Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #436 of 2,252
Quote:
Yeah. i'm looking on amazon and bestbuy and i don't see any 6" (inch, not feet) RCA cables. Schiit has them, but they're $20....

I would just say buy a 1.5 ft cable from monoprice and put some cable ties on them, don't think the cables are really worth it since I have heard that they don't fit the modi and magni perfectly and it ends up lifting the top unit.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #437 of 2,252
Quote:
I would just say buy a 1.5 ft cable from monoprice and put some cable ties on them, don't think the cables are really worth it since I have heard that they don't fit the modi and magni perfectly and it ends up lifting the top unit.

Yeah, i was planning on doing that instead. $4, not too bad...

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #440 of 2,252
I forgot to get a usb 2.0 cable -_- now I have to go to radioshack

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #443 of 2,252
Quote:
How do you track them, anyway? Is there a tracking number somewhere?

If you just ordered, it is unlikely it got shipped today.  It is christmas eve after all...  When your stuff does ship (probably Wed. at the earliest) you will get a shipping notification.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #444 of 2,252

Immediate impressions
Packaging: Standard.
Aesthetics: Incredibly beautiful, nice slick design and color. Would probably match better with apple components being that they're pretty much the same color. The size is perfect for my desk which is about 6 ft. long with 2 keyboards 2 mice 3 monitors and a router in the way. The stack is very small and subtle but still noticable.
Setup: Being that this is my first AMP/DAC combo the setup was very simple, Schiit made it easy for me with their instructions and PYST cables. Comes with stick-on feet which are easy to apply. Note that they dont come with a USB 2.0 cable for the Modi so if you're a first timer like me, make sure you get one in advance that's long enough to fit your needs. Also there is a "component levitation" problem with the RCA cables but some rubber band or zip ties fix it easily.
Sound: Once again I'd like to say that this is my first stack so I have nothing to compare the sound quality to. Also I only have an ATH-M50 to listen. But god damn does it sound wonderful! Off the bat I notice the bass comes to life, not really sure how to say this but the jazz in songs sounds better as well, and Jessie Ware sounds better than she normally did.
Price: Inexpensive.
Thoughts: Haven't gone through the burn-in period yet but if you're a noobie to this world of head-fi like I am and you're deciding what kind of stack/combo you want to get yourself, pick this duo up asap and you won't be dissappointed.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #445 of 2,252
Well, I wasn't really planning on getting the magni, but sure enough, I actually got one for Christmas. Since I have it, I thought I'd post some impressions:

First of all, I am comparing this amp to the amp in my audioengine d1, with the source for both Amps being the d1 (kinda obvious but anyway...) and using my hd 598s to compare. so first things notice is the amp is brighter than the d1's amp section. It also has better detail and soundstage than the d1. The d1's amp section sounds congested compared to the magni. The bass is also more detailed and realistic. It's just overall better.

I guess this might be a "duh" thing because the d1 is primarily a DAC, and just has an amp as a second thought, but that's really all I have to compare it to. Its a good upgrade from the d1's amp section.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #446 of 2,252
After almost two weeks of toiling and following this thread I ended up ordering the combo just now. The tiny size and ability to drive the HE-400 seemed well worth it. I hope I don't lose much dropping from the Asgard/Bifrost combo.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #447 of 2,252
Quote:
After almost two weeks of toiling and following this thread I ended up ordering the combo just now. The tiny size and ability to drive the HE-400 seemed well worth it. I hope I don't lose much dropping from the Asgard/Bifrost combo.

Why are you buying this in the first place if you already have those?

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #449 of 2,252
Quote:
Well, I wasn't really planning on getting the magni, but sure enough, I actually got one for Christmas. Since I have it, I thought I'd post some impressions:
First of all, I am comparing this amp to the amp in my audioengine d1, with the source for both Amps being the d1 (kinda obvious but anyway...) and using my hd 598s to compare. so first things notice is the amp is brighter than the d1's amp section. It also has better detail and soundstage than the d1. The d1's amp section sounds congested compared to the magni. The bass is also more detailed and realistic. It's just overall better.
I guess this might be a "duh" thing because the d1 is primarily a DAC, and just has an amp as a second thought, but that's really all I have to compare it to. Its a good upgrade from the d1's amp section.

Hey! I have a D1 and I have some 600 ohm DT880s coming so I want to get the Magni, I just want to know how the Magni compares in size to the D1, and if they're stackable 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #450 of 2,252

Users who are viewing this thread

Back