Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #23,461 of 23,494
Everyone sees this at the top of the page and thinks....................whaaaaaaaaaat???? 7 months later, here we are, if anyone responds.

I have a pair of Pcc88 Tung-Sols........ I have a Schiit MJ2 and the current Lyr. I couldn't find anything online if this tube runs straight in or needs an adapter, so my amp doesn't fry. I am nowhere close to looking at a tube and knowing, as I don't have the knowledge. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What happened to this thread anyway?
Well, seems everybody must have found their dream tubes!

I'm not clear on which Lyr you have though. The "current" version is the Lyr +. Most of this thread was about the Lyr 2. And the immediate successor to the Lyr 2 was the Lyr 3, which has a couple threads of its own. Both the Lyr + and Lyr 3 use a 6SN7 natively, so yes you'd need a 6SN7-->6922 adapter to use your PCC88 (the PCC88 is basically an ECC88 (or 6DJ8/6922) with a 7 volt heater voltage). Should work fine in most circuits that provide 6.3v heater voltage. If you have the original Lyr or the Lyr 2, then the PCC88 will plug right in with no need for adapters. Hope this helps?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #23,462 of 23,494
Well, seems everybody must have found their dream tubes!

I'm not clear on which Lyr you have though. The "current" version is the Lyr +. Most of this thread was about the Lyr 2. And the immediate successor to the Lyr 2 was the Lyr 3, which has a couple threads of its own. Both the Lyr + and Lyr 3 use a 6SN7 natively, so yes you'd need a 6SN7-->6922 adapter to use your PCC88 (the PCC88 is basically an ECC88 (or 6DJ8/6922) with a 7 volt heater voltage). Should work fine in most circuits that provide 6.3v heater voltage. If you have the original Lyr or the Lyr 2, then the PCC88 will plug right in with no need for adapters. Hope this helps?
Hey man, thanx for the response. What you wrote is exactly what I was looking for. As for the Lyr, I have the LYR3 which does take the 6SN7. I misspoke.
I needed to know about the PCC88 going straight into the MJ2. Now I know it’s just a ECC88. Thanx for the heater voltage education. Perfect. A set of NOS tubes never used, but now will be.
Thank you sir!!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #23,463 of 23,494
Hey man, thanx for the response. What you wrote is exactly what I was looking for. As for the Lyr, I have the LYR3 which does take the 6SN7. I misspoke.
I needed to know about the PCC88 going straight into the MJ2. Now I know it’s just a ECC88. Thanx for the heater voltage education. Perfect. A set of NOS tubes never used, but now will be.
Thank you sir!!
KOOOOOVEEEEER!!!!

Good to see you man, hope all is well in your world!

PC88s work fine in the MJ2 by the way.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #23,464 of 23,494
I have some nice ECCXX unicorn tubes in my collection as well. I still need to decide which amp to buy to get some use on them. I recently sold an amp which used ECC83's and now I only have the Elekit and BHC that both use ECC82's only. Might be tempted to buy a ZMF Pendant or Lyr.

1956 Philips Heerlen CV455 Tk1 Delta6C Foilstrip D Getter:

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

1956 Philips (Valvo) Hamburg CV455 Tk1 D6C Angled Square Getter:

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

1950's Brimar Footscray CV492 KB/FB 1B3 Long Black Plate Square Getter:

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

1958 GEC Marconi / M.W.T CV492 / B339 B8L Long Grey Plate D Getter:

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #23,465 of 23,494
And a NOS pair of Valvo Pinched Waist E81CC / 6201 Triple Mica Double Support D Getter:

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #23,466 of 23,494
Hehe we're still here :) I still haven't parted with my tube collection, I was just telling a friend about the 'legendary' Reflektors 1975 SWGPs lol that right now are going for crazy money (i don't know if they are selling but if they are lmao, they are good tubes but the prices.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/264241926067 https://www.ebay.com/itm/113691595544). I remember getting a batch of 20 of them with nickel pins that tested great from a US seller that cost me like 120$ for 2 lots of 10 and then I matched them out and sold at like 200$ as they were not my holy grails. Nowadays I don't even have a grail I rarely roll, I rarely listen most of my gear, tubes and HPs collecting dust but it's mine :) Seems like tubes could have been a good investment if they weren't an absolute bitch to sell reliably lol

Edit: The ones I sold clean af :D Now apparently worth 500-1500$ depending on who you ask. I have even lost track of my big famous E88CCs I have a batch of low testing Eindhovens and so on somewhere, tube rolling was a damn journey!

