Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #7,051 of 23,494
What are your favorite Lyr/Lyr 2 tubes for LCD-2s headphones right now?

I've been listening to my LCD-2.2 with GE stock tubes for quite a long time (1.5 years) and they were fine, but since I upgraded to the Russian HGs (1975 reflektor silver SWPG) a few months ago, I am even more delighted! I get more natural sound, more details, better bass and slightly better soundstage and air. The tubes made a clear difference!

I am wondering what other tubes would be a good match for LCD-2s? I would love to experience other tubes' sound signatures with my LCD-2s. It's important for me to keep the overall sound quality on a high level, like Russian HGs (I wouldn't like to sacrifice resolution or detail, only to get another sound characteristic).

All individual preference of course but I've been a big fan of the early to mid-60's Holland made Philips Miniwatt E188CC's. The most luscious midrange you've ever heard. I personally much prefer them over the HG's...but that's me. Good luck. If you're patient and do your homework you can get them on eBay for under $150 for a matched pair.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #7,052 of 23,494
I was looking for a pair for a while^^. Never saw them quite that low. Bad timing I guess. I really enjoy the 75 Voskhod rockets too. Big upgrade over the matsu****a which were a big upgrade over the 63 amperex 6922 which were a subtle upgrade to the jjs. But the HGs are my favorites . Can't throw for those Cca's but people seem to love them

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7,053 of 23,494
Has anyone tried a pair of ECC804 (also 6/30L2, B729 and very rarely, 6GA8)? To the best of my knowledge, these were manufactured only by Brimar, regardless of the brand printed on the tube.

It has 6.3 volt, 0.3 amp heaters and the same pinout as a 6DJ8, so electrically, it is plug and play in Lyr/Lyr 2. In terms of tonality, I find it to be in between the thicker, warmer Mullard and the brighter, lusher Heerlen. To my ears, a very nice tube. :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7,054 of 23,494
I was looking for a pair for a while^^. Never saw them quite that low. Bad timing I guess. I really enjoy the 75 Voskhod rockets too. Big upgrade over the matsu****a which were a big upgrade over the 63 amperex 6922 which were a subtle upgrade to the jjs. But the HGs are my favorites . Can't throw for those Cca's but people seem to love them

You'll never see them that low at a Buy It Now price...needs to be a bid situation. And usually European Ebay is your best bet.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #7,055 of 23,494
All individual preference of course but I've been a big fan of the early to mid-60's Holland made Philips Miniwatt E188CC's. The most luscious midrange you've ever heard. I personally much prefer them over the HG's...but that's me. Good luck. If you're patient and do your homework you can get them on eBay for under $150 for a matched pair.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Do the Miniwatts provide the similar level of resolution and detail as HGs? How are they in terms of sound-stage size and 'airiness' (esp. compared to HGs)? 

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #7,056 of 23,494
  Has anyone tried a pair of ECC804 (also 6/30L2, B729 and very rarely, 6GA8)? To the best of my knowledge, these were manufactured only by Brimar, regardless of the brand printed on the tube.

It has 6.3 volt, 0.3 amp heaters and the same pinout as a 6DJ8, so electrically, it is plug and play in Lyr/Lyr 2. In terms of tonality, I find it to be in between the thicker, warmer Mullard and the brighter, lusher Heerlen. To my ears, a very nice tube. :)

Oooh, very interesting.  Are you sure they'll work in a Lyr?  I need to do some research.  Prices aren't bad; shipping is half the cost from what I've found.  I'm always looking to expand the Glass Menagerie 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the tip 
beerchug.gif

I snagged these two pics from the Tube Museum from the ECC88 and ECC804 pages, respectively.  They do look identical.

ECC88                                ECC804

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #7,057 of 23,494
Do the Miniwatts provide the similar level of resolution and detail as HGs? How are they in terms of sound-stage size and 'airiness' (esp. compared to HGs)? 

