Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 27, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #19,997 of 23,494
Not to get off topic, but have any of y'all had experience with Ursine Audio? I ordered a cable back when the wait time was 4-8 weeks -- that was November. Heard from him a month ago about him ordering in my custom paracord colour, we got that squared away. Said he would start work as soon as the paracord came. The thing hasn't shipped yet and I never heard from him again. Sent him an email last week but got no response. Feeling a little weird here but I want my cable!

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #20,000 of 23,494
I think he's a one-man shop. I ordered a balanced cable from him about a year ago -- it took a while to get it, but I was very happy with the end result

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #20,001 of 23,494
I've enjoyed the Lyr 2 the last few years, nice to see what others are using ...
-the stock tubes blow, not a news flash
-the NOS Matsushita/National 7DJ8s (60s/70s) are incredibly natural sounding from top to bottom, the decay is notable, the attack - not so much
So, I use the NOS Tesla's (70s, Czech Republic) the most, since they are more dynamic and punchy at the top and bottom ends.
They are the $40 each jobbies that Upscale Audio used to sell

Then I tried out the Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Orange Globe Logo O-Getter Holland 1960's
The Amperex was the most relaxed sound, certainly the "indica" of the 3 tubes Ive tried, specializing in trio-sized jazz ensembles.
That would make the Tesla the "sativa" of the group, and the Matsushita the "hybrid". :wink:

So, looking for some other tubes to try: ..... Any suggestions for other tubes for me to try in the Lyr 2?
Im Leaning toward a higher quality 6922 than the NOS Tesla, but open to ideas ....

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #20,002 of 23,494
I've enjoyed the Lyr 2 the last few years, nice to see what others are using ...
-the stock tubes blow, not a news flash
-the NOS Matsu****a/National 7DJ8s (60s/70s) are incredibly natural sounding from top to bottom, the decay is notable, the attack - not so much
So, I use the NOS Tesla's (70s, Czech Republic) the most, since they are more dynamic and punchy at the top and bottom ends.
They are the $40 each jobbies that Upscale Audio used to sell

Then I tried out the Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Orange Globe Logo O-Getter Holland 1960's
The Amperex was the most relaxed sound, certainly the "indica" of the 3 tubes Ive tried, specializing in trio-sized jazz ensembles.
That would make the Tesla the "sativa" of the group, and the Matsu****a the "hybrid". :wink:

So, looking for some other tubes to try: ..... Any suggestions for other tubes for me to try in the Lyr 2?
Im Leaning toward a higher quality 6922 than the NOS Tesla, but open to ideas ....

I recommend considering trying some 12at7 (ECC81) or 12au7 (ECC82) types (including several variants - they're all center tapped so they can run at either 12 or 6 volts). They're not yet as price gauged as 6922 types, so you get a lot more for the money (even the top shelf ones can be 1-3 times cheaper than their 6922 equivalents), and aside from a few very select 6922, most 12at7/12au7 types blow the 6922 out of the water in the Lyr2/mj2 - punchier, bigger soundstage, greater depth on all axis, and more immersive overall.

One further note is that the older the better generally - most of us here have found that most of early to late 50s are the best in the mj2, Lyr, or LP.

They do require adapters, which are around $15 to $20 a pair, but you won't be disappointed with the effort and results.

Only thing to be careful of is that some variants aren't compatible with the Lyr 2/mj2 because of the amp's heater current limitations - 415ma - some of the 12au7/12at7 variants are above that I posted a table a while ago, but if you let us know your budget, we can recommend ones to try, and where best to get them, although quite a few people here have some for sale too.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #20,003 of 23,494
I recommend considering trying some 12at7 (ECC81) or 12au7 (ECC82) types (including several variants - they're all center tapped so they can run at either 12 or 6 volts). They're not yet as price gauged as 6922 types, so you get a lot more for the money (even the top shelf ones can be 1-3 times cheaper than their 6922 equivalents), and aside from a few very select 6922, most 12at7/12au7 types blow the 6922 out of the water in the Lyr2/mj2 - punchier, bigger soundstage, greater depth on all axis, and more immersive overall.
One further note is that the older the better generally - most of us here have found that most of early to late 50s are the best in the mj2, Lyr, or LP.
They do require adapters, which are around $15 to $20 a pair, but you won't be disappointed with the effort and results.
Only thing to be careful of is that some variants aren't compatible with the Lyr 2/mj2 because of the amp's heater current limitations - 415ma - some of the 12au7/12at7 variants are above that I posted a table a while ago, but if you let us know your budget, we can recommend ones to try, and where best to get them, although quite a few people here have some for sale too.

Thank you. I didnt know I could add an adaptor for ECC81/82's, will consider. I've always been a bit weary
of using adaptors for QC reasons- adding another device in the chain. I do actually have two pair of NOS 12AU7s that I'm not using
right now (originally bought for a PrimaLuna KT88 integrated tube amp): Mullard CV4003/M8136s and Brimars as well.

But I'm interested in what you said about other cheaper options: "1-3 times cheaper than their 6922 equivalents".
B/c the Mullards and Brimars were expensive. If I can get that same Mullard/Brimar sound at 1/3 the price of the $120 Mullards,
then it sounds good to me.

I've bought tubes in the past mostly from Upscale Audio and TubeDepot, but now have been buying from Brent Jesse's AudioTubes the last year.

Where do you suggest getting the adaptors you quoted? Good quality?
Also, I might be interested in your tubes for sale, but would need to know more about the SQ of each.
Gary

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #20,005 of 23,494
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #20,007 of 23,494
Sorry, I didn't read all 1334 pages to see if this great issue of VTV has been dug up with the Way Back Machine. Great read, as are all volumes of VTV available on the WBM.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013112.../Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV07.pdf

BTW... This is what I run in my lil Vali 2. I have zero complaints but finding a matched set is getting harder. I love Mullard - have for many, many years. I use Brent Jessee Recording and Supply, Inc. (Hoffman Estates, IL) for most my audiophile tubes. He does extensive testing and matching on all his tubes and I am assured that my premium price is backed up by his work put in to test them - can't always say that with Ebay and even some other big tube sellers.

E88CC / 6922 (premium 6DJ8) Mullard old shield logo or white label, made in Great Britain, gold pins.

New Old Stock White Box and original box. Rare UK made old shield logo 6922 tubes from the 1960s. These are the most difficult to find in the 6922 NOS family. Ultra low noise, matched triode sections, heavily plated gold pins. Nice Mullard British made 6922 goldpin vintage tubes, difficult to find in the USA. Hand matched into pairs. Very musical and quiet tubes. Some are made for Philips with the SQ label, or other brands but all have the Mullard factory date codes. SINGLES are $115 each when available.

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #20,008 of 23,494
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #20,009 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back