Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8,221 of 23,494
  Are socket savers necessary - Like what's the disadvantage of not having them (minus the ease of removing tubes) ? Also, is this listing legitimate and will the tubes work as advertised ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A42L-/221968928493?hash=item33ae610eed:g:D3cAAOSwuWVWFCmN Thanks a ton, guys! 
smily_headphones1.gif

No, not necessary, but if you roll a lot, you'll thank yourself for buying a pair.  While a lot of us use the nice Tubemonger savers, others have said the cheap ones you can find on eBay work fine.  The theory goes that they'll save the sockets built into the Lyr.  Not trying to be flippant.  I'd be very interested to hear what Jason from Schiit has to say.  I can imagine it being something like, We don't use schiit parts in Schiit amps.  Our sockets can take your punishing rolling regimen.  Or maybe he's down with the theory.

re: the tubes, mercedesman is a reputable dealer (I've bought at least three pairs from him).  If you're referring to how they sound, you should believe only two things: your ears.  That said, I have a pair of those "Orange Globe" Heerlens from 1967 (purchased from mercedesman), and they do have what I consider that nice Heerlen sound, as compared to other ECC88s made there.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #8,222 of 23,494
If this is the same eBay mercedesman6572 you are referring to, then I have some reservations. It might be just bad luck, but I bought a pair of Amperex 6922 from him about a year ago (cost $53 plus shipping). One of the tubes started to ring (constant high pitch sound) after 50 hours and blew one of my LCD-2 drivers. Fortunately the LCD-2 was still under warranty and Audeze fixed it for free.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #8,223 of 23,494
If this is the same eBay mercedesman6572 you are referring to, then I have some reservations. It might be just bad luck, but I bought a pair of Amperex 6922 from him about a year ago (cost $53 plus shipping). One of the tubes started to ring (constant high pitch sound) after 50 hours and blew one of my LCD-2 drivers. Fortunately the LCD-2 was still under warranty and Audeze fixed it for free.

Oh boy, this can happen? How can someone prevent this?

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8,224 of 23,494
  I'd be very interested to hear what Jason from Schiit has to say.  I can imagine it being something like, We don't use schiit parts in Schiit amps.  Our sockets can take your punishing rolling regimen.  Or maybe he's down with the theory.

We have a Lyr chassis that we use as a tube tester. Over 10,000 tubes went through the same sockets before we replaced them. No need for socket savers as far as I'm concerned.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8,225 of 23,494

You're in deep, my friend 
wink.gif

LOL, just noticed the double post quote.  Is that once for each tube??

Except this is a single tube.  That's why I dubbed him Crazy Eddie.  I know he usually overcharges, and I certainly wouldn't buy from him, but that one is just too funny.

Yeah, it certainly can be.

Been havin' trouble with my 'rithmetic lately bro

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #8,226 of 23,494
I bought some bad amperex from that guy too. So bad I won't resell them. Terrible microphonics and awful raw treble.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #8,227 of 23,494
Could anyone do me a MASSIVE favor and help me find a set of decent tubes? I'm really new to  tube rolling but I've done hours upon hours of research and I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for on ebay (or other sites). I've read rb2013's favorites but I've had no luck with finding any of them on eBay that seem like a good deal. I've looked at OG's, Voskhods, Amperex 7308's, etc. but I don't know what's a "good deal". I have HD650's if that matters.

I'm looking for a warm sounding tube amp with nice clarity and soundstage for under $130. If you guys happen to find anything that fits this criteria could you pm me? Thank you so, so much for the help guys! I'm eternally grateful!
beerchug.gif
Thanks, again!

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #8,228 of 23,494
Send @rb2013 a pm. I'm sure he'll have what you're looking for.
Could anyone do me a MASSIVE favor and help me find a set of decent tubes? I'm really new to  tube rolling but I've done hours upon hours of research and I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for on ebay (or other sites). I've read rb2013's favorites but I've had no luck with finding any of them on eBay that seem like a good deal. I've looked at OG's, Voskhods, Amperex 7308's, etc. but I don't know what's a "good deal". I have HD650's if that matters.

