Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,951 of 2,252
Thanks for your replies guys.

Would it be a worthy purchase getting the Modi DAC?

From the reviews I have read it makes a heavy difference as far as quality goes.

I mostly use them for music/games/movies

Personally, I was unconvinced I needed a DAC until I tried one. Being an Old Guy (tm), I come from a time when Good Audio did not require a DAC. (I did not own any good audio gear for a long time - having a family, then getting divorced, put my financial priorities elsewhere). When I became re-interested in Good Audio earlier this year, I immediately ran into the DAC issue. It was kind of funny how many things I had to read before I finally read something that explained what on earth a DAC was needed for.

Long story short: most music is stored in digital form these days. It needs to be converted to analog format prior to being amplified, and the digital to analog converter (DAC) does this. Many devices employ cheap DAC chips for this purpose. As you might imagine, cheap chips equal poor audio quality. Better chips (and better circuits) equal better audio quality. Devices like your iphone, a laptop, a tablet, etc employ really cheap DAC chips, that are very easy to improve upon.

The bottom of the scale for stand-alone DAC devices seems to be around $100 at present, and the Schiit Modi is absolutely the best DAC in that price range. You can get a better DAC, but you will spend a lot more money. There are a few cheaper DAC's, but honestly you probably don't want to go there.

There is also the legitimate question of how good your ears are. How much you need to spend on audio gear depends on how well your ears work. As an Old Guy (tm), I am a bit cautious about how much I spend on audio gear, simply because I know my old ears can't hear fine detail like they used to. So even if I was able/willing to drop Cubic Dollars on a DAC, if I could not hear the difference, then that's money wasted. However, if you're relatively young (e.g. < 30) and haven't otherwise done damage to your hearing, then you can probably go Hog Wild on a DAC and hear all sorts of Sonic Marvels. YMMV.

So all that being said, a Schiit Modi DAC is probably a very good first purchase. The first DAC I ever tried was a Modi. The difference between DAC and no DAC was dramatic, to me. Clarity. Less distortion. Most aspects of sound quality I could describe, improved. I was immediately sold on the necessity of a DAC (even with my Old Ears). Even an Old Guy like me can hear that level of improvement in sound quality.

So, yeah. I would recommend at least a Modi. Whether you need something better is a matter of opinion. Some folks preach that your audio budget should include the largest slice for a DAC. Other folks think you should get the best cans first, best DAC second, best amp third, and worry about stuff like cables, power conditioners, and left handed smoke shifters, if there's money left over.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,952 of 2,252
HOLY MANG M&M stack compared to my auzentech bravura soundcard.... no competition straight up ANNIHILATION!!!!!!!

Good lord this magni gets LOUD fast. With my Senn HD 558's and foobar maxed at 0db i can BARELY get past the off position on the magni knob.

I'm using the wasapi plugin in foobar and 24bit mode already.

Is it okay to turn down foobar to about -18db and actually USE the knob on the magni?

Any thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

BTW I'M LOVING THIS SETUP SO MUCH =D

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #1,953 of 2,252
HOLY MANG M&M stack compared to my auzentech bravura soundcard.... no competition straight up ANNIHILATION!!!!!!!

Good lord this magni gets LOUD fast. With my Senn HD 558's and foobar maxed at 0db i can BARELY get past the off position on the magni knob.

Is it okay to turn down foobar to about -18db and actually USE the knob on the magni?

Huzzah
beerchug.gif

The computer volume control should be at 100%. The Modi mysteriously seems to do this for mine, but you might want to make sure.

The opinions I've seen with respect to the audio player software (Foobar, iTunes, whatever) seem to vary. Some people say keep the volume maxed and control with the Magni. Clearly, if your volume is so loud as to keep you from listening, then you need to drop the volume down on SOMEthing. Personally, I choose to drop the volume on my audio player.

The 558's are relatively low impedance at 50 ohms. So I would expect that they'll be easy to drive with the M+M stack. My Beyer DT 770 / 250 ohm cans are also pretty easy to drive with the Magni, though I do have a decent range of volume adjustment. In any case, most importantly you're enjoying it. That's a Win.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,954 of 2,252

With Modi in 24 bit mode, if your music is 16 bit then yeah, feel free to turn it down in Foobar (or Windows). You can turn it down 8 bits worth (which would be 1/256 volume) before you'd be losing any actual data. Personally, when I had the Magni I'd leave Windows' volume at 25% to get a good volume range.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,956 of 2,252
Well, the right channel of my Magni stopped working this morning. It was working fine on Wednesday when I left the office and it was not used at all yesterday so I am a little confused as to how this happened. I tested the headphones with my iPod and they work perfectly so I know its not them. I have contacted Schiit and I am waiting on a reply. Thankfully I am going on vacation soon so I will not be using it but still sucks!

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,957 of 2,252
Well, after leaving the Magni on for a couple of hours it is now working again. No clue what happened to make it work.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,958 of 2,252
  Well, after leaving the Magni on for a couple of hours it is now working again. No clue what happened to make it work.

First time I've ever heard of anyone having that issue with a Magni.

Does it sit in any sort of cold environment? Wondering if the winter cold could affect something.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,959 of 2,252
No cold environment. It sits in my office. Schiit support says it must have just been a USB glitch that was causing issues with the signal to the Modi. Whatever it was I am glad it's working again!

