 
I am digging it so far... Hey, can't complain for $99. 
More thoughts later. 

Uh, just letting you know. You could die. Your Magni has turned into a Viking..

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #413 of 2,252
Quote:
Looking for O2/ODAC VS Magni/Modi as well as M/M + HE-400 impressions.

Thanks everyone hope you're enjoying them

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-o2-odac-vs-magni-modi Very indepth
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #414 of 2,252
Listening on Denon D7000 right now then on to K550 then Sony 1R. Will report back if anyone is still interested.

BTW, the Magni must have a weak solder somewhere in the volume pot. The problem shows up when the amp is hot.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #415 of 2,252
Thanks for the 70X series impressions hifiguy! Heard the magni does get warm, and that the asgard gets hot enough for 3rd degree burns... but that might have been a hyperbole. HE-400 seems to be really popular... never noticed how popular it was until reading the magni/modi threads. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #416 of 2,252
Quote:
Listening on Denon D7000 right now then on to K550 then Sony 1R. Will report back if anyone is still interested.
BTW, the Magni must have a weak solder somewhere in the volume pot. The problem shows up when the amp is hot.

Does it sound like the same issue you had with the DT-770 where you mentioned it sounds blown and distorted?

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #418 of 2,252
Does it sound like the same issue you had with the DT-770 where you mentioned it sounds blown and distorted?

No it doesn't sound like that anymore. Maybe it was something else in the chain.

D7000 & K550 didn't pair well either. Those two are some of my favs. On to the Sony 1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back