Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #6,586 of 23,494
Hey guys, a newbie tube roller here.

I just pulled out my stock tubes and look what I found!

The stock tube seems to have black 'flash' or soot below the getter flash point (pic1), burn mark 'ring' around the bottom of the tube (pic2) and some rainbow discolouration of the plate shield (pic3). I think the tubes have less than 200 hours on them. They came with Lyr2, so they must have been NOS.

Are these normal for used tubes?

pic1 - 'flash' or soot below getter flash 

pic2 - burn mark, ring around the bottom of the tube

pic3 - rainbow discolouring
(High res: http://jiniec.com/temp/stock1.jpghttp://jiniec.com/temp/stock2.jpghttp://jiniec.com/temp/stock3.jpg)

Compare these with a pair of Used USN-CEP tubes I just received.. These tubes look super clean and exhibit none of the marks on relatively new stock tubes.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Jin

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #6,587 of 23,494
It is nothing to be concerned about. These were manufactured in different factories, by different companies using different procedures. As your collection grows, with close observation, you will notice that there are indeed lots of little differences between tubes manufactured in different factories or even the same factory but at different times. But again, nothing to be concerned about.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6,588 of 23,494
  Hey guys, a newbie tube roller here.

I just pulled out my stock tubes and look what I found!

The stock tube seems to have black 'flash' or soot below the getter flash point (pic1), burn mark 'ring' around the bottom of the tube (pic2) and some rainbow discolouration of the plate shield (pic3). I think the tubes have less than 200 hours on them. They came with Lyr2, so they must have been NOS.

Are these normal for used tubes?

pic1 - 'flash' or soot below getter flash 

pic2 - burn mark, ring around the bottom of the tube

pic3 - rainbow discolouring
(High res: http://jiniec.com/temp/stock1.jpghttp://jiniec.com/temp/stock2.jpghttp://jiniec.com/temp/stock3.jpg)

Compare these with a pair of Used USN-CEP tubes I just received.. These tubes look super clean and exhibit none of the marks on relatively new stock tubes.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Jin

I checked my original stock tubes. They are the same as yours in pictures 1 and 2.  I do not think you have a problem.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,590 of 23,494
I checked my original stock tubes. They are the same as yours in pictures 1 and 2.  I do not think you have a problem.

It is nothing to be concerned about. These were manufactured in different factories, by different companies using different procedures. As your collection grows, with close observation, you will notice that there are indeed lots of little differences between tubes manufactured in different factories or even the same factory but at different times. But again, nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you so much guys! And the amperex use cep 7308 gives lyr2 a huge boost in sound stage! And I feel overall definition and clarity has improved considerably.

This is how it starts, isn't it? Addiction to tube rolling and tube acquisition syndrome...

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #6,592 of 23,494
Thank you so much guys! And the amperex use cep 7308 gives lyr2 a huge boost in sound stage! And I feel overall definition and clarity has improved considerably.

This is how it starts, isn't it? Addiction to tube rolling and tube acquisition syndrome...

Yes. Yes it is. 

I am finally free of it. FREEEEEEEE.  
biggrin.gif

I built my Mainline and well... I thought I would want to roll tubes. You can't with it, as there are no variants.  But uh... you don't have to! There's no need.  What's ironic is I paid for most of it with Lyr tube stock I had piled up.

Not that the Lyr is anything to sneeze at with a top tier pair of tubes. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #6,593 of 23,494

Yes. Yes it is. 

I am finally free of it. FREEEEEEEE.  
biggrin.gif

I built my Mainline and well... I thought I would want to roll tubes. You can't with it, as there are no variants.  But uh... you don't have to! There's no need.  What's ironic is I paid for most of it with Lyr tube stock I had piled up.

Not that the Lyr is anything to sneeze at with a top tier pair of tubes. 

tell me about it...

paid 250 for the amp so far 380 in tubes =/

oh well, sounds great!

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,594 of 23,494
tell me about it...

paid 250 for the amp so far 380 in tubes =/

oh well, sounds great!

I am over that already! Only 5 weeks of Lyr owning
I can roll more tube types with the Lyr.
I've got some 6N1P on the way. Lower cost because demand is not as high
The Lyr2 can't provide the higher current they need.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,595 of 23,494
I am over that already! Only 5 weeks of Lyr owning
I can roll more tube types with the Lyr.
I've got some 6N1P on the way. Lower cost because demand is not as high
The Lyr2 can't provide the higher current they need.

I've got the OG's and the 74' silver russians with the 75' OG on the way can you compare the 6n1p?

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #6,597 of 23,494
Cool! 1975 Amperex Orange Globes? I'm curious about those
I love the 1974 Reflektors!

Note: others may not! I also think it depends on your headphones and personal preference.Some would think the Reflektor too bright. I've got "roll off " in my high frequencies in my ears- so bright means I don't need EQ

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #6,599 of 23,494
PM rb2013. He has some inexpensive tubes , that definitely better the stock. Not sure what he has at the moment. But he usually has tubes starting around 40 or 50 bucks a pair. Possibly some for less.
Cheers
Has anyone spent some time with the Lyr2 and done some tube rolling? Looking for some budget tubes that might sound a little better than the 6BZ7.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #6,600 of 23,494
Question for my tube rolling friends. Does anyone else have problems getting PM notifications?
Someone sent me a reply a day ago , and sent a follow up just now. I never got a notification for the first response.
Crazy stuff. Lol

Edit: Seems isolated, to mobile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back