Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #16,711 of 23,494
Super, thanks for the advice!

Here's another question. Am I being too fussy by trying not to touch the tubes themselves with my fingers due to natural skin oil? Does it matter? Certain light bulbs get hot enough where it does matter, but maybe tubes don't get that hot?

It's to touch the tubes once they are cooled down to remove them. You'll run into an issue if the tubes have the powder coated markings on them as they can be easily rubbed off. Just be careful.

I have a cardboard roll that was used to ship some Russian tubes that I use to remove the tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #16,712 of 23,494
It's to touch the tubes once they are cooled down to remove them. You'll run into an issue if the tubes have the powder coated markings on them as they can be easily rubbed off. Just be careful.

I have a cardboard roll that was used to ship some Russian tubes that I use to remove the tubes.
Cardboard tube rolls. Hmmm. Brilliant. Never thought of that.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #16,713 of 23,494
Super, thanks for the advice!

Here's another question. Am I being too fussy by trying not to touch the tubes themselves with my fingers due to natural skin oil? Does it matter? Certain light bulbs get hot enough where it does matter, but maybe tubes don't get that hot?

Finger oil won't hurt the tube, they're not like halogen bulbs where it can cause them to blow. Tubes are incredibly resilient. As @Phantaminum mentioned, it's best to avoid grabbing them on the print areas, as it can be quite fragile and will wipe off easily on a lot of tubes.

The adapter stickers are fine, they're foil normally, so withstand heat well. You might want to take them off for a cleaner look, but make sure to identify them with a paint dot underneath or something so if you end up with different adapters and savers, you can easily identify which are which.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #16,714 of 23,494
I snagged the Lorenz covered in eggs, but there was no way I was pulling those Teles out of that diaper.
Baby diaper or Depends? We are talkin' about OldSkool, right, so it's fair to ask... I mean there's schiit and then there's Schiit, and which plays best with your Schiit depends... *oof*

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #16,715 of 23,494
I found some more tubes that I never got around to using. What was the consensus on these?

20180224_094703.jpg

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #16,716 of 23,494
I found some more tubes that I never got around to using. What was the consensus on these?

Not sure how they'll sound in the Lyr, but they're awesome in the Vali2.

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #16,718 of 23,494
Finger oil won't hurt the tube, they're not like halogen bulbs where it can cause them to blow. Tubes are incredibly resilient. As @Phantaminum mentioned, it's best to avoid grabbing them on the print areas, as it can be quite fragile and will wipe off easily on a lot of tubes.

The adapter stickers are fine, they're foil normally, so withstand heat well. You might want to take them off for a cleaner look, but make sure to identify them with a paint dot underneath or something so if you end up with different adapters and savers, you can easily identify which are which.

Great, thanks! I didn’t think they got hot enough, but wasn’t sure.

The socket savers really lift the tubes out of the amp. I can see how tempting it is to roll tubes frequently now.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #16,720 of 23,494
1985 6n3p-E Reflektors. The E is the long life version. Well rated on this thread by many, with some preferring the E to other variants.

@gardibolt purchased the 2C51 and adapters and also included a set of these as well. I have 3 more sets if others are interested. Not sure what I paid for them but if you can use them with your amp and adapter any reasonable offer and they are yours!

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #16,724 of 23,494
Those 80's are quite cheap on eBay. Also quite good.

Got 4 pair of incoming Russians, I got in a trade.Talking about Ruskies.
2 sets of Foton 6N3P, 59 set and 65/66 set. Pair of Reflektor 6N3P 59/60 set and a pair of 1975 Oktyabr gold grid 6N3P.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #16,725 of 23,494
This is depressing as I never got a chance to listen. :frowning2:
How much are they worth if I offer them to some of the new comers looking for a nice tube to start rolling..... $20 a set? I

They sometimes sell for $20 for a matched pair, otherwise you can them for about $2 each. Ridiculous price.
The '80s are the equal of the '70s with these tubes, I actually use more pairs from the '80s than the '70s.
Only difference I found was that the '80s tend to have tighter triode matching overall, and tighter range tube to tube, so easier matching.
That could also be something like cathode oxide aging, who knows, or could be component tolerance improvements.
(Only talking about these RFL 6N3P-E, not all 6N3P.)
If you currently have an amp designed for 6SN7 you can try them. Didn't you get a Woo?
Tubes do sound different in different amps, but I do use them occasionally in another 6SN7 I have, they're fine, it's a tough tube.
And they do sound good, no, not as good as the best octal drivers I have, but better than some other octals actually.
(You would need a 2C51/6N3P to 6SN7 adapter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back