Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #23,476 of 23,494
I have quickly tried two gold frame grid Telefunken PCC88's. First impression is that these are nice sounding tubes (maybe a bit thin in the bass/lower midrange) but nothing special. I have to give these tubes some more time but I think I like the 1960 Philips E88CC "PTT" better. I still need to try the Tesla's and RFT's as well, should make a nice comparison.

Meanwhile did find some decent testing unicorn tubes in my stash:

IMG_0489.jpg

Siemens PCC88 with angled D-getters and DJO/≠6K and DJO/≠6L date codes. These codes would date the PCC88's at 1956 and therefore these are likely some of the very first 6DJ8/ECC88/E88CC/PCC88 types ever produced. Strange thing is the Siemens do not have pinched waists. Very limited info online on the DJ0 PCC88's, I do own a 1957 Valvo DJ0 but this does have a PW and normal D-getter. Need some more time on these Siemens PCC88's to form an opinion on the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #23,478 of 23,494
Have been testing 6DJ8/ECC88/E88CC/6922/PCC88 tubes from my collection quite extensively last couple of weeks. And although most of them produce solid results on the AVO tester, this unfortunately does not guarantee flawless operation in my amp. Even though the tubes have nicely balanced sections and (very) good levels of mA/V, noise remains a serious issue with a susbtantial percentage of these tubes compared to other ECCxx tubes. I think that approx. 15-20% do not meet my zero noise tolerance level, even after using tube dampers. Does anyone know whether noise levels with these tubes is circuit related? Is a noisy tube in one amp a noisy tube in all amps/circuits? Hate to throw away good testing tubes...

Initial listening impressions indicate that early 60's Valvo PCC88 (DJ1 / DJ2) and 1960's Telefunken ECC88 gold grid's are very solid performers and still a good budget option compared to all the unicorn / holy grail tubes mentioned in this thread.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #23,479 of 23,494
Have been testing 6DJ8/ECC88/E88CC/6922/PCC88 tubes from my collection quite extensively last couple of weeks. And although most of them produce solid results on the AVO tester, this unfortunately does not guarantee flawless operation in my amp. Even though the tubes have nicely balanced sections and (very) good levels of mA/V, noise remains a serious issue with a susbtantial percentage of these tubes compared to other ECCxx tubes. I think that approx. 15-20% do not meet my zero noise tolerance level, even after using tube dampers. Does anyone know whether noise levels with these tubes is circuit related? Is a noisy tube in one amp a noisy tube in all amps/circuits? Hate to throw away good testing tubes...

Initial listening impressions indicate that early 60's Valvo PCC88 (DJ1 / DJ2) and 1960's Telefunken ECC88 gold grid's are very solid performers and still a good budget option compared to all the unicorn / holy grail tubes mentioned in this thread.
In my experience tube noise levels are definitely linked to the equipment that you have.
In one amp the tube is noisy; in another quiet. Some amps are
much more sensitive than others.
If you plan to throw away good testing tubes, please send them to me…

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #23,480 of 23,494

I’m not in any way negating your search for low noise. But at some point I think we become so good at detecting noise that it destroys enjoyment. My vintage tube amps make audible noise when no music is playing, audible if I put my ear close to the speaker. I am 100% sure that that noise remains during the music, but it doesn’t matter to me. By the way I don’t listen to classical pieces that go down to near-zero volume. So some of your tubes may be good for some people.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #23,481 of 23,494
I’m not in any way negating your search for low noise. But at some point I think we become so good at detecting noise that it destroys enjoyment. My vintage tube amps make audible noise when no music is playing, audible if I put my ear close to the speaker. I am 100% sure that that noise remains during the music, but it doesn’t matter to me. By the way I don’t listen to classical pieces that go down to near-zero volume. So some of your tubes may be good for some people.
My older tube amp is a Cary and it is pretty much noise free once I re-capped it. My newer amp is noise free by design, a PrimaLuna. I have much more trouble with tube phono amps since they are very sensitive. On older receivers I tend to use loads on each phono input to reduce cross talk.

As far as tubes I prefer, I only kept Reflektor silver shields, 1974, 1975, and 1976 6n23p.

I use those in a Melos SHA-1, one of the earliest headphone amps ever made.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #23,483 of 23,494
Getting back into it. Been burning in my 1951 Bendix eclipse pioneer's. My Lord. I've had these for at least 4-5 years and FINALLY getting around to checking them out. The synergy with the MJ2, Gumby and ZMF Ori's are magical. Now, who did I get those off of from here?

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #23,484 of 23,494
I think it might be time for me to try some more tubes in my lyr 3. It's been quite some time since I have really had much other than the 50s foton tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #23,486 of 23,494
I think it might be time for me to try some more tubes in my lyr 3. It's been quite some time since I have really had much other than the 50s foton tubes.
I’ve been wearing out those Foton triple mica’s from the 50’s for years now. I have 3 pairs and they be gold!! !! Thank you….. AuditoryCanvas
Good idea, I’ll hit the Lyr3 myself again as it’s been months. Have many dozens of tubes to roll. But I just bought a turntable so a new rabbit hole has been dug out. Called the exterminators and they told me “good luck”!!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #23,488 of 23,494
Anyone into turntables and rolling? I also bought a solid state Flux RT-10 but I always got back to tubes.
It’s really difficult with a turntable to “tune in” the sound. Album dependent and if it’s old school or a new press, I swear I go through all my headphones and quite a few rolls before I can get the sound that even ”sounds” good.
Am I just a TT noob or do any of you experience this fun, which it can be.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #23,489 of 23,494
Just waxing nostalgic over all the info and friendships I developed on this thread over the years. Not on much anymore but am still enjoying the music.
I miss you guys and hope that you are all well. Sammy, AC and Wes...as you can see you are to this day still honored in my signature.
Cheers !!!

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #23,490 of 23,494
This was a cool thread back when. Not saying that the revitalization isn’t, but it hummed before Covid. Amazing how it upended the way the world lives, and the way it will live moving forward. Thank God for music, family and friends.
Peace!!

Whatever happened to Tk?
I asked a few times but it’s always been rickets. Just curious as he was a staple of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back