Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 16, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #22,936 of 23,494
Here's some Brimar(Rochrster plant) cv2492. Same plant as Wes S had listed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124029430605
But of course there's always adapters out there for better tubes. I believe most of us that are regulars or have been in the past on here are using adapters with 12a*7 variants.
You're invited for a beer also @Wes S

What about this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/E88CC-CV2492-BRIMAR-MULLARD-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-LC17/262158412197

I have bought from this seller before, seems like a good guy.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #22,937 of 23,494
Here's some Brimar(Rochrster plant) cv2492. Same plant as Wes S had listed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124029430605
But of course there's always adapters out there for better tubes. I believe most of us that are regulars or have been in the past on here are using adapters with 12a*7 variants.

Thanks, that seller does not ship here. I will probably get the ones Wes suggested but I want to understand if I should ask for a matched pair or if that is not necessary.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #22,938 of 23,494
Thanks, that seller does not ship here. I will probably get the ones Wes suggested but I want to understand if I should ask for a matched pair or if that is not necessary.
As far as I know the link I posted are a pair, but you might want to ask the seller for sure.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #22,939 of 23,494
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #22,940 of 23,494
That 72 Mullard Mitcham with the dimple getter are likely to be the worst tubes I ever listened

I agree. The dimpled getters are the ones TK16 sold me as top-tier and I can attest they are definitely top-tier -- on the suck-list!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

J/K -- If it was top-tier on any list, @TK16 would never sell them!! He is a hoarder of the highest order!!! :D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #22,941 of 23,494
I agree. The dimpled getters are the ones TK16 sold me as top-tier and I can attest they are definitely top-tier -- on the suck-list!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

J/K -- If it was top-tier on any list, @TK16 would never sell them!! He is a hoarder of the highest order!!! :D
In hindsight, I should of sold you dimple getter tubes and keep on top of my list the dimple getter. As soon as I got paid, I would of taken it off my list.
Having a bit of trouble with the emojis as I never used them before.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #22,942 of 23,494
Nice try, but it would not have mattered. It appears that In your giddiness at selling the crappy dimpled getters, you were so excited that you grabbed the wrong tubes and sent me the highly regarded Brimar KB AD ones.

Seems nice guys like me do finish first on occasion. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #22,943 of 23,494
Excited to say that I just ordered a Lyr 3 and can’t wait to get into it. This will be my first tube amp. I got it because I came away from Can Jam NYC with a new pair of the Aeon 2 Closed and it’s a litttttle harsh with regards to detail and digital etch coming through the bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2. Hoping the Lyr 3 injects some smoothness there. Anyone here using a bifrost Multibit and Dan Clark / MrSpeakers stuff? Any tube reccs for that setup? Thanks!

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #22,944 of 23,494
As far as I know the link I posted are a pair, but you might want to ask the seller for sure.

It's a pair in the sense he is selling two tubes. More than that I did not see in the listing... :wink:

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #22,945 of 23,494
Excited to say that I just ordered a Lyr 3 and can’t wait to get into it. This will be my first tube amp. I got it because I came away from Can Jam NYC with a new pair of the Aeon 2 Closed and it’s a litttttle harsh with regards to detail and digital etch coming through the bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2. Hoping the Lyr 3 injects some smoothness there. Anyone here using a bifrost Multibit and Dan Clark / MrSpeakers stuff? Any tube reccs for that setup? Thanks!

As with all piles of schiit, the order of operation is

1. turn volume all the way down
2. turn on amp
3. wait a minute
4. plug in headphones

when done:

1. turn down volume
2. remove headphones
3. turn off amp

The Lyrs and Valhallas have no relay and the Lyr 3 has reportedly burned up a few pair of expensive headphones.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #22,947 of 23,494
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #22,948 of 23,494

I have the A2C's and the Lyr 3. Currently fed by a Bifrost 2, but prior to that a Modi Multibit. The Lyr 3 is an extremely nice pairing with the Aeons (had the original Aeon Closed prior to the 2's). Seems to be adequate power with 9+ watts into the 13 ohm impedance of the A2C's. :)

I can't say which tubes you'll like best, but my favorites are the Frankentube and the 50's vintage Foton 6N8S. The Frankie (7N7) is a bit mellower than the Foton, but the Foton delivers a boogie factor that is a blast with rock and metal. Lots of other choices too...

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #22,949 of 23,494

2. turn on amp
3. wait a minute
4. plug in headphones

when done:

1. turn down volume
2. remove headphones
3. turn off amp

The Lyrs and Valhallas have no relay and the Lyr 3 has reportedly burned up a few pair of expensive headphones.

I've been using the Lyr 3 for almost exactly 2 years now and have never disconnected the headphones as part of the on/off routine. The Lyr 3 does in fact have a relay -- not sure about the original or Lyr 2. Yes, there have been a few reports of the Lyr 3 killing headphones, but such reports have been few and far between, and everything I've read indicates Schiit made the affected persons whole.

That said, it's always a good idea with ANY tube component to turn the volume all the way down before cycling the power. Becomes habit after a while...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #22,950 of 23,494

2. turn on amp
3. wait a minute
4. plug in headphones

when done:

1. turn down volume
2. remove headphones
3. turn off amp

When I first read this I said to myself “OH GOD what am I getting myself into.” But now it’s kind of exciting. I like living on the edge. Thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back