Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 24, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #16,726 of 23,493
They sometimes sell for $20 for a matched pair, otherwise you can them for about $2 each. Ridiculous price.
The '80s are the equal of the '70s with these tubes, I actually use more pairs from the '80s than the '70s.
Only difference I found was that the '80s tend to have tighter triode matching overall, and tighter range tube to tube, so easier matching.
That could also be something like cathode oxide aging, who knows, or could be component tolerance improvements.
(Only talking about these RFL 6N3P-E, not all 6N3P.)
If you currently have an amp designed for 6SN7 you can try them. Didn't you get a Woo?
Tubes do sound different in different amps, but I do use them occasionally in another 6SN7 I have, they're fine, it's a tough tube.
And they do sound good, no, not as good as the best octal drivers I have, but better than some other octals actually.
(You would need a 2C51/6N3P to 6SN7 adapter.)

Can you send me a link to the adapter needed please? Yes, I got a Woo in place of my MJ2 and although better in some areas I still miss my MJ2. You mean to tell me that all these tubes i thought wouldn't fit DO fit, but with the appropriate adopters, of course? Man, I just sold all my tubes for next to nothing and now it's a possibility that I could have used them!?!?!?! Ugh!!!! I have to laugh.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #16,728 of 23,493
Can you send me a link to the adapter needed please? Yes, I got a Woo in place of my MJ2 and although better in some areas I still miss my MJ2. You mean to tell me that all these tubes i thought wouldn't fit DO fit, but with the appropriate adopters, of course? Man, I just sold all my tubes for next to nothing and now it's a possibility that I could have used them!?!?!?! Ugh!!!! I have to laugh.

The one I have came from a different seller but here's a similar one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gol...65-CV181-tube-converter-adapter/192099073532?
RNR.6N3PE.012118.V1_FOTD652.JPG

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #16,729 of 23,493
Feb 24, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #16,732 of 23,493
I would keep a pair or 2 of those Russians, also recommend the pair of Tung Sol 2C51 that you just sold. :ksc75smile: I can look for a deal on the WE 396A tubes if you want. Bill seems to be procrastinating on that front. These are warm tubes. The LM Ericsson 2C51 is more of a neutral tube with great detail, soundstage etc.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #16,733 of 23,493
I would keep a pair or 2 of those Russians, also recommend the pair of Tung Sol 2C51 that you just sold. :ksc75smile: I can look for a deal on the WE 396A tubes if you want. Bill seems to be procrastinating on that front. These are warm tubes. The LM Ericsson 2C51 is more of a neutral tube with great detail, soundstage etc.

I'm always looking for a deal. I definitely want to try these raved about WE's but as you can see I'm in not shortage of tubes atm but always looking to add to my collection.

20180224_181546.jpg

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #16,734 of 23,493

You’re right TK...I am procrastinating... but I will get to the WE purchase. Having a little trouble putting aside enough cash to fund the Yggy update so the WE’s will have to wait. Lol, I HATE having to make responsible decisions. It’s so out of character.

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #16,735 of 23,493
You’re right TK...I am procrastinating... but I will get to the WE purchase. Having a little trouble putting aside enough cash to fund the Yggy update so the WE’s will have to wait. Lol, I HATE having to make responsible decisions. It’s so out of character.

Speaking of.... I canceled my Yggy purchase right before I left for Canjam thinking I would demo other DAC's and maybe change my mind. After listening to A LOT of DAC's I really couldn't make out the differences because of the setting and background noise, but still planned to buy the Yggy. I held out until this weekend and so grateful I did because I cried up on a super deal on a Yggy Gen5 without the A2 update. Should be here next week and I'm on the fence about doing the update as there really aren't too many reviews on A1 vs A2 and there sure aren't too many definitive answers as to what the changes are between the two other than blacker background and warmer sound with more detail. I'd like to see some more reviews before I jump ship on this. @billerb1 id ask you to post a review after you did the update but the queue is probably a years wait.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #16,736 of 23,493
At £4 a pop I thought these 'Mullard' 6BQ7A's would be worth a shot:
IMG_20180219_181407.jpg
(bought from UK source)
Don't bother.
Unless I'm being subjected to the world's longest burn-in phenomenon (or the ones I was sent are out of spec)?
Even the stock GE 6BZ7's are better.
Tried some 80's 6H23 Rocket logos. Much nicer but a little 'pingy'.
Sylvania JAN 6DJ8's were okay.
Just can't bring myself to try the Siemens CCa's.
(It's like having a mint, vintage Leica lens. You're scared to use it because you know you might never get another one as good.)

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #16,737 of 23,493
Feb 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #16,739 of 23,493
Speaking of.... I canceled my Yggy purchase right before I left for Canjam thinking I would demo other DAC's and maybe change my mind. After listening to A LOT of DAC's I really couldn't make out the differences because of the setting and background noise, but still planned to buy the Yggy. I held out until this weekend and so grateful I did because I cried up on a super deal on a Yggy Gen5 without the A2 update. Should be here next week and I'm on the fence about doing the update as there really aren't too many reviews on A1 vs A2 and there sure aren't too many definitive answers as to what the changes are between the two other than blacker background and warmer sound with more detail. I'd like to see some more reviews before I jump ship on this. @billerb1 id ask you to post a review after you did the update but the queue is probably a years wait.

I'd be happy to...but I'm not even in the queue yet. They only seem to be doing like one upgrade a day on average from what I've heard. So it'll be awhile.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #16,740 of 23,493
So I have to say I have mixed feelings about the 6Sn7gt in the Lyr. After a few hours of burn in the Ken Rad's and Sylvania's that I already had sound incredible with my HD6xx. These do adds good amount to the sound-stage, but not enough to make it sound artifical. It just lets the abmient notes and voice/instrument effects extend further out to the sides offering what feels like a longer note decay. Instruments a really easy to pick out in the mix, even during complex passages it's easy to keep track of placement. Bass hits with authority and has good definition. It doesn't extend super deep, but it's better than normal. The mids and treble sound great. While listening to Kaleo's "All the Pretty Girls" I could easily hear the sliding of fingers across the strings while changing chords and the pick sliding over the strings. I have to say since I didn't put any new money into buying these I'm really impressed.

However I have not liked them paired up with the LCD2c at all. I thought the extra soundstage and imaging would pair up with the Audeze, but it ended up sounding thin and kind of crummy. This is especially true after coming from the HD6xx where they sounded really good. The bass got a little one dimensional and didn't have the satisfying impact I'm used to when listening to them.

I think I might give the 6C8G Ken Rads a shot down the road, I just don't want to wait for the adapters to ship from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back