Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #17,090 of 23,494
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #17,091 of 23,494
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #17,092 of 23,494
Ladies, ladies, you do know the Russkies still stick tubes in some of their aircraft, right? I think a little Ukraine PS/USPS rough ride is like basic training in tube boot camp.

That said, I was a little surprised to pick up a pair from Serbia in a very basic padded envelope. Tubes were inserted in paper towel roll type cardboard, wrapped in dense foam, wrapped in bubble wrap, with a packing tape icing. The very smudgeable print was perfect and they taste sound mighty fine.

I highly recommend tube boot camp for any troublesome tubes you have. Whip 'em into shape in no time.

re: the 60s Fotons, all eight of mine are May 1966. That dude must have a shed full.

Tony, what's your take on the Fotons? Think you might have talked about them...but I'm too old to remember. Mine are coming along nicely but still only about 40 hours burn. The thing that's striking me best is the 'everydayit'sbetter' instrument separation...some of the coolest imaging
I've ever heard. And the bass is tightening up and creating a beautiful pulsating floor for the music, like TK told me they would. Big downside so far though is that on my rig the Foton's are cymbal killers. No real nuance...just kind of an electric sizzle.
I hope that comes around. i do enjoy vocals on them. The smoothness of them certainly has some WE characteristics, at least to me. So far. Still need to cook from what I hear. But they've already come a long way...pretty funky outta the box.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #17,093 of 23,494
Tony, what's your take on the Fotons? Think you might have talked about them...but I'm too old to remember. Mine are coming along nicely but still only about 40 hours burn. The thing that's striking me best is the 'everydayit'sbetter' instrument separation...some of the coolest imaging
I've ever heard. And the bass is tightening up and creating a beautiful pulsating floor for the music, like TK told me they would. Big downside so far though is that on my rig the Foton's are cymbal killers. No real nuance...just kind of an electric sizzle.
I hope that comes around. i do enjoy vocals on them. The smoothness of them certainly has some WE characteristics, at least to me. So far. Still need to cook from what I hear. But they've already come a long way...pretty funky outta the box.
From the pairs I've burned in, the mids and highs clear up after 100+ hours, and lose any congestion.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #17,095 of 23,494
Lyr 3 on the way, and a RCA 6ns7 Grey Glass too. . .:dt880smile: Further down the rabbit hole I go. . .Ken-Rad vt231 black glass, is next. I also bought some 396a to 6sn7 adapters for my WE, and Tung Sol 2c51's. I will report back, how it all goes, once I get some time with it all.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #17,096 of 23,494
Really liked 'em; so much I bought another four from the same seller. Since I redid my Fidelizer config after installing 8.1 (now Audiophile / Audio Render), I need to listen to them again, plus burn-in the others. I've only listened to one pair so far. My recollection mirrors yours in terms of imaging and separation. Can't recall cymbals specifically, but you know what we say about Russians and burn-in: a decade of collusion might get you there.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #17,098 of 23,494
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #17,099 of 23,494
Whew.

Just finished reading all 1140 pages to f this beast, and read the section from last summer when the 396A/2C51 frenzy began twice. What an education!

It occurs to me that since I have some untested tubes on the way to me now I should find my multimeter to check for shorts. Only problem is I don't think I've seen it since I moved eight years ago. Oh well at least they're cheap if I need to get a new one.

You may thank me for the new Lyr 3. It was a certainty they'd announce it just days after my Lyr 2's 15-day return window expired. Eh, I'm very happy with the 2 and am not all that bothered about the 3 (unless of course this thread just goes all 6SN7 or whatever it is and I'm left in 2C51-land....which isn't that bad a place to be.)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #17,100 of 23,494
Whew.

Just finished reading all 1140 pages to f this beast, and read the section from last summer when the 396A/2C51 frenzy began twice. What an education!

It occurs to me that since I have some untested tubes on the way to me now I should find my multimeter to check for shorts. Only problem is I don't think I've seen it since I moved eight years ago. Oh well at least they're cheap if I need to get a new one.

You may thank me for the new Lyr 3. It was a certainty they'd announce it just days after my Lyr 2's 15-day return window expired. Eh, I'm very happy with the 2 and am not all that bothered about the 3 (unless of course this thread just goes all 6SN7 or whatever it is and I'm left in 2C51-land....which isn't that bad a place to be.
I read the whole thread before my first post here, though it was considerably less than 1140 pages. Treasure trove of information here. Though I miss @Guidostrunk. Hope he is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back