Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 23, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #6,571 of 23,494
true, 

I have used ebay but you have to be very careful. I cannot tell if they are lie outright, lazy, or just ignorant but I it's a crap shoot.

yeah, the first pair of tubes i ordered via ebay came from ukraine and sounded terrible. they were labeled as SWGP's but were very disappointing. I'm glad i decided to message rob and pick up a pair of the 74's but I'm curious on how much better the 75's can be (i know YMMV).

as a side note: I can't believe how much the sound changed on the 74 SWGP's from when i started burning it in to what it sounds like now, I don't know if its a real change or psychological but idc they sound fantastic to me now.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #6,572 of 23,494
  true, 
yeah, the first pair of tubes i ordered via ebay came from ukraine and sounded terrible. they were labeled as SWGP's but were very disappointing. I'm glad i decided to message rob and pick up a pair of the 74's but I'm curious on how much better the 75's can be (i know YMMV).

as a side note: I can't believe how much the sound changed on the 74 SWGP's from when i started burning it in to what it sounds like now, I don't know if its a real change or psychological but idc they sound fantastic to me now.

I am of the opinion the sound does change. I believe this because I periodically switch tubes with different sound signatures but I do have my favorite pairs '75 SWGP Reflecktor Silvers and '74 SWGP Reflecktor Greys. As I bounce to other tubes they provide a reference point and I can hear the other tubes change with use. My logic is that if other tubes change with burn-in then the Reflecktor do too.

I am sure someone can poke holes but that my theory and sticking with it.
atsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #6,573 of 23,494

I am of the opinion the sound does change. I believe this because I periodically switch tubes with different sound signatures but I do have my favorite pairs '75 SWGP Reflecktor Silvers and '74 SWGP Reflecktor Greys. As I bounce to other tubes they provide a reference point and I can hear the other tubes change with use. My logic is that if other tubes change with burn-in then the Reflecktor do too.

I am sure someone can poke holes but that my theory and sticking with it.
atsmile.gif

rb2013 would tell you that the Russian tubes sound can continue to evolve thru as much as a 200 hours of burn in and I agree. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #6,574 of 23,494
rb2013 would tell you that the Russian tubes sound can continue to evolve thru as much as a 200 hours of burn in and I agree. 

+1. I miss bob @rb2013 and his tube lore.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #6,575 of 23,494

Yep, when I emailed him asking about burn in he responded the same. 

I was a bit underwhelmed the first time I plugged the tubes in. its been 2 days and when I got home and threw my headphones on i was blown away by the change.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #6,576 of 23,494
So, I just traded the stock tubes in my Lyr 2 for some used Bugle Boys. First thing I notice is the beauty of the midrange. Excited to spend more time with them and my Grado PS500s. 

Thanks to all for the collected wisdom here. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #6,577 of 23,494
So, I just traded the stock tubes in my Lyr 2 for some used Bugle Boys. First thing I notice is the beauty of the midrange. Excited to spend more time with them and my Grado PS500s. 

Thanks to all for the collected wisdom here. 

Congrats!

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,580 of 23,494
I've had both , and still have a set of HG's. The 74's , are definitely a step behind, in overall , sound to my ears. Others , have preferred the 74's. It's all in the ears bro.

Cheers
:beerchug:
true, 

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #6,582 of 23,494
Hey guys!

I found a pair of the Amperex USN-CEP 7308 White '65 at tubeworldexpress, however I wonder if they take time to burn in. I have valhalla 2, but this thread is much more active with tube rolling (and the output tubes of the V2 don't change the sound too much). Even after 20 hours I still think the sound of the amperex is closed in and the treble is harsh (harsher than stock Valhalla 2). The bass is great, but I think the stock tubes still sound much more open than the 7308. Which doesn't match the description I read various places of the Amperex 7308. 

Small update: Have now 40 hours on them and the treble seems to have settled a bit, but the sound still sound "closed in" an have a smaller soundstage in width and dept compared to the stock 6n1p. 

I am relatively new to tubes and I just wonder if tubes need to have many hours on them before I can really start to form an impression,

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #6,583 of 23,494
I usually don't judge a tube until I'm out past 100 hours. After 75 things really start to open up. Give it more time.
Cheers
Hey guys!

I found a pair of the Amperex USN-CEP 7308 White '65 at tubeworldexpress, however I wonder if they take time to burn in. I have valhalla 2, but this thread is much more active with tube rolling (and the output tubes of the V2 don't change the sound too much). Even after 20 hours I still think the sound of the amperex is closed in and the treble is harsh (harsher than stock Valhalla 2). The bass is great, but I think the stock tubes still sound much more open than the 7308. Which doesn't match the description I read various places of the Amperex 7308. 

Small update: Have now 40 hours on them and the treble seems to have settled a bit, but the sound still sound "closed in" an have a smaller soundstage in width and dept compared to the stock 6n1p. 

I am relatively new to tubes and I just wonder if tubes need to have many hours on them before I can really start to form an impression,

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #6,585 of 23,494
No problem bro. Tubes can sound pretty bad , right out of the box , NOS. My current Dumonts , were pretty harsh when I first put them in. I'm at about 60 hours with them and they're sublime. Synergy and preference plays a huge role also.

Cheers bro.
Ok thanks! Maybe I was too hyped up reading the good reviews about it :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back