Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #17,223 of 23,494
Is that your new amp bro, looks sexy. That amp takes the same tubes as the MJ2?

It's a really great amp for the price and it takes 6922s. Tubes don't make have as much as an impact to sound as the MJ2 but it pairs extremely well with the HD650s.

I was looking for a hold over until the amp I requested comes in. For $250 I'm happy right now.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #17,224 of 23,494
It's a really great amp for the price and it takes 6922s. Tubes don't make have as much as an impact to sound as the MJ2 but it pairs extremely well with the HD650s.

I was looking for a hold over until the amp I requested comes in. For $250 I'm happy right now.
Tried them Foton`s yet, got an untested 62 pair in right now, may be the best pair I got. They pair well with the WE 396A`s in my dac.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #17,225 of 23,494
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #17,226 of 23,494
Ok So I have a question for you guys. I got my Lyr 3 in today and have been letting it and a tube burn in for a bit while I was at class. When I got home and gave it a listen, I was shocked at how schiity it sounded. It sounded like something was causing interference to the signal, making it come across as garbled and almost staticy. I thought it might be the tube, so I switched to a different 6sn7 and the problem persisted. I thought "Well this is just great!" new amp and it's already busted. I decided to investigate further and see if it might be my gumby causing the issue, so I flipped on the massdrop lcx and nope no problem there. So I switched my jack back to the Lyr 3 while the LCX was still on and low and behold the garbled sound was gone. So this made my try turning the LCX off while the Lyr 3 was still playing music, as soon as I shut it off, bam! garbled sound again. Anyone know what would be causing this? It's not like I'm using either as a premamp, they are plugged into separate rca's on the back of the gumby. I went a head and disconnected the LCX rca's and everything seems to be ok now. I'm just confused on why it would be doing that in the first place.

I think it means that the the LCX shorts its inputs when switched off. Because the RCA's on the gumby are wired in parallel, this means that the short circuit through the LCX when it's off sucks up all the current which the output buffers of the Gumby can supply, so you get distortion.

The only solutions are:
1) unplug the LCX when it's switched off
2) insert some kind of physical switch (like a Sys) to allow you to disconnect it without unplugging it
3) insert a preamp between the Gumby and LCX that doesn't short its inputs when switched off

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #17,227 of 23,494
I think it means that the the LCX shorts its inputs when switched off. Because the RCA's on the gumby are wired in parallel, this means that the short circuit through the LCX when it's off sucks up all the current which the output buffers of the Gumby can supply, so you get distortion.

The only solutions are:
1) unplug the LCX when it's switched off
2) insert some kind of physical switch (like a Sys) to allow you to disconnect it without unplugging it
3) insert a preamp between the Gumby and LCX that doesn't short its inputs when switched off

I think you are completely right about this, at least it makes the most sense to me. Thanks for the explanation!

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #17,228 of 23,494
Hey...back from a little vacation in sunny Florida with my lovely bride. I'll have to catch up. First listen to my semi-burned in Foton torpedoes was nice...very nice!!!
Speaking of nice, my son turned me onto this young band from Detroit...which Robert Plant says is the one new band he really likes. I think you'll see why if you're not familiar with them.
Greta Van Fleet...

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #17,230 of 23,494
Tried them Foton`s yet, got an untested 62 pair in right now, may be the best pair I got. They pair well with the WE 396A`s in my dac.

I got a chance to try them out on the MJ2 before sending it off to Koover. Not burned in but off the the bat they sounded fine and i'm sure better with more burn in. I unfortunately won't be putting them in the MTCH since it's made with the 6922s in mind and 2c51s/6n3ps may cause issues to it.

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #17,231 of 23,494
I got a chance to try them out on the MJ2 before sending it off to Koover. Not burned in but off the the bat they sounded fine and i'm sure better with more burn in. I unfortunately won't be putting them in the MTCH since it's made with the 6922s in mind and 2c51s/6n3ps may cause issues to it.
What year Fotons are they? I might want to take them off your hands if you can’t use them if they’re the 50’s or early 60’s. I already have a 65 and it seems the earlier ones sound better.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #17,232 of 23,494
MJ2 is made for 6922 tubes as well, unless I'm missing something about your amp?

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #17,233 of 23,494
MJ2 is made for 6922 tubes as well, unless I'm missing something about your amp?

I asked the creator of the amp (Dr.Cavalli) and he basically he said that the amp was made with tight specifications for the 6922 or equivalent tube. The 2c51s with an adapter do work on this amp but he mentioned that it could cause damage to the amp. Since the MTCH is the only amp I have right now I don't want run the risk of it failing. So I have a bunch of Russian's I can't use in the amp.

What year Fotons are they? I might want to take them off your hands if you can’t use them if they’re the 50’s or early 60’s. I already have a 65 and it seems the earlier ones sound better.

They're '64s from what it looks like. Let me know if you want them since they'll sit here collecting dust.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #17,234 of 23,494
Hey...back from a little vacation in sunny Florida with my lovely bride. I'll have to catch up. First listen to my semi-burned in Foton torpedoes was nice...very nice!!!
Speaking of nice, my son turned me onto this young band from Detroit...which Robert Plant says is the one new band he really likes. I think you'll see why if you're not familiar with them.
Greta Van Fleet...

They look about 12 years old. Hope the gig earned them enough to buy some shoes for the bassist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back