Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #376 of 23,494
Yeah, I'm keeping a log of my tube/headphone experiences. Will post what I have later, when I get home.

I was going to request the LCD3, but I figure if I like the LCD2, the LCD3 should be a nice improvement. Was cheaper to borrow than the LCD3. ~_^

And no, I'm in Maryland. He said I was lucky both of the ones I wanted, they had. I was going to request either the HD600 or HD650 as a backup, still might.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #378 of 23,494
Tuna47, can you list the tubes you own so I know which direction I want to head next?

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #379 of 23,494
Can you suggest some tubes for HD800 guys? The JJtubes from Schiit is just to bright for the 800...

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #380 of 23,494
Can you suggest some tubes for HD800 guys? The JJtubes from Schiit is just to bright for the 800...

Siemens & Halske CCa Grey Plates (10/10); Telefunken E88CC (9.5/10); Amperex USN-CEP (9/10). Amperex Pinched Waist 6933's also scored 10/10 in my personal rating, but these are almost impossible to find, and extremely expensive if you do find them. All these ratings are based on listening to Classical music.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #381 of 23,494
Quote:

Some 60's Mullard 6DJ8's would take the edge off, give you just enough warmth without sacrificing the detail.  Nice full instrument timbre too which can give the 800's a bit more meat on the bone.
LaRadiotechnique RTC E188CC, green ink, 60's...beautiful, very musical, well-balanced tubes. Fantastic soundstage and detail.  Not as warm as the Mullards to my ears.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #383 of 23,494
Nice. So far I'm not sure if I'm getting use to them or they are slowly sounding better. I only have 4-5 hrs. Now. I know I'm a slow listener. It going take me awhile to reach that 20 hrs. Mark.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #384 of 23,494
Very cool mods! I have to correct myself, I have an older version of the Lite 68, which uses the AD1852, although I have been eyeing the 83 at Pacific.
My Lite has been siting in my closet, as I prefer the Xindak and of course the APL NWO beast.

I bet those mods really helped. I've been toying with send off the Xindak and one of my Bada 3.3SEs for a recapping and rewiring.

Thanks for info on the Bifrost - although l'm a tube DAC for the reasons you so well stated. That rare liveness/realness quality, midrange sweetness, and large soundstage. The APL adds the transperancy, and high and low extension - with an even greater degree of the dynamic realness quality, over the Lite and Xindak.

Thanks again.

And then... some nights you just want to pound back beer and white stripes. I swear a can on a string will do on those nights.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #385 of 23,494
Cleaning the pins can help prevent connection issues. How they're cleaned depends on the type of pin. Scraping the pins gently with an exacto knife is effective- but should NOT be done on tubes with gold pins. For gold pins, it's best just to apply a cleanser like Deoxit before using them. Generally, tubes begin to sound their best after 10-20 hours of burn in.

Anyone have a Canadian source for deoxit?

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #387 of 23,494
Nice. So far I'm not sure if I'm getting use to them or they are slowly sounding better. I only have 4-5 hrs. Now. I know I'm a slow listener. It going take me awhile to reach that 20 hrs. Mark.

if you are brave, depending on the cost of your phones... run them unattended in a box. Better yet, use a set of cheepies.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #389 of 23,494
Quote:
I know the Gold Lions had some favor back in the earliest days of the previous thread, and as much as I love some of the NOS tubes (currently '76 Rockets; had some '68 OG's that I never really liked), I'm really curious what the opinion is on some of the new production tubes. After all, the good NOS tubes will eventually all dry up or be priced out of reach and we'll inevitably be discussing this. So.. JJ's, Electro-Harmonix, Gold Lions? Anyone even trying these out and comparing to the NOS tubes?

gold lions super cryo+600+laura marling=pure breath taking

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #390 of 23,494
I was just listening to a set of Tesla E88CC Gold Pins on the Lyr/Bifrost-Uber with HD800's and ATH-AD2000's. These tubes were discussed a few times in the prior thread, and I picked up 2 sets awhile ago, but this is the first time I've had a chance to give them a listen.

Just to get my ears ready, I first listened with Amperex USN-CEP's, which are among my favorite tubes. Then I rolled in the Tesla's and wow, the Tesla's are very close in performance to the Amperex. The Tesla's have a tiny bit more warmth (which ain't necessarily a bad thing) but are detailed across the spectrum with a similar soundstage (medium wide) and presentation. They sounded excellent with both headphones (listening to classical). 9/10.

These have to be one of the best bargains out there at around $50 per pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back