Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #15,857 of 23,494
Ok gang, picked up a pair of these 5670/6N3/2C51 adapters.

Having learned my lesson from my last dive into the rabbit hole, sort of anyway. I have a couple questions for those of you that have use these tubes before I dive back in.

What is your favorite tube for the money?

What is your HG of these types?

And finally do not waste your money these...etc.

I thought I might try a pair or two or three. And thought I might start here to see if anybody is looking to part with any spare sets.

Thanks

Yeah the Western Electrics 396a's (especially the military JW version) and Tung Sol 2c51's seem to be at the top of most lists here. The Ericcsons, Tesla Pinched Waist 6CC42's and CBS's have their fans. The hard-to-find Bendix 2c51's seem to be too bright for most here (me included) but I've read that many consider them their personal HG's. Not a ton of love here for the GE 5 stars but I've read many good reviews about them. Probably forgetting a few but these get the most press.

Edit: Here's the ebay link to those $35 Tung Sols TK mentioned in his post. A bunch of us bought these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Pair-T...050232&hash=item234d514b89:g:lMYAAOSwrklVBlJC

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #15,858 of 23,494
I just cannot bring myself to pull the Tele E188CC's outta my amp. I haven't fallen out of love with my TS 2c51's.
God knows they, and most 2c51's, bring more to the audio table than the Teles do in terms of grandeur, detail retrieval
and in-your-face access to the music. But what the Teles do have is magic...and a liquidity I've never heard in any other tube.
Nothing better in my rig as far as delivering an emotional connection to the music.

Sounds like Bill fell in love with his high maintenance but beautiful secretary and forgot about his safe but cute wife that gave him two kids. :wink:

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #15,859 of 23,494
Sounds like Bill fell in love with his high maintenance but beautiful secretary and forgot about his safe but cute wife that gave him two kids. :wink:

You got it backwards bro (although you got the 2 kids part right). I was more than happy with the Teles before the whore TS's came into my life. I blame Sammy (Guidostrunk). And speaking of that, where has Sammy gone? Hope he's ok.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #15,860 of 23,494
@MWSVette, you can also try the Reflektor 6N3P-E as well. They are a warm sounding tube with very good detail, not harsh sounding that I found the 6N23P to be, polar opposites. Dirt cheap as well. I found the non warm tubes like the GE 5670, Bendix 2C51 and to some extent the CBS 5670 (my favorite of the 3 I mentioned by far to be too bright especially the Bendix. If your looking at Western Electric 396A post what your looking at here. I overpaid for my first set ($145) because they were advertised as 1951 JW`s and knew nothing about the date codes at the time. Seems some people here bought out most of the 40`s-50`s stock here. I won`t name the people because I was 1 of them.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #15,861 of 23,494
I really like the ge 5670. They seem much like the reflektors should sound. The old 6n23ps I mean. Great soundstage and big bass. More neutral than the other 5670 variants. I use the tung sols more though. For its unique presentation and pretty mids. The dgetter rca are also very nice and natural . The WE have a beautiful liquidity to them.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #15,862 of 23,494
As usual, you gotta try stuff with your own rig. It can be a total Horses For Courses type of thing. Personally, I'll say avoid the Raytheon windmill getter 5670s. The two pairs I have are meh. OTOH, if your interested, send me a PM :D

I never could get a handle on the whole salesman thing.

Tesla 6CC42s are excellent with my gear, both pinched tops and straight 'O' getter; 'D' getters inbound, but I expect good thing. Of course, I'm just a Heretic of Dune :p Speaking of Muad'Dib (AKA, the Preacher) WTH is Sammy? Maybe he and his Feline Army are doing extensive therapy work with his beloved Penguins... heheheh :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #15,863 of 23,494
He has been been performing a very long exorcism on my pair of TS 2C51's. Cursed set from grampas51 I think. They are my favorite set of TS so I think it is worth it at least to me. He is now speaking in tongues, regurgitating pea soup (That he never ate) and can spin his head all the way around. I got 17 of his cats here and have my hands full myself.

Still 0 bids on this Siemens CCa grey shield quad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-CCa-Siemens-E-88CC-CCa-Tube-gepruft-Gut-/232622724003

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #15,865 of 23,494
As usual, you gotta try stuff with your own rig. It can be a total Horses For Courses type of thing. Personally, I'll say avoid the Raytheon windmill getter 5670s. The two pairs I have are meh. OTOH, if your interested, send me a PM :D

I never could get a handle on the whole salesman thing.

Tesla 6CC42s are excellent with my gear, both pinched tops and straight 'O' getter; 'D' getters inbound, but I expect good thing. Of course, I'm just a Heretic of Dune :p Speaking of Muad'Dib (AKA, the Preacher) WTH is Sammy? Maybe he and his Feline Army are doing extensive therapy work with his beloved Penguins... heheheh :wink:

I second the Raytheon windmill getters being lack lustre. The square getter pairs that I have sound much better, which is surprising, as it's the windmill ones that are supposed to be better.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #15,866 of 23,494
I really like the ge 5670. They seem much like the reflektors should sound. The old 6n23ps I mean. Great soundstage and big bass. More neutral than the other 5670 variants. I use the tung sols more though. For its unique presentation and pretty mids. The dgetter rca are also very nice and natural . The WE have a beautiful liquidity to them.

Not sure if you have the GE 5* Triple Mica's but they are nice. Little bit more sub bass, airy top, mids are almost there but they're a fun pair of tubes. You're spot on everything else.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #15,867 of 23,494
I second the Raytheon windmill getters being lack lustre. The square getter pairs that I have sound much better, which is surprising, as it's the windmill ones that are supposed to be better.
I bet you read that somewhere on Al Gore's Amazing Internet :wink:
You gotta try the Telsa 6CC42s. Join us blasphemers :smiling_imp:

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #15,868 of 23,494
I bet you read that somewhere on Al Gore's Amazing Internet :wink:
You gotta try the Telsa 6CC42s. Join us blasphemers :smiling_imp:

Well I'm in love with the nickel pin and gold pin Tesla E88CCs I have, and just ordered 2 pairs of 1967 ECC88 Tesla dome tops....the 6CC42s are next, waiting for a good pair of pinched waists to come up.

Aside from the ruskies, the Teslas are the ones that changed the most over 100 hour burn in. The soundstage and holographics just kept getting better until they'd finished burning in.

Edit, forgot, I also ordered some PCC88 Teslas. should arrive in a week or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back