1688113853294.png

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #23,467 of 23,494
Hehe we're still here :) I still haven't parted with my tube collection, I was just telling a friend about the 'legendary' Reflektors 1975 SWGPs lol that right now are going for crazy money (i don't know if they are selling but if they are lmao, they are good tubes but the prices.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/264241926067 https://www.ebay.com/itm/113691595544). I remember getting a batch of 20 of them with nickel pins that tested great from a US seller that cost me like 120$ for 2 lots of 10 and then I matched them out and sold at like 200$ as they were not my holy grails. Nowadays I don't even have a grail I rarely roll, I rarely listen most of my gear, tubes and HPs collecting dust but it's mine :) Seems like tubes could have been a good investment if they weren't an absolute bitch to sell reliably lol

Edit: The ones I sold clean af :D Now apparently worth 500-1500$ depending on who you ask. I have even lost track of my big famous E88CCs I have a batch of low testing Eindhovens and so on somewhere, tube rolling was a damn journey!

1688113853294.png
Whatever you do don't part with your tube collection. These are just the different phases of life you are going through with changing focus and interests. It's likely that you come back to tubes and audio with vengeance. I have had the same with audio, tubes, music, vinyl, sports, wine etc. and I have just been on a $1000+ spending spree for new tubes after more than a year without any interest whatsoever.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #23,468 of 23,494

And yes I have a mean collection of 6DJ8's/ECC88 types and several vintages of the hyped Reflektor 6N23P's and they are indeed not all that. I will stick with my 1950's pinched waist E88CC, CCA and PCC88 :wink:

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #23,469 of 23,494
Wow, I should have held on to my matched quad of 1975 SWGP Reflektors! That is indeed stupid money for these tubes. All thanks (mostly) to one write up comparing the "holy grails" of this tube type, but also acknowledging many users also provided positive feedback including myself.

The original review author's reference to them as the Holy Grails probably further inflated pricing. So dumb, but hey, if the sellers can get those prices, more power to them. They are rather nice tubes, particularly if you are looking for more of a solid state sound. I'm not dogging this tube, I enjoyed mine, but it isn't even remotely worthy of this crazy pricing and it is definitely not the holy grail of this tube type in my humble opinion.

I sold mine because I preferred my Amperex PQ's.

P.S. If someone is looking to buy, brandmix19 on ebay is a solid seller of these tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #23,471 of 23,494
It seems that nowadays I'm just buying amps to fit my ever growing tube collection. Or buy amps for tubes that I want to collect....

Last week I bought a HAD Maestral II headphone amp. Really nice OTL amp with double 6AS7G/6080/5998 and 6DJ8/ECC88 driver.

IMG_0472.jpg

With a first dive in the collection I came up with the following tubes to try out:

IMG_0469.jpg

Siemens CCA, Telefunken E88CC, 1956 Philips E88CC "PW (with extra super special "red tip"), 1960 Philips E88CC "PTT", 1958 Philips E88CC D-getter.

IMG_0470.jpg

1957 (Ulm) Telefunken PCC88, Siemens PCC88 angled D-getter, 2x "1957 Philips PCC88 "PW", 1958 Philips PCC88 D-getter.

I haven't rolled the 6DJ8/ECC88/PCC88/6N23P variety for ages and think I probably have collected over 200 pieces/pairs over the years so this should be really fun. Unfortunately I still need to run a substanial part of this collection through my tubetester so that will keep me busy as well.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #23,472 of 23,494
Hi everyone. Ive been staying away from headfi for the past 10ish years to stop spending on headphone gear but one of my original lyr stock tubes no longer works. Are there any recommendations on tubes around 100 usd? I'm located in Canada if that makes a difference.

