Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #17,071 of 23,494

Says "true matched pair" but also states "NEW OLD STOCK - UNTESTED". Assuming the seller is referring to the date stamp match.

You can also get the WE 396A from this dealer:
https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/396a-2c51-we.html

At $65 each, but that is still reasonable considering $65 is what we were paying two years ago for NOS.
This is the same dealer that some folks here have used to purchase the TS 2C51 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Pair-TungSol-2C51-Black-Plate-Twin-Triode-Vacuum-Tubes/151621028745?
The TS 2C51 is also sold on the dealer's website, $18.50 each.
https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/396a-2c51-tungsol.html

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #17,072 of 23,494
I saw those from artifexs but the "untested" scared me off. Paid more for test results. Probably I'm a nervous Nellie but so it goes.

This is the one I went for:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Western-Electric-396A-2C51-tubes-D-getter-test-NOS-/263544930292

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #17,073 of 23,494
I know I must be annoying you longtime tube rollers with my posts as I discover tubes that are new to me/old hat to you and only half cooked but here I am again. Midway through burning the Mexican military Tung Sol 2C51s I thought I'd see how they are doing. With the HD6XX I was kind of disappointed. Meh. About the same as my Bugle Boys, not really impressed. Too much hype, I thought. But as I was coincidentally reading through this thread I saw someone (billerb?) comment that the HD6XX wasn't a great pairing with them. So after a brief mishap with the Sennheisers I plugged in my Elears.

Sweet Baby Jesus. I get it now. Holy frijoles. I see the Vortex.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #17,074 of 23,494
Well after going back and forth all day, I decided to put my order in for the Lyr 3! I'm pretty excited to give it a shot, except now I have to get even more adapters haha.

I know I must be annoying you longtime tube rollers with my posts as I discover tubes that are new to me/old hat to you and only half cooked but here I am again. Midway through burning the Mexican military Tung Sol 2C51s I thought I'd see how they are doing. With the HD6XX I was kind of disappointed. Meh. About the same as my Bugle Boys, not really impressed. Too much hype, I thought. But as I was coincidentally reading through this thread I saw someone (billerb?) comment that the HD6XX wasn't a great pairing with them. So after a brief mishap with the Sennheisers I plugged in my Elears.

I remember having the same thoughts when using the hD6xx. Once I plugged in my LCD2c I understood what everyone was talking about, they're killer tubes!

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #17,075 of 23,494
Curious to see if they drop an mj3 with 6sn7 support. I've been really tempted by the Freya lately to run my powered speakers after hearing one at the Schiit store.

In other news, I just received a batch of 8 Voskhod Rockets 6n23-p 1975/1976. Need to match them up, but will be selling them for $20-$30 a pair depending on strength/match. I'll reserve a pair for Winders, as I'm guessing he'll be wanting a pair :), but otherwise they're available if anyone wants a pair for less than the ridiculous fleabay prices.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #17,076 of 23,494

Not annoying at all mate, keep sharing your experiences. I've learnt an endless amount from this thread, and continue to do so thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #17,077 of 23,494
My Foton`s pairs came in, I matched up a 62 set, the other 2 tubes are 62/64. The 62 tube in my 2nd set has a milky ring, complete circle around the pins. Think I better toss it? Never saw anything like that before. Crack developing?

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #17,078 of 23,494
My Foton`s pairs came in, I matched up a 62 set, the other 2 tubes are 62/64. The 62 tube in my 2nd set has a milky ring, complete circle around the pins. Think I better toss it? Never saw anything like that before. Crack developing?
Has any of the metal inside gone white?

Prob a good idea to test it for leaks/gas. I can test it if you want to send it over. If it’s shot, I can send you a replacement from the batch I have coming in a few weeks.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #17,079 of 23,494

I wonder if those pins could be cleaned. I've seen other Head-Fiers with Octal tubes clean them with a dremel and a really fine grit. Not sure if it's worth the effort considering the price of the tube.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #17,080 of 23,494
I wonder if those pins could be cleaned. I've seen other Head-Fiers with Octal tubes clean them with a dremel and a really fine grit. Not sure if it's worth the effort considering the price of the tube.
I use a dremel wire brush on mine, unless they’re plated, but I think he means on the glass, which indicates air is getting in.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #17,081 of 23,494
I use a dremel wire brush on mine, unless they’re plated, but I think he means on the glass, which indicates air is getting in.

If it’s at the bottom of the glass where the pins protude out then I’m in agreement with you. That can fry an amp. :/

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #17,082 of 23,494
Going to toss it, think I can see where it is cracked, not worth the hassle returning a $5 to Romania. I'll keep the 64 as a backup to my other 3 pairs of Foton's. @AuditoryCanvas, thanks for the kind offer bro!

Tube was def cracked tiny tap on a table it crumpled! Better than in my amp!!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #17,085 of 23,494
Same for me with the HD650. Now i ordered diffrent 6C8G's and a adapter. curious about the outcome.
I have some 6C8Gs lined up for burn-in myself and the adapters but there unfortunately is a pair of Russian 6N3Ps ahead of them so it will be a couple weeks before I can get to them. But I couldn't resist the Frankenstein look to them and they are pretty cheap still so I went for it. Adapters cost nearly as much as the tubes themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back