Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 18, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #8,206 of 23,494
Hey guys! The last few weeks I've been doing TONS of research I think I've finally narrowed my choice down to these tubes. I have a pair of HD 650's / Valhalla 2's / Modi 2's. How will these tubes function in my set up? I'm really wanting a warm feel / nice sound stage. If these don't excel at this could anyone be so kind as to referring me to another set of tubes? Thanks so much guys! All your advice is greatly appreciated

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8,207 of 23,494
Your set up is already very warm. At least the Val and 650s are. I don't there are many tubes that will make that set up bright or even neutral. What does the Val come with these days? Still JJs or GEs?

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8,208 of 23,494
So I've been wondering guys, anyone got any good impressions with some modern production tubes in the lyr/lyr2? I have a good collection of the vintage oldies, but I realize I have not tried to modern ones at all. Any brand worth trying, or have any of you compared such a brand to their let's say favorite NOS pair and said hmm the difference is not that great to justify the price? I'm thinking to get some moderns to compare to my favorite oldies but not sure where to start, so I would appreciate any advice :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #8,209 of 23,494
  So I've been wondering guys, anyone got any good impressions with some modern production tubes in the lyr/lyr2? I have a good collection of the vintage oldies, but I realize I have not tried to modern ones at all. Any brand worth trying, or have any of you compared such a brand to their let's say favorite NOS pair and said hmm the difference is not that great to justify the price? I'm thinking to get some moderns to compare to my favorite oldies but not sure where to start, so I would appreciate any advice :)

I have basically no experience along these lines.  Tried the Gold Lions very early in my tube rolling.  Narrow soundstage to me but decent sonics.  The "new" Telefunkens have gotten some good reviews.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #8,210 of 23,494
What's wrong with this listing... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLAND-GIANT-D-GETTER-GOLD-PIN-AMPEREX-6922-E88CC-CCA-VINATGE-TUBE-AMAZING-/272082620487?

ECC88 with gold pins... screams fake, but what do I know.  Oh yeah, I know that he's smokin' crack with that price.  As he notes, "AMAZING."  Yeah, amazingly hilarious.  I think Old guy needs to retire.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #8,211 of 23,494
  What's wrong with this listing... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLAND-GIANT-D-GETTER-GOLD-PIN-AMPEREX-6922-E88CC-CCA-VINATGE-TUBE-AMAZING-/272082620487?

ECC88 with gold pins... screams fake, but what do I know.  Oh yeah, I know that he's smokin' crack with that price.  As he notes, "AMAZING."  Yeah, amazingly hilarious.  I think Old guy needs to retire.

Screamin' Tony.  I agree.  He uses that same description for a ton of his tubes too...

"THIS TUBE IS VERY CLEAN AND HAS CRYSTAL CLEAR GLASS NO BURN MARKS NO LEAKS NO SHORTS AND STRONG GM / EMISSIONS
 TESTED 100% AND IS 100% NEW NOS ALL THE WAY
 100% GUARANTEED TO WORK EXCELLENT IN YOUR PRE AMPLIFIER STEREO TUBE AUDIO GEAR.
 THIS TUBE HAS A TALL BOTTLE AND THICK CREASED GLASS TOP.
VERY RARE TO FIND THESE GOLD PIN SUPER TUBES IN THIS CONDITION
 YOU GET THE TUBE YOU SEE IN THE PHOTOS"

There's quite a few sellers out there that constantly use the same description for just about every tube they sell.  So they're basically telling you you're rolling the dice and good luck.  Credibility killer.

Edit:  Plus have you ever seen the 'Made in Holland' print look like that?  But the great thing about this pair is that you  seem to be able to choose whether you prefer them to be make in Holland OR the UK.  Lmao.
Tube selling...what a racket !!!

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #8,213 of 23,494
  I think he's a bit of a graphical artist... but why only the Euro type code? The tube was, supposedly, branded for the US market.

Oh, and most photos are way too dark as if to hide something.

Hide something, like, perhaps, the lack of seams on the top.  One photo hints at them, but as you say, pretty dark.

He should change his eBay name to Fantasist....

or Crazy Eddie, cuz his prices are INSANE!  (I'm sure someone got the joke
wink.gif
)

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #8,214 of 23,494

​Just to let everyone know.  The seller is the same one I bought the questionable red lable Valvo CCa's.  If anyone buys them for Bill,  Beware...

​Same "Old Guy" from La Habra, CA.  He has a second screen name Overlord-HD.  Watch those two...

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #8,215 of 23,494

Edit:  Plus have you ever seen the 'Made in Holland' print look like that?  But the great thing about this pair is that you  seem to be able to choose whether you prefer them to be make in Holland OR the UK.  Lmao.
Tube selling...what a racket !!!

Except this is a single tube.  That's why I dubbed him Crazy Eddie.  I know he usually overcharges, and I certainly wouldn't buy from him, but that one is just too funny.

Yeah, it certainly can be.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #8,216 of 23,494
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #8,217 of 23,494
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #8,218 of 23,494

Ooooh, nice Christmas present to yourself!  Hope they're the schiit.  At least you know you can trust Brent.
beerchug.gif

Ooooh, nice Christmas present to yourself!  Hope they're the schiit.  At least you know you can trust Brent.
beerchug.gif

Didn't I tell you a few weeks ago I was done?  God help me...

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #8,219 of 23,494

Didn't I tell you a few weeks ago I was done?  God help me...

You're in deep, my friend 
wink.gif

LOL, just noticed the double post quote.  Is that once for each tube??

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #8,220 of 23,494
Are socket savers necessary - Like what's the disadvantage of not having them (minus the ease of removing tubes) ? Also, is this listing legitimate and will the tubes work as advertised ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A42L-/221968928493?hash=item33ae610eed:g:D3cAAOSwuWVWFCmN Thanks a ton, guys! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back