Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 17, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #22,951 of 23,494
I have the A2C's and the Lyr 3. Currently fed by a Bifrost 2, but prior to that a Modi Multibit. The Lyr 3 is an extremely nice pairing with the Aeons (had the original Aeon Closed prior to the 2's). Seems to be adequate power with 9+ watts into the 13 ohm impedance of the A2C's. :)

I can't say which tubes you'll like best, but my favorites are the Frankentube and the 50's vintage Foton 6N8S. The Frankie (7N7) is a bit mellower than the Foton, but the Foton delivers a boogie factor that is a blast with rock and metal. Lots of other choices too...

Thanks! When it comes to actually buying these things, do you have a site or store that you trust? Or am I just eBaying and hoping for the best?

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #22,953 of 23,494
... and the Lyr 3 has reportedly burned up a few pair of expensive headphones.

True, but more folks have died world-wide from Shark attacks in the last year than HPs going to meet their maker due to the fault of a Lyr 3. At least as reported in the Lyr 3 threads at HF. (HPs going POW, that is. So far zero shark attacks reported on HF.) :wink:

Excited to say that I just ordered a Lyr 3 and can’t wait to get into it. This will be my first tube amp. I got it because I came away from Can Jam NYC with a new pair of the Aeon 2 Closed and it’s a litttttle harsh with regards to detail and digital etch coming through the bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2. Hoping the Lyr 3 injects some smoothness there. Anyone here using a bifrost Multibit and Dan Clark / MrSpeakers stuff? Any tube reccs for that setup? Thanks!

I have a pair of AFC v1 and use them with Lyr 3 to my considerable enjoyment. Rumor on the street is the v2 are even better!!! :D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #22,954 of 23,494
Thanks! When it comes to actually buying these things, do you have a site or store that you trust? Or am I just eBaying and hoping for the best?

I buy every now and then from dealers through their own website, but most on Ebay. I have a tube tester though, and have received some rotten tubes from Ebay purchases. If you're just starting out and without access to a tester, my recommendation would be to find a good dealer with a good web presence (and there are some good ones that sell regularly on Ebay like Viva Tubes). You'll pay more -- sometimes a little, sometimes a lot -- but if it's a good dealer they will test the tubes and assure they don't have shorts, leakage, or low GM (output). Only Ebay 'dealer' I personally stay far, far away from is BangyBang Tubes and his alternate site, Menifee Audio.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #22,955 of 23,494
True, but more folks have died world-wide from Shark attacks in the last year than HPs going to meet their maker due to the fault of a Lyr 3. At least as reported in the Lyr 3 threads at HF. (HPs going POW, that is. So far zero shark attacks reported on HF.) :wink:

I have a pair of AFC v1 and use them with Lyr 3 to my considerable enjoyment. Rumor on the street is the v2 are even better!!! :D

I had no friggin' idea those things were that dangerous, let alone deadly. Like @TK16 I learn something new every day. :)

Shark.jpg

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #22,956 of 23,494
ROFL!!! :beyersmile:

Dammit. I've broken one of the cardinal rules as it relates to @bcowen... :slight_frown:

1. Do not encourage Bill
2. See #1.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #22,957 of 23,494

Those statistics (if they are even true) don''t matter much if it happens to you :wink: And there are other places beside headfi where people lost their dearly beloved.

Don't try to trivialize the loss of a headphone by saying death is more serious! :D

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #22,958 of 23,494
2 reported dead from shark attacks in 2019. IIRC, 0 reported HP losses via Lyr 3 in 2019 (at least on the only HP community that matters). :wink:

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #22,959 of 23,494
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #22,960 of 23,494
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #22,961 of 23,494
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #22,962 of 23,494

After 5 minutes of looking (the 3rd link is yours...)

Mine was over a year ago -- December 2018 and I did not lose a HP as a result. So 2 by your count.

I stand corrected -- Lyr 3 HP deaths = 2. Deaths by shark attack = 2. We have a tie! :D

** More folks have died by lightning strike in the last year than losing their HP to a Lyr 3. (Avg. of 25 per year.) :p

What I am trying to communicate here is that it is not really something folks really need to spend a great deal of time worrying about. Especially if they are purchasing their Lyr 3 new.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #22,963 of 23,494
Mine was over a year ago -- December 2018 and I did not lose a HP as a result. So 2 by your count.

I stand corrected -- Lyr 3 HP deaths = 2. Deaths by shark attack = 2. We have a tie! :D

** More folks have died by lightning strike in the last year than losing their HP to a Lyr 3. (Avg. of 25 per year.) :p

What I am trying to communicate here is that it is not really something folks really need to spend a great deal of time worrying about. Especially if they purchased their Lyr 3 new.

Stop trying to minimize the death of headphones! I am shocked at the insensitivity! :D

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #22,964 of 23,494
I had a dirty tube "pop" in the right channel of my Lyr2 and blew up a pair of Focals. My offering to the headphone gods. KEEP YOUR TUBE PINS CLEAN!!! :ksc75smile:

Oh no.. that sounds really upsetting!

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #22,965 of 23,494
Stop trying to minimize the death of headphones! I am shocked at the insensitivity! :D

We are all diminished by the untimely death of any headphone -- whether it be a cheap or expensive one.

<insert moment of silence here> :pray:

Happy Now?? :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back