Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #22,531 of 23,493
$30.65 standard shipping is very reasonable.

Well, it's almost 9000 miles between Hanoi and Charlotte, so that's only a little over 3/10th's of a cent per mile. Bargain, really. :smile:

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #22,533 of 23,493
That carpeting makes me think bangybang went international.

If it hadn't been for the nice carpet, I would have only offered $679.99...max. :expressionless:

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #22,534 of 23,493
Yup. '50's Telefunkens. Pricey though.

I've always preferred a *good* 6DJ8 to a 6922. And even a 7308. But I'm weird. :grimacing:
Any chance I could see a pic, of the 50's Telefunken ecc88? I would love to see the internals, specifically the getter ring and post.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #22,535 of 23,493
Any chance I could see a pic, of the 50's Telefunken ecc88? I would love to see the internals, specifically the getter ring and post.

Sadly the last one I had went noisy and got chunked (have too dang many tubes to hold on to bad ones). I'm looking too. Pic below is identical to the ones I've had in the past that really turned me on though. The versions with the A-frame getter support and windmill getter don't sound as good to my ears (although they are still very good), and even though they have the diamond molded in the bottom, the internal construction looks more like a Philips / Amperex. I've seen the ones below labeled as both "Made in Germany" and "Made in Western Germany" but the internals have looked identical between them.

upload_2019-9-22_8-53-36.png
a while back -- the bane of 6DJ8's.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #22,536 of 23,493
Sadly the last one I had went noisy and got chunked (have too dang many tubes to hold on to bad ones). I'm looking too. Pic below is identical to the ones I've had in the past that really turned me on though. The versions with the A-frame getter support and windmill getter don't sound as good to my ears (although they are still very good), and even though they have the diamond molded in the bottom, the internal construction looks more like a Philips / Amperex. I've seen the ones below labeled as both "Made in Germany" and "Made in Western Germany" but the internals have looked identical between them.

The fat o getter is a strong indication that it is a Telefunken. Had 2 pair of 60's that I did not care for. Never heard the 50's though I can assume they are better sonically to the 60's.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #22,537 of 23,493

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #22,538 of 23,493
Depends on the tube type. Most input and driver tubes -- 9 pinners (like 6922's, 12A*7's, etc) and small octals (6SN7, etc) usually just start to sound dull and lifeless and lose dynamics as the cathode emission declines. Unless one of these type tubes develops a short (which would be very rare just from usage or emission decline), it is unlikely any damage would occur to the component they're plugged into.

Thank you for your respond. The tubes what I have problem with them are 6N23P Reflector SWGP Silver shields. In august my MJ2 fail, make loud pop sound during powering on. I send amplifier to schiit audio and they responded: "The 200v rail (tube rail) was blown. There was no sign of why it blew. Usually it's a tube problem when this rail goes, either a wrong pinout or a failed tube." This are my favorite tubes and they was installed in my amp for last 3 months.

After returned from repair an just over a week of use amplifier fail again with the same problem, with the same tubes installed. just with little different symptoms. On the first respond they still suspicious the tubes, with possibility on additional problem.

After this incidents I was used this tubes couple of times on another amplifier( Monolight liquid platinum) and they just played fine, nothing suspicious .For my the tubes playing normal. No lifeless or lose dynamics, no hissing or cracling sound, no channel imbalances. Just was noticed they do not light equal, but that was from beginning when I bought them.

It is still posibility they are short? It is still safe to use them?

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #22,539 of 23,493
Thank you for your respond. The tubes what I have problem with them are 6N23P Reflector SWGP Silver shields. In august my MJ2 fail, make loud pop sound during powering on. I send amplifier to schiit audio and they responded: "The 200v rail (tube rail) was blown. There was no sign of why it blew. Usually it's a tube problem when this rail goes, either a wrong pinout or a failed tube." This are my favorite tubes and they was installed in my amp for last 3 months.

After returned from repair an just over a week of use amplifier fail again with the same problem, with the same tubes installed. just with little different symptoms. On the first respond they still suspicious the tubes, with possibility on additional problem.

After this incidents I was used this tubes couple of times on another amplifier( Monolight liquid platinum) and they just played fine, nothing suspicious .For my the tubes playing normal. No lifeless or lose dynamics, no hissing or cracling sound, no channel imbalances. Just was noticed they do not light equal, but that was from beginning when I bought them.

I wouldn't, the 6N23P line of tubes were by far the most problematic of all the tubes I ever tried. Eastern European sellers are notorious for misrepresenting bad tubes as new and tested when a good portion of the time being a lie. @bcowen may of had a better experience with 6N23P than I did.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #22,540 of 23,493
Just rolled in the Siemens 6dj8 from 59', and so far so good. They are dead silent, and dynamic and clear, with good warmth at the moment, with nothing bad in the sound sig jumping out. Let the burn in begin. . .

You know you have it bad, when you take vacation days, just for tube rolling and listening to headphones. This is going to be a fun week. :o2smile:

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Sep 24, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #22,541 of 23,493
Just rolled in the Siemens 6dj8 from 59', and so far so good. They are dead silent, and dynamic and clear, with good warmth at the moment, with nothing bad in the sound sig jumping out. Let the burn in begin. . .

You know you have it bad, when you take vacation days, just for tube rolling and listening to headphones. This is going to be a fun week. :o2smile:

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Try to score some siemens PCC/ECC/E88CC with Disc Getters (https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=96202 example), I have 2 pairs of PCC88 variant and they are my go to tube for work nowadays in the Lyr 2.

Sep 24, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #22,542 of 23,493
Try to score some siemens PCC/ECC/E88CC with Disc Getters (https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=96202 example), I have 2 pairs of PCC88 variant and they are my go to tube for work nowadays in the Lyr 2.
Nothing shows up, when I go to that link. By disc getter, are you referring to the dimpled disc getter or a frame, found in the latter production like in 70's. I have found those generally lack the magic of the earlier versions.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #22,543 of 23,493
Nothing shows up, when I go to that link. By disc getter, are you referring to the dimpled disc getter or a frame, found in the latter production like in 70's. I have found those generally lack the magic of the earlier versions.

Not the 70s A-Frames, but the 50s Disc Getter usually <=1958

image.php.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #22,544 of 23,493
Not the 70s A-Frames, but the 50s Disc Getter usually <=1958

Cool! Thanks for the pic. I will keep an eye out for those.

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #22,545 of 23,493

As @TK16 has stated, Russian tubes in general (beyond just the 6N23) can be problematic. I've had a pretty good number of them show high interelement leakage which can be a precursor to a dead short. If you've had the same tubes blow up the same amp twice, I would highly recommend you don't use them in that amp again. If they perform OK in another amp, it may be that other amp has a higher tolerance for leakage or other tube faults -- doesn't mean that the tubes are necessarily OK. I just bought a set of eight 6N23P's from a guy in the Ukraine. Advertised as "Unused / Tested." None of them are usable. Two have extremely high leakage, and the rest don't even meet minimum GM (or emission) readings. Basically all dead tubes. He has returned my money without issue fortunately, but if I had stuck one of those high leakage tubes in my Lyr it would probably be on the way to Schiit right now for repair. Personally, I don't ever stick any tube in any of my tube components without testing them first. Double that for Russian tubes. And please understand I'm not knocking Russian tubes -- some of them are among my most favorite to listen to. Only saying that there is a higher than normal reject rate with many of them. If you don't have a tube tester (and don't want to purchase one), my recommendation would be to buy from known-reputable dealers that thoroughly test the tubes before sending them. There are some good Ebay sellers out there, but the bad ones probably outnumber the good ones by a very wide margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back