Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
May 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,086 of 2,252

I've got a friend who runs all his power cords, audio cables, interconnects, etc through plastic tubing to keep his rabbits from chewing through. You always gotta be careful with pets!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Is it very large tubing? I ask because know a cat that sawed through steel braided Cable overtime. It was impossible to stop him as he did it quietly and under perfect camouflage.

May 24, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,088 of 2,252
Hi, have anyone tried the magni with the SE846 and FX850. Both are sensitive iems and wonders if there's any issue running them thru the magni. Been thinking of getting the magni or O2 as a bedside rig running straight from my dap. I also have a HD650 that I can use.

May 24, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #2,089 of 2,252
Hi, have anyone tried the magni with the SE846 and FX850. Both are sensitive iems and wonders if there's any issue running them thru the magni. Been thinking of getting the magni or O2 as a bedside rig running straight from my dap. I also have a HD650 that I can use.

I tried the 850 but only briefly. Pretty much no play in the volume knob which is a problem with the the magnitude channel imbalance at very low volumes.
I think there was a bit of a noise floor when the music isn't playing, but I'll have to double check.

May 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,090 of 2,252
I tried the 850 but only briefly. Pretty much no play in the volume knob which is a problem with the the magnitude channel imbalance at very low volumes.
I think there was a bit of a noise floor when the music isn't playing, but I'll have to double check.

Thanks for the thoughts kamakahah. Looks like the output is high for the likes of FX850 and SE846.

May 24, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #2,091 of 2,252
If you get a -12db attenuator it works very well. Harrison Labs hot some for about $25 that works really well.

May 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,092 of 2,252
If you get a -12db attenuator it works very well. Harrison Labs hot some for about $25 that works really well.

Thank you peter123 for chipping in. In your opinion, do you think that the sound will be altered in anyway with the attenuator. Pardon me but have never used one before. Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #2,093 of 2,252
Thank you peter123 for chipping in. In your opinion, do you think that the sound will be altered in anyway with the attenuator. Pardon me but have never used one before. Thanks in advance.

No, I don't notice any change in the sound whatsoever. This topic was discussed quite a bit when the Magni was first released. If you search this thread you should find more opinions. If I remember correct I never read about anyone mentioning that they felt the sound changed.

May 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #2,094 of 2,252
No, I don't notice any change in the sound whatsoever. This topic was discussed quite a bit when the Magni was first released. If you search this thread you should find more opinions. If I remember correct I never read about anyone mentioning that they felt the sound changed.

Ok. Good to know. Sorry if I didn't search the thread as I'm posting from my phone. Thanks for the lead and will check up the earlier post when I'm back on my pc. Thanks again peter123.

May 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,096 of 2,252
Thinking about making a pair rather than paying $25 for an RCA connection with a couple resistors. Though I do like a small, compact product.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #2,097 of 2,252
Magni puts out a lot of heat, and doesn't take too long to heat up. It always has me worried, I tend to have very long sessions on the computer where the magni can be on for 4-6 hours at once, and it usually pretty hot in my room to begin with. How worried should I be about the heat the magni puts out?

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,100 of 2,252

I tried the SE846 with a USB Modi => Sys => Magni setup. Both the Sys and Magni are dialed to 10 o'clock.

I can definitely tell that the output from the Magni is different than the output directly from my computer's or digital audio player. The response is flatter, especially in the midrange.

This is a shame considering the noise floor from the Schiit stack is significantly lower than my computer's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back