That's a loaded question because ears are so different. HGs to me, on my rig anyway, very detailed but I was never thrilled with the separation between instruments. I thought their imaging was flatter and a little more 2 dimensional than the Miniwatts. Minis more 3d and with more realistic timbre. Soundstage a little wider but not deeper on the HG's. Again though, those are MY ears. You may hate them. Always a roll of the dice when you try to describe a "sound".
Good luck.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #7,058 of 23,494

Oooh, very interesting.  Are you sure they'll work in a Lyr? 

I snagged these two pics from the Tube Museum from the ECC88 and ECC804 pages, respectively.  They do look identical.

I am sure they will work... plug and play!  However, I can't say for sure that they will sound good in the Lyr, as I am using these in another amp. :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #7,059 of 23,494
 Originally Posted by korzena 

Quote:

IMHO if you like rb2013's 75 vokshod or 74/75 reflektors you may find that the Siemens or Telefunkens to have similar airy yet detailed tone.  While I have both kinds of CCa's the E88CC, E188CC and E288CC versions have that same house sound for a lot less money than the CCa's, but as Billrb1 says do your homework and be patient.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7,060 of 23,494
That's a loaded question because ears are so different. HGs to me, on my rig anyway, very detailed but I was never thrilled with the separation between instruments. I thought their imaging was flatter and a little more 2 dimensional than the Miniwatts. Minis more 3d and with more realistic timbre. Soundstage a little wider but not deeper on the HG's. Again though, those are MY ears. You may hate them. Always a roll of the dice when you try to describe a "sound".
Good luck.

I did actually used 60's Dario Miniwatt once. It was in a DAC - RWA Isabellina. I remember I liked it with my W5000 at that time. I remember it as a nice and gentle sounding tube.
Hopefully Miniwatt won't be too gentle with the music I listen too, namely EDM, indie rock, pop. I also hope I won't get too much of the luscious mids playing them with my LCD-2:wink: I will welcome better separation, more 3d and good timber!

I think I need to find a pair at a reasonable price - probably will try bidding on European ebay.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #7,061 of 23,494
  I am sure they will work... plug and play!  However, I can't say for sure that they will sound good in the Lyr, as I am using these in another amp. :)

I know you have another amp, so I really appreciate you posting such great things to the Lyr thread 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'm no engineer, so just looking for a little confirmation from one who knows before I drop a few bucks on them.  If I do, I'll post some impressions... eventually.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #7,062 of 23,494

I did actually used 60's Dario Miniwatt once. It was in a DAC - RWA Isabellina. I remember I liked it with my W5000 at that time. I remember it as a nice and gentle sounding tube.
Hopefully Miniwatt won't be too gentle with the music I listen too, namely EDM, indie rock, pop. I also hope I won't get too much of the luscious mids playing them with my LCD-2:wink: I will welcome better separation, more 3d and good timber!

I think I need to find a pair at a reasonable price - probably will try bidding on European ebay.

In my experience most Dario Miniwatts are French made, although there are some Holland mades that are branded Dario. The French tubes to me are, as you describe, a more delicate sounding tube...and they don't bring that glorious midrange that I associate with the Holland made Philips. The Heerlen Holland Miniwatts are big and bold...it seems you can almost reach out and touch the instruments. Remember that these are my impressions. Many on this thread are familiar with the Holland Philips Miniwatt E188CC's. Maybe some could add their impressions to give you a more balanced perspective.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #7,063 of 23,494
I know you have another amp, so I really appreciate you posting such great things to the Lyr thread 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'm no engineer, so just looking for a little confirmation from one who knows before I drop a few bucks on them.  If I do, I'll post some impressions... eventually.

Electrically, I am sure it will work... plug and play. And as the ECC804 is more similar to a ECC88 than the ECC189 and the ECC85 some are using, it just might sound pretty good. :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7,064 of 23,494
Well, I did it! After being confused by tube lingo for a year, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some NOS Phillips Miniwatt E188cc tubes for my Lyr! This should be interesting...

I'm running Beyerdynamic T5p cans.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #7,065 of 23,494
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind when I get itchy again. I've caved to the LC and LH programs so I've got a bucks out with no return for now. Besides , my Russians aren't even burned in yet. In fact, neither are the matsu****a or tungrams . Bought too many too fast. Curious...but spent out for a while. I quoted MWSVette here but i screwed it up. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back