Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,936 of 2,252

You may find that they both sound good with different music.

+1...or even certain headphones.  Bought my Bravo Audio Ocean for this reason prior to the Vali being announced and definitely prefer listening to some sets through the Ocean and some through the Magni.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #1,937 of 2,252
I just received a Schiit Magni to use as an ancillary amplifier to my Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo. I have the Bifrost/Asgard 2 running out from my computer soundcard via optical and the Magni from the line out. 3.5mm to RCA. I can play both signals at once, which is what I got the Magni for.

However, I am getting some incredible inference through the Magni. It is an oscillating noise that changes with the position of my head. And I only hear it through the Magni. Another bizarre component of this noise is that it only happens with certain headphones
confused.gif
. I can hear these UFO noises with my DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohms. But the DT 770 PRO, 250 Ohms model is dead silent. My HD 380's have alien inference noises through the Magni, but the equally sensitive Shure SRH1540's are dead silent.

I read in one of the Magni threads that this may be due to the wall wart style power supply, which may not filter interference as well as a built in power supply.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,938 of 2,252
I picked up a Magni for use as a bed side rig with an iPod.  I am very, pleased with how it sounds with my Grados.  Great little amp.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,939 of 2,252
... However, I am getting some incredible inference through the Magni. It is an oscillating noise that changes with the position of my head. And I only hear it through the Magni. Another bizarre component of this noise is that it only happens with certain headphones
confused.gif
. I can hear these UFO noises with my DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohms. But the DT 770 PRO, 250 Ohms model is dead silent. My HD 380's have alien inference noises through the Magni, but the equally sensitive Shure SRH1540's are dead silent.

I read in one of the Magni threads that this may be due to the wall wart style power supply, which may not filter interference as well as a built in power supply.

It might be the wall wart, but basically I would suspect RFI. Noise that changes with location is coming from a source external, and close to, the amplifier. I suggest you just move things around in your setup, one at a time, and see which one increases or decreases noise.

Funny story: at work, I keep my cell phone close to my headphone amp (which is not shielded at all). Because I use closed cans, I can't hear the phone ring. However, because the phone is within a foot of the amp, I can hear odd noises when I'm about to receive a text message or get a phone call. LOL. So I use my RFI as a ringtone. Hah
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #1,940 of 2,252
  I picked up a Magni for use as a bed side rig with an iPod.  I am very, pleased with how it sounds with my Grados.  Great little amp.

What are you using as a DAC?

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,941 of 2,252

It might be the wall wart, but basically I would suspect RFI. Noise that changes with location is coming from a source external, and close to, the amplifier. I suggest you just move things around in your setup, one at a time, and see which one increases or decreases noise.

Funny story: at work, I keep my cell phone close to my headphone amp (which is not shielded at all). Because I use closed cans, I can't hear the phone ring. However, because the phone is within a foot of the amp, I can hear odd noises when I'm about to receive a text message or get a phone call. LOL. So I use my RFI as a ringtone. Hah
tongue_smile.gif

I'm using my Creative X-Fi Titanium (Non-HD) as a DAC for the Magni. My Bifrost/Asgard 2 is occupying the soundcard's optical out. This way I can play both simultaneously.

The noise/interference does increase when I hook up the amp to the computer soundcard via 3.5mm to RCA, but I still get a small "UFO nosie" without any source at all plugged in to the Magni!
confused_face(1).gif
. The connection seems to amplify it.

To get maximum interference, I plug the amp in, and then I manipulate my headphone's cord to make theremin-like musical sounds. The rate of my breathing and whether or not I am inhaling or exhaling can ALSO change the pitch!
L3000.gif
 I think I've invented a new instrument.

My Sony receiver nor Asgard 2 have ever done this even when connected directly to my computer soundcard with no DAC in between. Also, all my headphones are dead silent with my other amps.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,252
  No DAC.  Just a simple iPod Classic sitting in an Apple dock.

Interesting. I've done the same thing with an iPod Nano, and also with a Pure i-20 ipod DAC.

I think I would have opted for the Nuforce Icon Ido instead, had I known how bright the Pure i-20 was. I've run the Pure into my Magni, and it was very harsh compared to a Modi run by my laptop.

In any case, the ipod DAC does improve the clarity (if you're interested). There aren't many choices for ipod DAC's. I've only tried the one, and quite frankly it's just not that great. But it is better than no DAC at all.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,944 of 2,252
  I'm using my Creative X-Fi Titanium (Non-HD) as a DAC for the Magni. My Bifrost/Asgard 2 is occupying the soundcard's optical out. This way I can play both simultaneously.

The noise/interference does increase when I hook up the amp to the computer soundcard via 3.5mm to RCA, but I still get a small "UFO nosie" without any source at all plugged in to the Magni!
confused_face(1).gif
. The connection seems to amplify it.

To get maximum interference, I plug the amp in, and then I manipulate my headphone's cord to make theremin-like musical sounds. The rate of my breathing and whether or not I am inhaling or exhaling can ALSO change the pitch!
L3000.gif
 I think I've invented a new instrument.

