Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #361 of 23,494
Very cool mods! I have to correct myself, I have an older version of the Lite 68, which uses the AD1852, although I have been eyeing the 83 at Pacific.
My Lite has been siting in my closet, as I prefer the Xindak and of course the APL NWO beast.

I bet those mods really helped. I've been toying with send off the Xindak and one of my Bada 3.3SEs for a recapping and rewiring.

Thanks for info on the Bifrost - although l'm a tube DAC for the reasons you so well stated. That rare liveness/realness quality, midrange sweetness, and large soundstage. The APL adds the transperancy, and high and low extension - with an even greater degree of the dynamic realness quality, over the Lite and Xindak.

Thanks again.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #362 of 23,494
New to tube rolling here, Do you have to clean the pins when you just first receive a vintage tube?  Also, do these tubes sounds better after burn in or does it sounds pretty how it is sounding right of bat?

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #363 of 23,494
New to tube rolling here, Do you have to clean the pins when you just first receive a vintage tube?  Also, do these tubes sounds better after burn in or does it sounds pretty how it is sounding right of bat?
Cleaning the pins can help prevent connection issues. How they're cleaned depends on the type of pin. Scraping the pins gently with an exacto knife is effective- but should NOT be done on tubes with gold pins. For gold pins, it's best just to apply a cleanser like Deoxit before using them. Generally, tubes begin to sound their best after 10-20 hours of burn in.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #364 of 23,494
Thank you good sir/ma'am.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #365 of 23,494
well, to get started, got some bugle boys on the way
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321195871766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

lets see if they are better than the old GE's

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #366 of 23,494
I just received my pair of orang globe aA frame, I'm not convinced yet I like them better than the stock GE. They seem to be more simbliance than I like and less energetic. I only have 3 hrs. On then currently.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #367 of 23,494
Quote:
I just received my pair of orang globe aA frame, I'm not convinced yet I like them better than the stock GE. They seem to be more simbliance than I like and less energetic. I only have 3 hrs. On then currently.

I believe this is the one I have, it's a 1971 A-Frame Amperex Orange Globe. I didn't have much luck with it, the HD800 was way too sibilant and fatiguing. It also sucked hard with the DT660 and was hit or miss with the AD2000x (although the hits were amazing). It did, however, mesh well with my Denon D2000, it really brought out the midrange. Colored as all hell, but in a beautiful way.

I have some impressions to post later, after some testing. My favorite tube is still the 79 Voskhod, but I'm noticing it is really bass-lite on the HD800 and it is really starting to dampen the experience (there is virtually no "crunch" on backing guitar riffs, so the issue is more lower mid-range than outright bass). However, it is the best of the ones I have at controlling the treble and sibilance. The Siemens I also bought ended up having weird properties...total failure on everything for the HD800 EXCEPT heavy metal, which it excelled with.

To be totally honest, the best match I have found for the HD800 is the KR-9400. No treble issue (flat EQ) and just far more musical than any of the tubes I bought. In my listening tests, I had been skipping over "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" (Celine Dion) because of the length/repetitiveness, but I was getting goosebumps from the KR-9400 session with it and ended up listening to it for a half hour! Ironically, it probably sounds the most "tube-like", although at the expense of some headroom compared to the Lyr.

At this point, I think I am going to try some Mullards to see if they can tame the highs on the HD800, while injecting some warmness/musicality and if not, I might start looking at abandoning the Lyr. Tube-rolling would be way more fun if weren't so damn expensive!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #368 of 23,494
I agree on the tube rolling being expensive as the better one is pretty pricey. I have the he500 and the OG A frame is suppose to be a good match, but I haven't find that yet. The sound stage seem to be smaller and instruments seems less rounded and tight. I haven't given up on this tube yet and after using this for 20 hrs and I still feel the same, I'll probably try a little higher up in quality tubes and see what's going there. If I still don't see the light then I'm going to just stick with the GE tube and call it good. I'm actually pretty happy with the lyr and GE stock tube + HE500. To tube rolling is expensive as IMO the improvement and differences are very little in the scheme of cost to value ratio. It is fun though. To be fair, I'm being critical for the little time I have spent with them. :p let the tube rolling time continue! :D

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #369 of 23,494
Amperex is supposed to be a somewhat warm tube. For orthos (which have natural good bass/low end) I would want to try either Siemens or a Voskhod, which are more transparent and would enhance their natural strengths. That would be my theory, anyway. I just borrowed an LCD2 and an HE500 from the Cable Company...hope to have them over the long weekend to test that theory.

Then again, I didn't think the Siemens + HD800 would result in a pairing that worked good on classic metal nor did I think the AD2000x + the Amperexes would be painfully sibilant. I have a lot to learn about tubes.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #370 of 23,494
I'll keep that as a mental note. I want to try some telefunken or Siemens CCa. Wish I can try them first before buying, plus it mind boggles me that I'm paying $$$ for some light bulb hhaha but I still buy them.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #372 of 23,494
Quote:
Don't forget you can always sell them tubes if you don't like them!

That is why I'm trying to test as many via The Cable Company and my own headphones as possible before putting them up for sale. My problem is I know the HD800 is a finnicky diva of a headphone (and I'm probably going to sell off the AD2000x because of the fit), so I'm trying to test as many headphones as possible before I wave the white flag on these overpriced tubes.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #373 of 23,494
Hey GoldfishX, I just signed up to borrow some headphones from the cable company!  I wouldn't have known about it if not for your posts about it here.  Thanks for the tip! 
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #374 of 23,494
Glad to help! I found out about it the same way, from people's posts. It's a great service. Instead of blindly buying a headphone, I get to listen to several and use the credits from my borrowing to buy the best one (that was the first thing I asked them, if I borrow like 10 headphones, do the credits stack). I called them today from work, asked them a few questions, asked if they had the HE-500 and LCD2 available, gave them my info and the guy said I should have them for the holiday weekend. For me, was a no brainer.

Honestly, part of me is regretting dropping $1500 on the HD800 and seeing the used market flooded with them now. They are regularly listed for $1000 and under now. Not 100% sure I would have bought them as a first choice. That said, I refuse to buy either Hifiman or Audeze headphones without testing their comfort factor first. HD800's are super comfy at least.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #375 of 23,494
GoldfishX, let me know what you think of the LCD-2.  Those are the ones I signed up for.  He said he just sent some to California and I should get those after that person.  (Who knows, it might be you!)  I can't wait to hear them.  I had to return a pair of HE-500's a week ago because they weren't for me, I like more bass than they generate.  I decided if I was able to, I would borrow some LCD-2's before I bought them.  I hope I like them!  I really want to like them.  I hope they sound as good as I imagine.  But we will now find out!  Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back