Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #15,875 of 23,493
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #15,882 of 23,493
Speaking of rare tubes, if I was in the US, and was feeling adventurous I would totally give these a shot https://www.ebay.com/itm/282798943734 and let us know :D

They arrived today. Tested almost perfect match on gm and plate current.

Unfortunately, after 5 mins warm up, one of them gets so microphonic it creates a feedback howl, which just ends up a feedback loop, so it basically unusable :frowning2:

Thankfully the seller has been really cool about figuring something out.

I think it’s beyond rescuing with a damper, I’ve never heard a tube go so microphonic.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #15,883 of 23,493
They arrived today. Tested almost perfect match on gm and plate current.

Unfortunately, after 5 mins warm up, one of them gets so microphonic it creates a feedback howl, which just ends up a feedback loop, so it basically unusable :frowning2:

Thankfully the seller has been really cool about figuring something out.

I think it’s beyond rescuing with a damper, I’ve never heard a tube go so microphonic.

Try burning it in the amp 24hours on high gain see if that fixes, I'm fairly confident it might :)

Edit: Feel free to unplug the headphones during that time.

P.S. What tester are you using?

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #15,884 of 23,493
Try burning it in the amp 24hours on high gain see if that fixes, I'm fairly confident it might :)

Edit: Feel free to unplug the headphones during that time.

P.S. What tester are you using?

Hickok 539c, with a few panel meters added, one for plate current, the others for accurate line voltage and bias setting. Also have a Hickok 752.

I'll have to unplug the headphones, or they'll get shredded as the feedback loop escalates. Are you sure the loop isn't going to damage the amp? it continually gets louder unless I pull the power.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it through its paces on the tester for a while at 150v plate?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #15,885 of 23,493
Check Phantaminum for a pulse.

This is me right now:

morton-salt-girl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back