Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #349 of 23,494
So, I just received my Schiit Lyr, and of course I'm interested in tube rolling.  I've heard about a few things in particular I'm trying to find, and more importantly trying to find from somebody reputable.  Anybody able to give me a heads up on where I can acquire tube extenders that are compatible with the Lyr?  That's my first priority, and the second thing I'm looking for is closely matched pairs of either the Telefunken or Siemens E288CC.  I'm curious if anybody has a list of reputable places online to order NOS tubes from, as I know there are counterfeits floating around for some of these.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #350 of 23,494
So, I just received my Schiit Lyr, and of course I'm interested in tube rolling.  I've heard about a few things in particular I'm trying to find, and more importantly trying to find from somebody reputable.  Anybody able to give me a heads up on where I can acquire tube extenders that are compatible with the Lyr?  That's my first priority, and the second thing I'm looking for is closely matched pairs of either the Telefunken or Siemens E288CC.  I'm curious if anybody has a list of reputable places online to order NOS tubes from, as I know there are counterfeits floating around for some of these.

Thanks.
Brent Jessee has an amazing reputation, and is one of the most trustworthy vendors:
http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
Mercedesman on ebay is also very trustworthy. Upscale Audio and Tubemonger are worthwhile options. There are of course additional vendors with great reputations, tubeworld.com for example. Tubemonger also carries the socket savers you mentioned:
http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #351 of 23,494
Thanks for the information.  I ordered a pair of socket savers, and I'm going to run the stock tubes with the Lyr for awhile.  It looks like there's two different sets I'd really like to try out in the Lyr, but need to wait until I get paid again (hah).

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #354 of 23,494
Quote:
Need help identifying tubes they are in a solid white box on bottom of box JAN 6922 dates on box are A 3/86 number on box is universal code 5960-00-676-9016
Tubes are green lettering unreadable please help!!

The description of the box makes it seem like they might be USN-CEPs, but they didn't have green lettering.

I wouldn't trust the box, those tubes could have been put in any old box.

The markings on the tube are probably a better clue.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #355 of 23,494
Quote:

The description of the box makes it seem like they might be USN-CEPs, but they didn't have green lettering.

I wouldn't trust the box, those tubes could have been put in any old box.

The markings on the tube are probably a better clue.

Here's a photo of the USN-CEPs I just sold:

The stock number on the box is right, but as you can see, the lettering on the tubes is white.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #357 of 23,494
Quote:
It could be these:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=370697035778

Looks like the code matches these Philips JAN 6922's. Never heard them. Don't know the ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-USA-JAN-6922-Tube-Military-Spec-6DJ8-Premium-Quality-ECC88-E88CC-CCa-/370831828059

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #358 of 23,494
"Thanks! My source (APL NWO DAC) is quite a bit different then the Bifrost, so my impressions may differ from others here. What DAC are you using?
Edited by rb2013 - Yesterday at 5:01 pm"

I have a Bifrost Uber and a Lite DAC60. The DAC60 has 6DJ8 tube outputs and uses a DF1704 and PCM1704 (24/96 non Delta/Sigma):

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

System components in my sig. My profile has extensive details.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #359 of 23,494
"Thanks! My source (APL NWO DAC) is quite a bit different then the Bifrost, so my impressions may differ from others here. What DAC are you using?
Edited by rb2013 - Yesterday at 5:01 pm"

I have a Bifrost Uber and a Lite DAC60. The DAC60 has 6DJ8 tube outputs and uses a DF1704 and PCM1704 (24/96 non Delta/Sigma):

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

System components in my sig. My profile has extensive details.

Sorry my Andriod tablett doesn't show signatures for some reason. I have a Lite Dac 83, they are very good with right tube. In my office I also have a Xindak DAC5, which uses the 6dj8 as well. For $500 used a real bargain in DACland. With the '75 Gray shield 6n23p Voskhod it gets within spitting distance of the big APL DAC. That says alot! Uses the AD1852. Like Lite Dac83 got 4of5 stars on the Darko Dac index. I bet both reviewed with stock tubes.
Just went through a bunch tube rolling on the Xindak...the single wire getter post Silver Shield '74 Refektors were really good to. These differ from the double dimpled getter support Reflectors.
How does the Bifrost compare to the Lite?

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #360 of 23,494
Quote:
Sorry my Andriod tablett doesn't show signatures for some reason. I have a Lite Dac 83, they are very good with right tube. In my office I also have a Xindak DAC5, which uses the 6dj8 as well. For $500 used a real bargain in DACland. With the '75 Gray shield 6n23p Voskhod it gets within spitting distance of the big APL DAC. That says alot! Uses the AD1852. Like Lite Dac83 got 4of5 stars on the Darko Dac index. I bet both reviewed with stock tubes.
Just went through a bunch tube rolling on the Xindak...the single wire getter post Silver Shield '74 Refektors were really good to. These differ from the double dimpled getter support Reflectors.
How does the Bifrost compare to the Lite?

No problem on the sig. Wow, nice DAC inventory there!

The DAC60 is great with good tubes. I ran the National 6922s in it for quite a while, but give a slight edge to the Voskhods in the DAC. My DAC60 started life as a GR-Research modified unit, which replaced the output caps with a combo of Sonicaps and Sonicap Platinums, and more caps replacements around the 1704 power supply (Black Gates, Oscons, Elna Silmic).

I further modified the power supply with choke regulation (as oppsosed to a single resistor) and BHC Aerovox power supply capacitors. Also added teflon-silver input wire. It sounds very, very good. Very non-fatiguing, huge soundstage and lifelike tone. Somewhat rolled off in the treble, bass a little round, but glorious mids (tubes, tubes, tubes). I am also a big fan of the PCM1704.

The Bifrost is another beast altogether. Much lower self-noise, better detail retrieval, but still quite smooth and inviting. Better balance overall than the DAC60, tighter bass and extended treble. The DAC60 displays 'better' mids. The Bifrost's soundstage is not as large, and reproduction of string-based acoustic is not quite as 'live' sounding. That said, I love the Bifrost, and think it's the best combo of price/performance of anything I ever purchased; my AKG 702 Annies are  a close second.

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back