Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,966 of 2,252

Well, when I plugged my Modi into my computer, and set the sound playback device to the Schiit setting, it automatically adjusted my computer's volume to max for me. However, it's probably worth checking to make sure that happened.

You should also turn the volume of your audio app to max, and use the Magni to adjust volume. The only time I wouldn't turn the audio app to max, would be if you have low impedance cans, and you have no volume adjustment on your Magni.

I would also open the Sound settings from Control Panel, and make sure there isn't some setting lurking in there that's been turned down. For example, on the Custom tab, there is a single choice with a check box called "Limited Output". You want to make sure that isn't checked. On the Levels tab, there is yet another volume control, and if you click the Balance button, you'll find two more to adjust per-channel volume. On the Enhancements tab, I usually check "Disable all sound effects" - some of those sound effects can lower the output volume. Finally on the Advanced tab, I make sure both boxes in the exclusive mode section are checked.

Finally, make sure you're using good cables. If you can swap both of them with other cables, that would be worth a shot.

Thanks for the help Kidn.  Most of the steps you described I went through last night.  Still no go.  I even tried it with two other computer and still wasn't getting the sound output I should be.  One thing I didn't think to try was change the cables.  The cables I'm using haven't been used for quite a while but I don't think they are bad cables necessarily.  I'll try swapping them for another pair tonight and see if that works.  

When I plug the M/M in it doesn't do anything to my system volume.  I go in an manually turn it all the way up.  I had read elsewhere on here where people favored setting the computer volume at 25-50% and letting the Magni do the rest from there.  If I try that I have to turn the Magni up almost all the way to get loud.  I personally think the settings on the computer are fine as evidenced by the e7/e9 combo working when I hook it up.  I'm guessing at this point it could be crappy cables or possibly a problem with the amp itself.  Thanks again for the input.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,967 of 2,252
Well, I tried two different interconnects and two other computers...all with the same results...very thin sound on my HD650, HE 400 and very little sound on my DT880's.  

I did try connecting the Magni to my Pure i-20 DAC/ipod dock and the sound was great.  I had the volume right at 10-11 o'clock and that was more than plenty loud.  So I don't know, maybe there is a problem with the modi?  I originally figured since I was getting some sound the Modi must be fine but at this point I don't know.  I sent an email to schiit so hopefully they have a solution.  I really would like to be able to use this little stack at my desktop but so far it isn't happening.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,970 of 2,252
  Well, I tried two different interconnects and two other computers...all with the same results...very thin sound on my HD650, HE 400 and very little sound on my DT880's.  

I did try connecting the Magni to my Pure i-20 DAC/ipod dock and the sound was great.  I had the volume right at 10-11 o'clock and that was more than plenty loud.  So I don't know, maybe there is a problem with the modi?  I originally figured since I was getting some sound the Modi must be fine but at this point I don't know.  I sent an email to schiit so hopefully they have a solution.  I really would like to be able to use this little stack at my desktop but so far it isn't happening.

That is entirely possible. Something could be wonky on your Modi (as much as any of us would prefer to think that every unit from Schiit is perfect, well, sometimes bad things happen). It's probably worth an email to Jason to ask him. Maybe he can think of something else to try.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,971 of 2,252

That is entirely possible. Something could be wonky on your Modi (as much as any of us would prefer to think that every unit from Schiit is perfect, well, sometimes bad things happen). It's probably worth an email to Jason to ask him. Maybe he can think of something else to try.

I finally gave up yesterday afternoon and emailed Schiit.  I wasn't expecting a response back figuring they had probably gone home early for the holiday but we traded emails back and forth and they determined it was a problem with the Modi.  I was pretty impressed with the customer service.  What made it even better is they got me a new Modi shipped out late yesterday.  Hopefully I have better luck this time around.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,972 of 2,252
So, for a newbie, is this a recommended buy for use in an office environment or is the fiio setup a better buy? Obviously I posed a very open ended question, but I am looking at some practical advice

Happy New Year

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,973 of 2,252
So, for a newbie, is this a recommended buy for use in an office environment or is the fiio setup a better buy? Obviously I posed a very open ended question, but I am looking at some practical advice

Happy New Year

I guess it depends on the computers you have at work. I expect most office computers to have terrible integrated audio, so if you got a Magni, your sound source would still suck. A FiiO DAC/amp combo would solve that while remaining cheaper than a Magni, and more portable as well.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #1,975 of 2,252

Happy New Year

I guess that depends on whether or not your employer allows you to plug things in to your work computers.

Where I work, that's not allowed. So my work system is stand-alone (and that means an ipod, an ipod dac, and a cheap amp, with relatively cheap cans).

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,976 of 2,252
Anyone know the input impedance for the Magni? 
If not, I'll just shoot an email to Schiit. 

I'm trying to do the calculations to make some DIY line level attenuators between the Modi and Magni. Thought about picking up the Harrison lab ones, but I enjoy the DIY thing. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,977 of 2,252
First. Thanks. I have a MacBook Pro, probably better than most

I just hooked up my magni to my macbook pro to see how it sounded (I usually have it hooked up to my tower with a xonar dx). It actually sounds pretty good! It sounds better coming from the xonar dx or my rockbox'd ipod classic 5g, but I think the macbook with a magni isn't bad at all. 

You can always get the magni now and a modi later when you have the cash.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,978 of 2,252
I'm loving my Magni with my HD650, but when I'm using it with my Westone 3 IEM, I'm getting some major static interference, especially when my iphone is downloading data. I tried to put the phone far away but it doesn't seem to change anything. Is this normal for a Magni or do I have a faulty one? I would think they use some kind of anti-static device on the amp

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #1,979 of 2,252
  I'm loving my Magni with my HD650, but when I'm using it with my Westone 3 IEM, I'm getting some major static interference, especially when my iphone is downloading data. I tried to put the phone far away but it doesn't seem to change anything. Is this normal for a Magni or do I have a faulty one? I would think they use some kind of anti-static device on the amp

It's not static, it's RFI (radio frequency interference). It's Normal. RFI is a fact of life.

I have experienced the same phenomenon with other amps and electronic devices. Where I grew up, I lived a half mile from a radio station antenna. Every time we tried to use a tape recorder (!), the recorder would pick up the radio station.

Personally, I look at this as a Good Thing. The RFI lets me know when my phone is ringing. Since most of my cans are closed back, that comes in handy.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,980 of 2,252
I currently have my magni hooked up to the output on my motherboard. The motherboard is a Z87E-ITX which has a TI NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier onboard. Am I double amplying my signal and is this a decent setup till I get a modi or another dac? I am using this with some HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back