I'm looking for a warm sounding tube amp with nice clarity and soundstage for under $130. If you guys happen to find anything that fits this criteria could you pm me? Thank you so, so much for the help guys! I'm eternally grateful! :beerchug: Thanks, again!

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #8,230 of 23,494

We have a Lyr chassis that we use as a tube tester. Over 10,000 tubes went through the same sockets before we replaced them. No need for socket savers as far as I'm concerned.

Curious to know what method you used to extract those 10,000 tubes.

There's not a lot of tube showing above the frame so used to keep scratching my thumbnails on the lid until I got some "forceps"

Also would you see a risk to the unit from heat if it was left on for days?
Plenty of air above it, sitting on a bifrost.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #8,231 of 23,494
Pretty funny , when these ebay sellers, argue with you regarding codes. For someone selling Mullards, and never heard of R (Mitcham codes), and claims they don't exist, should never be allowed to sell tubes. LOL

Case in point Sammy:

Dear billerb1,

HI, i dont no what you are on about i have never seen or heard or came across in any publication a letterer B on these tubes. If what i think you are trying to ask is the word Blackburn, it is a mith never stamped the letter B on 6922 tubes.
These tubes where made in England.

- proline_red

To: proline_red
Subject: Details about item: billerb1 sent a message about MULLARD 6DJ8 ECC88 = 6922 E88CC CCA TUBES *PAIR 100% NOS GT BRITAIN #131677499614
Sent Date: Dec-17-15 07:33:03 PST

Dear proline_red,

Is there a code on both tubes? One that begins with a B possibly?
Let me know.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #8,232 of 23,494
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's the same seller. Hilarious! He sent the exact same response, verbatim. Too funny Billy.
Case in point Sammy:

[COLOR=000000]Dear billerb1,HI, i dont no what you are on about i have never seen or heard or came across in any publication a letterer B on these tubes. If what i think you are trying to ask is the word Blackburn, it is a mith never stamped the letter B on 6922 tubes.These tubes where made in England.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]- proline_red[/COLOR] 

[COLOR=666666] 
[rule]

Subject: Details about item: billerb1 sent a message about MULLARD 6DJ8 ECC88 = 6922 E88CC CCA TUBES *PAIR 100% NOS GT BRITAIN #131677499614

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Dear proline_red,Is there a code on both tubes? One that begins with a B possibly?Let me know.[/COLOR]

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #8,233 of 23,494

Case in point Sammy:

Dear billerb1,

HI, i dont no what you are on about i have never seen or heard or came across in any publication a letterer B on these tubes. If what i think you are trying to ask is the word Blackburn, it is a mith never stamped the letter B on 6922 tubes.
These tubes where made in England.

- proline_red

Dear proline_red,

Is there a code on both tubes? One that begins with a B possibly?
Let me know.

His grasp of the English language, along with the incredible use of punctuation, and not to mention his grammar skills, leave no doubt that he is the final authority on this matter.

I'm convinced.  I don't know what else you need to "no".

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #8,234 of 23,494
Send @rb2013 a pm. I'm sure he'll have what you're looking for.

He has some voskhods 75s, up on eBay. The 74 reflektors I wouldn't call a warm tube. Anything but. The 75 reflektors are not gonna go for 150, and he's out of bstock that passes muster. I'm trying to get some backups for the monarchy. They stomp everything in that. Stomp. In the lyr, I'm with these guys, heerlens, are tough to beat for the money. Voskhods ($75)and a descent pair of e88ccs (-$100) e188cc (-$150) don't bid over that. They will make it back around.
As far as the amp goes, some project amps have come around that range, not schiit lyr or Valhalla.$250 sometimes. Sorry G, trying to quote you both.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #8,235 of 23,494
  Curious to know what method you used to extract those 10,000 tubes.

There's not a lot of tube showing above the frame so used to keep scratching my thumbnails on the lid until I got some "forceps"

Also would you see a risk to the unit from heat if it was left on for days?
Plenty of air above it, sitting on a bifrost.

It's an open frame test amp, so they're easy to take in and out by hand.

For the amp as delivered, tape works fine.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back