My Sony receiver nor Asgard 2 have ever done this even when connected directly to my computer soundcard with no DAC in between. Also, all my headphones are dead silent with my other amps.

This is typical of RFI. What you are hearing is the amplification of a signal being generated by some other device.

The question is, do you want to isolate and fix the interfering signal? Or would you prefer to just dump the amp?

If it were me, I'd see if I could figure out what's causing the noise, and try to mitigate the interference. Quite frankly, the next amp you buy might do the same thing. So it might be worth your while, to see if you can figure out what is wonky about your setup, before just condemning the Magni.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #1,945 of 2,252

This is typical of RFI. What you are hearing is the amplification of a signal being generated by some other device.

The question is, do you want to isolate and fix the interfering signal? Or would you prefer to just dump the amp?

If it were me, I'd see if I could figure out what's causing the noise, and try to mitigate the interference. Quite frankly, the next amp you buy might do the same thing. So it might be worth your while, to see if you can figure out what is wonky about your setup, before just condemning the Magni.

Thanks so much for the diagnosis. I will try to do some testing tomorrow. All I really have is my computer and monitor. Both are plugged into an uninterruptible power supply I also have my ethernet cable going into said power supply and out again to the PC. I will try unplugging internet and monitor, but even if they are the cause how would I go about mitigating the interference?

I may just return the Magni for a second Asgard 2, because I already know the Asgard is silent on my desk; plus it has a more usable potentiometer range.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,946 of 2,252
  Thanks so much for the diagnosis. I will try to do some testing tomorrow. All I really have is my computer and monitor. Both are plugged into an uninterruptible power supply I also have my ethernet cable going into said power supply and out again to the PC. I will try unplugging internet and monitor, but even if they are the cause how would I go about mitigating the interference?

I may just return the Magni for a second Asgard 2, because I already know the Asgard is silent on my desk; plus it has a more usable potentiometer range.

Things to mitigate interference:

- Fixing noise on the power line. You said you have an UPS, so that might not be an issue for you.

- Testing the AC line with one of those little circuit testers from the hardware store. Make sure you have good power coming in. Fix any open grounds or reversed leads.

- Basically anything that can generate a signal might be suspect. For example, a radio, a TV, a telephone, cell phone, tablet with WiFi, etc. Something close by is radiating a signal into your setup.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,947 of 2,252
Thanks for your replies guys.

Would it be a worthy purchase getting the Modi DAC?

From the reviews I have read it makes a heavy difference as far as quality goes.

I mostly use them for music/games/movies

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,948 of 2,252
Interesting. I've done the same thing with an iPod Nano, and also with a Pure i-20 ipod DAC.

I think I would have opted for the Nuforce Icon Ido instead, had I known how bright the Pure i-20 was. I've run the Pure into my Magni, and it was very harsh compared to a Modi run by my laptop.

In any case, the ipod DAC does improve the clarity (if you're interested). There aren't many choices for ipod DAC's. I've only tried the one, and quite frankly it's just not that great. But it is better than no DAC at all.

It's a bedside "non-critical" listening rig. Use it before I go to sleep. I've hear mixed reviews of the Pure dock. Just saying what a good sounding inexpensive rig this is. Used iPod Classic, used Magni and Grado SR-60s.:cool:

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,949 of 2,252
  I just received a Schiit Magni to use as an ancillary amplifier to my Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo. I have the Bifrost/Asgard 2 running out from my computer soundcard via optical and the Magni from the line out. 3.5mm to RCA. I can play both signals at once, which is what I got the Magni for.

However, I am getting some incredible inference through the Magni. It is an oscillating noise that changes with the position of my head. And I only hear it through the Magni. Another bizarre component of this noise is that it only happens with certain headphones
confused.gif

Hmm noticed something weird, when I plug my Sennheiser HD 598s in with the stock cable I get some 'alien' noises and oscillation in the right ear, but if I use the cable I bought from ebay on the same headphones it doesn't make the noise.  Very strange.

Also I can stop the noises by using a 3.5mm extension cable connected to the stock cable.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the 3 ring connector on the 2.5mm end of the HD 598 stock cable because it's only in one ear.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,950 of 2,252
  Hmm noticed something weird, when I plug my Sennheiser HD 598s in with the stock cable I get some 'alien' noises and oscillation in the right ear, but if I use the cable I bought from ebay on the same headphones it doesn't make the noise.  Very strange.

Also I can stop the noises by using a 3.5mm extension cable connected to the stock cable.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the 3 ring connector on the 2.5mm end of the HD 598 stock cable because it's only in one ear.

Yeah, with my HD 380's I have only the radio frequency interference in one ear.

I have also noticed that the two headphones that make noise with my Magni are ones I've owned for a couple years. The two silent phones are somewhat newer. It's as if the older the cable, the more worn and prone to the potentially inherent interference.

EDIT: I talked to Schiit and they think this behaviour is not normal and are gonna send me another one. I have my fingers crossed because this little amp really does sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back