Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 18, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,191 of 2,252
So if I got this correctly, the magni has a netural to bright sound presentation right..?  this is actually what I am looking for.   I am planning to order soon a modi2/magni2 uber stack.    
Is there a difference in sound between the magni normal version and the uber?

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,192 of 2,252
  So if I got this correctly, the magni has a netural to bright sound presentation right..?  this is actually what I am looking for.   I am planning to order soon a modi2/magni2 uber stack.    

I would personally call the original magni accurate, or perhaps not colored, as opposed to bright.

I have an original magni, not a 2 or uber, so I can't say much about the recent updates. My original has sufficient power to drive anything from 32 to 250 ohm cans with plenty of reserve (it'll probably handle higher impedance cans, but I have none to test that with).

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,193 of 2,252
Question: 

The Magni 2 has an option to be used as a pre-amp with variable line-outs.  Is it possible to set this as a fixed line-out that is not effected by the volume pot?  Whether this be an option at point of sale or a DIY fix, I'd be interested in knowing if this is something anyone here has tried.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,194 of 2,252
  Guys I need help!
So I purchased the magni back in Taiwan, it came with of course the AB plug with 110V. Now I moved to Hong Kong, the voltage here is 220/230 with UK plug. I bought a AC/AC step down converter but when i plug them together, its nto working and theres a burning smell! 
What should I do in this case? ( Assuming the magni is still functional...) I e-mailed schitt about this problem but they just ask me to buy another adapter at their site which I don't want to because the shipping is just too much...
Please help and thanks in advance!

does the box itself smell or just the adapter?
if the magni smells... well you broke it.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,195 of 2,252
I think its the adapter but its lights still on tho...I am not sure..I am just wondering is it supposed to work like that or I am doing something wrong?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #2,198 of 2,252

Go to the Schiitstorm forum (started by Jason Stoddard himself). I posted my comparison impressions in post #1472 on page 99. I hope it helps.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,202 of 2,252
  Do these guys only have online shops? Kinda expensive to order when taxes are additional 25% + the expensiv shipping is more than 1/3 of the total price :/

Yes. Cheapest is to order directly; you can get many items from Amazon but the price goes up a bit.
On the bright side, if you could walk up to a brick and mortar store, you'd probably pay 100% more than what you see now. And still get stuck with tax.

Taxes are not their fault. I suggest contacting your local government (where do you live that charges you a 25% tax rate?)

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,203 of 2,252
  Question: 

The Magni 2 has an option to be used as a pre-amp with variable line-outs.  Is it possible to set this as a fixed line-out that is not effected by the volume pot?  Whether this be an option at point of sale or a DIY fix, I'd be interested in knowing if this is something anyone here has tried.

It should just be a pre-out not a real pre-amp.  If you want fixed line level output cheap just run piggyback RCA cables into the Magni and plug inputs into the piggyback part of the connector.  With line level sources you shouldn't notice any loss and then plug the other ends of the piggy back RCA into your other source, Bam full line out, i've compared mono signals one with a direct connection in one channel and a channel with the piggyback connected to a receiver, as well as another test with it plugged into the tape in of a mixer.  If you want to add volume to that preout use a Schiit Sys, it's $50, works as a 2 input switch with one output, so you could connect that with a piggyback or splitter from source to Magni or just unplug the Magni.  I might sell my SYS, less than a month old was going to use it with my monitors, but the balanced inputs work so much better on them.  I am using my Sys as a way of giving me two volume pots for my Magni, that 6x fixed gain is annoying with sensitive cans, the channel imbalance is real.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,204 of 2,252

It should just be a pre-out not a real pre-amp.  If you want fixed line level output cheap just run piggyback RCA cables into the Magni and plug inputs into the piggyback part of the connector.  With line level sources you shouldn't notice any loss and then plug the other ends of the piggy back RCA into your other source, Bam full line out, i've compared mono signals one with a direct connection in one channel and a channel with the piggyback connected to a receiver, as well as another test with it plugged into the tape in of a mixer.  If you want to add volume to that preout use a Schiit Sys, it's $50, works as a 2 input switch with one output, so you could connect that with a piggyback or splitter from source to Magni or just unplug the Magni.  I might sell my SYS, less than a month old was going to use it with my monitors, but the balanced inputs work so much better on them.  I am using my Sys as a way of giving me two volume pots for my Magni, that 6x fixed gain is annoying with sensitive cans, the channel imbalance is real.

If i was to use a titanium HD sound card, a schiit magni and a schiit sys would i get better volume out of the schiit magni? if so howso.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,205 of 2,252

If i was to use a titanium HD sound card, a schiit magni and a schiit sys would i get better volume out of the schiit magni? if so howso.

What do you mean by better volume? Like easier/finer control? I've always found the best way to get quality sound and the control I need is to max out the volume on everything except the last device in the signal chain and use that to control the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back