Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8,236 of 23,494
I heard from someone here that the plastic cling wrap works great to get a grip on the tubes. I tried and agree, no messy residue from tape...

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #8,237 of 23,494
Latex rubber gloves are a handy way to grip tubes firmly & work loose (don't even have to put them on if you don't want to, just use couple finger sections to get a firm grip).  Works like a charm.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,238 of 23,494
  Latex rubber gloves are a handy way to grip tubes firmly & work loose (don't even have to put them on if you don't want to, just use couple finger sections to get a firm grip).  Works like a charm.

I use a small strip of rug gripper padding.  I need to try plastic wrap.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #8,239 of 23,494
I've always used plastic wrap. Just used it to put in some e188cc valvos. Man these are sweet. White label Heerlens from mid 60s. Matched pretty nice, not perfect but they are from one off auctions. Took a bath on a red one though. Waiting to hear from seller before the name is offered up. The miniwatt is nos and bad ass. The white is a near perfect match to the white I got a month ago. Avg. $45 per tube. But living dangerously in my thrift. Another miniwatt e188cc Philips heerlen on the way.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #8,240 of 23,494
I've been goin after russians lately, just got 4 matched pairs Voskhod '76 Gray Shields Post UFO Getter, for about 5$ per tube from a Bulgarian  seller (I'm bulgarian so it was a fast transaction with local courier companies). Now when he said matched I didn't know exact numbers so I got the following emission matched pairs
1) 13/13 12.5/12.5
2) 12/12 12/11
3) 9.5/9.5 9.5/9.5
4) 9/9 9/9

So now I'm thinking What 13 mA is max at 100% 15mA  - man that's schiit! But all four pairs sound amazing, with perhaps some difference in the amount of volume I need to pump out to get the same sound. So I roll these one after the other in my really toasty lyr 2 (has been on for like 2 days now) and comparing them to the pair of HGs I got from rb that were rated Tube 1: VIII '75 88/95 Tube 2: X '75  98/82 and I can't really pick a winner yet. But I've got more russian tubes coming, it's become especially fun for me finding some mislabeled 6n23p - I'm gonna get tomorrow some Amperex Made in Germany labeled 6n23ps that look to be (from the low res picture) Single Wire Getters, we'll see what happens :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #8,241 of 23,494
It's an open frame test amp, so they're easy to take in and out by hand.

For the amp as delivered, tape works fine.

And the heat issue?
Noticed the lyr sounded much smoother after I got drunk and forgot to turn it off one night.
Would it harm it to be on for days?

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #8,242 of 23,494
  Could anyone do me a MASSIVE favor and help me find a set of decent tubes? I'm really new to  tube rolling but I've done hours upon hours of research and I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for on ebay (or other sites). I've read rb2013's favorites but I've had no luck with finding any of them on eBay that seem like a good deal. I've looked at OG's, Voskhods, Amperex 7308's, etc. but I don't know what's a "good deal". I have HD650's if that matters.

I'm looking for a warm sounding tube amp with nice clarity and soundstage for under $130. If you guys happen to find anything that fits this criteria could you pm me? Thank you so, so much for the help guys! I'm eternally grateful!
beerchug.gif
Thanks, again!

I really recommend Amperex Orange Globes. Search eBay. They are nice and smooth, and not like super expensive.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #8,243 of 23,494
And the heat issue?
Noticed the lyr sounded much smoother after I got drunk and forgot to turn it off one night.
Would it harm it to be on for days?

Won't harm the Lyr at all.  I left it on for over 300 hours one burn-in session/marathon.  I've read that the MOSFETs can take hours to get warmed up to optimal.  Perhaps that's what you were hearing.  Maybe I'll get drunk tonight, leave it on, and compare tomorrow afternoon 
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #8,245 of 23,494

Won't harm the Lyr at all.  I left it on for over 300 hours one burn-in session/marathon.  I've read that the MOSFETs can take hours to get warmed up to optimal.  Perhaps that's what you were hearing.  Maybe I'll get drunk tonight, leave it on, and compare tomorrow afternoon 
wink.gif

I've left mine on days at a time when I was rolling like crazy. Never had an issue. Lol

They are much more than Headphonius Supremei.  They are both prophets.
Just testifyin'.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #8,246 of 23,494
  They are much more than Headphonius Supremei.  They are both prophets.
Just testifyin'.

It's true (no point in false modesty), and not just prophets, but priests.  In fact, @Guidostrunk and I will bless your very expensive tubes in a week-long ritual.  PM one of us for details.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #8,247 of 23,494

It's true (no point in false modesty), and not just prophets, but priests.  In fact, @Guidostrunk and I will bless your very expensive tubes in a week-long ritual.  PM one of us for details.

Hear them !!!

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,249 of 23,494

LOL. What?

For airfare, room and board we can perform said rituals in the wilds of Finland.  Your tubes will be transformed, and you will subsequently be transported to dimensions you can't even imagine.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back