Edit: more reading says people use an adapter now and a different tube? So a 5670 to ecc88 adapter then 5670 tubes?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #23,473 of 23,494
I have started testing and rolling the 6DJ8/ECC88/PCC88/6N23P tubes in my HAD Maestral II headphone amp. One of the first tubes I tried was the1956 Philips E88CC pinched waist and although this tube tested close to NOS, it is slightly microphonic on the right channel (or maybe its HF interference from the wifi router?). Unfortunately I have a very low tolerance for microphonics. Any help with potential remedies is very welcome.

Currently rolling a good testing 1957 Valvo Hamburg PW PCC88 with DJ0/D7K code. Dead quiet tube and sounding very open, linear and detailed without fatigue. For some this tube might lack the wetness/fullness of for instance a Mullard or Philips Heerlen, but for classisal music it is close to perfect.

IMG_0476.jpg

Do you guys maybe have any experience with rolling gold frame grid tubes? I have at least 2 Telefunken PCC88's with gold frame grids:

IMG_0477.jpg

I also have a NOS pair of Tesla E88CC's grey shield, white label, 32 factory code and yellow swords in the collection. Are these Tesla's gold frame grids? The grid posts aren't gold but according to Jacmusic this does not necessarily mean the frame grid isn't gold.

IMG_0482.jpg

I further own a NOS pair of RFT E88CC with gold frame grid posts of which I'm pretty sure they are Tesla production (identical construction to the Tesla E88CC's). Strange thing is that one of these E88CC's has a silver shield and the other a grey shield:

IMG_0481.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #23,474 of 23,494
Wow,
Look at this thread go. Brings joy to my heart.
It seems that nowadays I'm just buying amps to fit my ever growing tube collection. Or buy amps for tubes that I want to collect....

Last week I bought a HAD Maestral II headphone amp. Really nice OTL amp with double 6AS7G/6080/5998 and 6DJ8/ECC88 driver.

With a first dive in the collection I came up with the following tubes to try out:

Siemens CCA, Telefunken E88CC, 1956 Philips E88CC "PW (with extra super special "red tip"), 1960 Philips E88CC "PTT", 1958 Philips E88CC D-getter.

1957 (Ulm) Telefunken PCC88, Siemens PCC88 angled D-getter, 2x "1957 Philips PCC88 "PW", 1958 Philips PCC88 D-getter.

I haven't rolled the 6DJ8/ECC88/PCC88/6N23P variety for ages and think I probably have collected over 200 pieces/pairs over the years so this should be really fun. Unfortunately I still need to run a substanial part of this collection through my tubetester so that will keep me busy as well.
Damn bro, you’re a maniac and I mean this is the most complimentary way. I remember doing this a few years ago in this group just buying everything in site. It was a sickness. But the way I look at it, it’s all mine. I spent foolish money, but?..yeah. I doubt I’ll ever buy another tube unless something crazy cheap falls into my lap. I’m sitting on about 150 sets give or take and that’s enough for all our lifetimes. And when I think a lot of you guys have double, triple and more than I have.

Serious question, am I just not in the know but is TK alright? I don’t think anyone hangs out with him (lol) but someone may know. He was one of the “big boy” collectors here. Just hoping he’s ok because most familiar faces are back.

I’m gonna stay in this thread but after all these years, I’m about as knowledge about tubes than years ago. Lol. I’m a little more dangerous than before, but I can only talk like a layman. I just buy them, roll them, listen, compare, cry if they’re great (not really, it’s the song that does it, lol) and place in my “special “ tube box with the rest of my best sounding tubes. That’s me and my contribution to the thread. Haha, sad I know but it’s all about the sound for me versus how the construction of the tube is made. I’m an idiot when it comes to this. But an expert talking I like I know crap. I just know what sounds good and what doesn’t. Lol. Good to be back gentleman!!’
Greg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #23,475 of 23,494
Hi everyone. Ive been staying away from headfi for the past 10ish years to stop spending on headphone gear but one of my original lyr stock tubes no longer works. Are there any recommendations on tubes around 100 usd? I'm located in Canada if that makes a difference.

Edit: more reading says people use an adapter now and a different tube? So a 5670 to ecc88 adapter then 5670 tubes?
I would go for a used but good testing pair of Amperex/Philips Heerlen ECC88's or maybe even E88CC's, should be possible within your budget. Another option would be a NOS pair of Philips Heerlen or Valvo Hamburg PCC88's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back