Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #7,021 of 23,494
Hello everybody,

New to Head--Fi and also a total newbie to the world of tubes. Last week I sold one of my beloved mountain bikes since I don't have the space for it anymore. Of course I could put the money in the bank and save it for a rainy day but where would be the fun in that, right? So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an LCD-2 plus a Lyr 2, which is why I'm here now.

The Lyr 2 is going to be my first piece of equipment with tubes and the whole tube rolling thing really intrigues me, so I would like to buy some additional tubes (preferably two pairs) to compare them to the stock ones, see what I like and well, just have a little fun with it! So I tried to read as much as I could both here in this thread and on the net and currently I'm looking at buying these two:

2 x Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin

2 x Matsus***a PCC88/7DJ8

Are there any strong arguments against this combination? Of course I'd be grateful for any other recommendations. I'll also keep reading this thread, but 468 pages, really!?! 
wink_face.gif

The basic idea would be to get two pairs that don't sound the same, don't cost a fortune and work well with my current T90 and of course the LCD-2. I know people have different tastes but stuff that other people like always seem like a good place to start with.

One tube I've seen mentioned a lot are (early) 70's Russian Rockets. They have peaked my interest since they're supposed to be very good value for money. But I just can't find them! There are lots of 6N23p tubes on ebay but being really clueless about this stuff I'd rather avoid ebay (also, more often than not the year they were produced is not indicated and as far as I can tell that matters a lot, right?). So if anyone could give me any directions as to where  to find those gems, I'd be very thankful!

Anyway, that's that for now, I'm probably going to have a lot more questions once I've received my stuff... 
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Switzerland

PM Wildcatsare1 above to see about his Voskhods (Russian tubes...and it sounds like one of the best pairs!)
I personally really like, as have many others, the Amperex 7308's you're thinking about. The Matsu's don't strike me
as anything special. You might think about a pair of 60's Telefunken or Siemens E88CC's instead. Just my opinion.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #7,022 of 23,494
There is a seller in Germany that seems to hit a lot of nice tubes. So far , I like the HGs a lot more than the rockets . But the rockets have not been burned in completely. I do like the matsu****a nationals for the money. It's a very vivid sounding tube not quite the bass and tone of the rockets . A non prime pair of the HGs blow both away so far ,to my ears.

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,025 of 23,494
  Hey Ya'll, just ordered an Auralic Taurus Mk. 2, so I am going to be putting my beloved Lyr 2, with a pair of Voskhods from rb2013 (Bob, I think they are '75s, do you remember?), and Valvos, offers being accepted prior to listing, thanks. 

Splitter! 
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your new "toy," Wildcat 
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #7,026 of 23,494
Checking back in as the Voskhod 75s break in. They are much more impressive. Soundstage is opening up and details more evident. These are the favorite with the vibro. Warm and a bit lush with nice bass. Not as tight as the reflektor 75s but more present.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #7,027 of 23,494
feel like a wiener for not trying other tubes sooner. The amperex were such a subtle upgrade I was thinking it was a bit of snake oil. My amperexs were obviously not pws. The Matsu then the Russians really brought new life to 5 year old amp. Of course I could buy an amp for the cost of these things. Thanks a holes.
evil_smiley.gif
beerchug.gif

To those that haven't given it a try yet, do not go small.i really wasted a bit of money trying for a cheap fix. all subtle upgrades but ultimately a waste of money in the name of research. I've seen at least !0 different" Holy Grail" recommendations. Do some research on the threads and go for it. Its like a new amp.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #7,029 of 23,494

+1

I got a pair of '74 Refecktor from rb2013. Really nice, clean, and open sound. He is very responsible and helpful. I will definitely go to him again if I need to try other tubes.

Yes! Bob is great! I've bought several pairs of tubes from him, 6N23P's and a few 6N1P (Lyr only btw.).

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #7,030 of 23,494

+1

I got a pair of '74 Refecktor from rb2013. Really nice, clean, and open sound. He is very responsible and helpful. I will definitely go to him again if I need to try other tubes.

+2 rb2013 is the best.  I have purchased several set of tube from him.  Tubes were well tested, cleaned, carefully packed and shipped fast.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #7,032 of 23,494
Jun 15, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #7,034 of 23,494
Listening to a pair of '74 Reflektors I got from him as well. My Lyr has never sounded better.

Sweet!

i bought a pair of '74 Reflektors gray shields as well.
In transit...

THANKS BOB !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back