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,960 of 2,252
No cold environment. It sits in my office. Schiit support says it must have just been a USB glitch that was causing issues with the signal to the Modi. Whatever it was I am glad it's working again!

That has happened to several folks on this thread. Not sure what it is, but certain USB cables seem to cause random noise - replacing the cable with something better usually solves the issue.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,962 of 2,252
How important is grounding here ? I gather a lot of static electricity at work and I shocked my amp/dac setup which stopped the music from playing.

I thought everything was fine but today i turned my amp on and I was getting a ton of static. the static cleared but on the left side of the headphones were working.

replugging the USB out of the DAC and then back in reset it and the headphones seem to be fine.. although now I am noticing **** I think I hear noise in the background of my music etc.

please help.

setup is

schiit M&M setup 
sennheiser 558

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,963 of 2,252
  How important is grounding here ? I gather a lot of static electricity at work and I shocked my amp/dac setup which stopped the music from playing.

I thought everything was fine but today i turned my amp on and I was getting a ton of static. the static cleared but on the left side of the headphones were working.

replugging the USB out of the DAC and then back in reset it and the headphones seem to be fine.. although now I am noticing **** I think I hear noise in the background of my music etc.

please help.

setup is

schiit M&M setup 
sennheiser 558

Proper grounding is always important. It won't guarantee that you don't run into static electricity now and then as you did. Nor will it guarantee you don't get ground loops or RFI. But it does provide a path to ground for such things. Good wiki article to read about here.

I guess the question is, can static electricity damage something? The answer is yes. Could it have damaged your gear? Perhaps. If you are hearing something now, that was not there before, after this static burst, then that is what I would suspect.

There are two things to do:

1) Make sure the outlets your Schiit gear plugs into are properly grounded; and
2) Ground yourself before touching them, or anything connected to them (like your cans).

I'd get one of those 3-prong circuit testers from a hardware store and check the outlets to make sure the wiring isn't wonky also.

I would suspect your gear is still under warranty, but I have no idea if the Schiit warranty covers stuff like static electricity.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,964 of 2,252
Looking for some help here.  I just got the M/M today...I have previously been using a Fiio e7/e9 setup at my computer.  The Fiio completely bypasses my computers volume control meaning all volume adjustment is done with the e9.  Rarely does the volume go past 10-11 o'clock before its too loud.

I hooked my M/M stack up tonight and at first I was getting a very thin sound.  I went to the system volume and turned it up all the way...that helped but I'm having to turn the pot between 12-1 to get a full sound and even then it isn't sounding nearly as good as the Fiio.  I've gone through my computer sound settings over and over but I'm wondering, is there a way for the M/M to completely bypass my computer volume so everything is controlled solely by the Magni?  With the Fiio it automatically did this...I'm not sure why the difference with the M/M.  Any thoughts?

I have tried this now with my he-400, hd650's and dt880's.  The volume pot is at 3 o'clock with the 880's and it's not loud at all.  The he-400 and 650's get relatively loud when I get to 1 o'clock on the volume, but the sound is just loud, it's not full like it should be.  I've read in several places that the Magni gets loud very quick but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I'm wondering if I'm just missing a setting or something on my computer.  The odd thing is if I switch directly over to the e7/e9 combo I don't have a single problem.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #1,965 of 2,252
  Looking for some help here.  I just got the M/M today...I have previously been using a Fiio e7/e9 setup at my computer.  The Fiio completely bypasses my computers volume control meaning all volume adjustment is done with the e9.  Rarely does the volume go past 10-11 o'clock before its too loud.

I hooked my M/M stack up tonight and at first I was getting a very thin sound.  I went to the system volume and turned it up all the way...that helped but I'm having to turn the pot between 12-1 to get a full sound and even then it isn't sounding nearly as good as the Fiio.  I've gone through my computer sound settings over and over but I'm wondering, is there a way for the M/M to completely bypass my computer volume so everything is controlled solely by the Magni?  With the Fiio it automatically did this...I'm not sure why the difference with the M/M.  Any thoughts?

I have tried this now with my he-400, hd650's and dt880's.  The volume pot is at 3 o'clock with the 880's and it's not loud at all.  The he-400 and 650's get relatively loud when I get to 1 o'clock on the volume, but the sound is just loud, it's not full like it should be.  I've read in several places that the Magni gets loud very quick but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I'm wondering if I'm just missing a setting or something on my computer.  The odd thing is if I switch directly over to the e7/e9 combo I don't have a single problem.

Well, when I plugged my Modi into my computer, and set the sound playback device to the Schiit setting, it automatically adjusted my computer's volume to max for me. However, it's probably worth checking to make sure that happened.

You should also turn the volume of your audio app to max, and use the Magni to adjust volume. The only time I wouldn't turn the audio app to max, would be if you have low impedance cans, and you have no volume adjustment on your Magni.

I would also open the Sound settings from Control Panel, and make sure there isn't some setting lurking in there that's been turned down. For example, on the Custom tab, there is a single choice with a check box called "Limited Output". You want to make sure that isn't checked. On the Levels tab, there is yet another volume control, and if you click the Balance button, you'll find two more to adjust per-channel volume. On the Enhancements tab, I usually check "Disable all sound effects" - some of those sound effects can lower the output volume. Finally on the Advanced tab, I make sure both boxes in the exclusive mode section are checked.

Finally, make sure you're using good cables. If you can swap both of them with other cables, that would be worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back