Schiit Lyr versus Violectric HPA V200?
May 29, 2012 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
Hey Guys

Has any one done a comparison of these two amps?  The Lyr being a hybrid, and the V200 getting written about as "tube sounding" or warm for a SS, I'm interested to hear any impressions, and I couldn't find anything in detail via a google search.

I guess the V200 is more versatile ie will pair with low impedance cans. But its also £200 more expensive, so I'm just trying to work out what the points of difference are from others experience.  Will probably end up trying to get hold of one to audition for myself, but very interested to hear your take...

Cheers

May 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

I own the V200 and have heard the Lyr. The Lyr is a hybrid amp and is quite powerful, even more than the V200 when it comes to low ohm output power. The sound of the V200 and Lyr is different. The V200 is a midrange centered amp with a slight emphasis on bass and rolled treble. The Lyr is still warm but has a more neutral signature. There is a bit more treble presence and the midrange is toasty warm, and the bass being tight and a tad less defined than the V200.

The Lyr is suited for lower impedance models and specializes with high current output. The V200 is more optimizes for varying loads and can handle mostly everything that's tossed at it. I don't remember how the Lyr does with high impedance loads though.

Quote:
Hey Guys

Has any one done a comparison of these two amps?  The Lyr being a hybrid, and the V200 getting written about as "tube sounding" or warm for a SS, I'm interested to hear any impressions, and I couldn't find anything in detail via a google search.

I guess the V200 is more versatile ie will pair with low impedance cans. But its also £200 more expensive, so I'm just trying to work out what the points of difference are from others experience.  Will probably end up trying to get hold of one to audition for myself, but very interested to hear your take...

Cheers

May 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks!  I'm enjoying the Lyr with my T1s.  But I could still send it back and try the V200. Decisions, decisions...

**** it, I've put an order in for the V200. If I don't hear it, I won't know, will I.  I'm looking to settle my rig down for the forseeable future, so might as well get it right...

May 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks!  I'm enjoying the Lyr with my T1s.  But I could still send it back and try the V200. Decisions, decisions...

**** it, I've put an order in for the V200. If I don't hear it, I won't know, will I.  I'm looking to settle my rig down for the forseeable future, so might as well get it right...

Did you notice a turn on-turn off noise on the lyr? some people complain about this. 

May 31, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 5
I haven't (other than a slight "tinkling" that I attributed to the valves warming up over the first half hour...)

I really like the Lyr, it has a big soundstage and has definitely given me the body in the sound I was missing from the (excellently detailed) MDAC.  But there is still just a little too much treble edge for me to be interested to hear the V200.  And then there is the "only suitable for hard to drive cans" issue.

I'm really excited to hear the V200, it can't come soon enough!  I'm very much learning what I like as I listen.  But pretty sure I will stick with the Lyr or the V200. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back