Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 21, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #6,556 of 23,494
Thanks Thurston. How's your lab assistant "Rangy?" Gone Ape? :wink:

He's busy burning in tubes, testing cans and other Lab-related activities, while I suffer and revel in the "home" teams' NHL and NBA playoff performances 
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6,560 of 23,494
  So I Purchased a pair of 67' Orange Globes from mercedesman via eBay. They sound amazing but when I unplug my headphones they make a loud static sound, even if my volume is at 0.

if i plug them in before i turn the amp on then the sound pops up on startup, if i plug them in after the amp is on and the click happens then i get the loud static when I plug it in. It doesn't affect my music at all but I just want to make sure I'm not going to harm my headphones.

I measure the sound with my phone dB meter it clocks in at 95.

i tried the stock tubes that came with the lyr and there's a very muted version of the sound (barely audible) so there's a chance it could be the amp I guess. 

Any suggestions or experiences with this problem? 

I thing you have microphonic tubes. Turn your amp, plug headphones and make this test:Tap each tube with the eraser end of a pencil. If you get feedback or a bell-like ringing sound, the tube is microphonic! One on my best tubes are very microphonic, even when I tap table under my amp,and I get that ringing sound. I have very good experience with mercedesman from ebay, he will take care of your problem. Also you can try tube dampers from http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #6,561 of 23,494
     I thing you have microphonic tubes. Turn your amp, plug headphones and make this test:Tap each tube with the eraser end of a pencil. If you get feedback or a bell-like ringing sound, the tube is microphonic! One on my best tubes are very microphonic, even when I tap table under my amp,and I get that ringing sound. I have very good experience with mercedesman from ebay, he will take care of your problem. Also you can try tube dampers from http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm.

Thanks man, appreciate the help. Mercedesman has been phenomenal throughout the whole process. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #6,562 of 23,494
Just got my orange globes in today. Wow another step up from the Russian 6n23p's. So much smoother and richer.

What's the next step up? (<--this question is gonna get me into a lot of trouble I can feel it ><)

Are there any current production tubes that can compare? What are we going to do once we exhaust all the NOS tubes!?

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #6,563 of 23,494
  Just got my orange globes in today. Wow another step up from the Russian 6n23p's. So much smoother and richer.

Which Amperex OGs do you have? What cans are you using?

I have a pair and I like them, but I prefer my '74 / 75 SWGP Grey Reflecktors with my Hifiman HE-400/500 cans.

Originally Posted by mksuen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are we going to do once we exhaust all the NOS tubes!?

Personally, I am going to have a stiff drink and a good cry. Perhaps several..

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #6,564 of 23,494

Which Amperex OGs do you have? What cans are you using?

I have a pair and I like them, but I prefer my '74 / 75 SWGP Grey Reflecktors with my Hifiman HE-400/500 cans.

Personally, I am going to have a stiff drink and a good cry. Perhaps several..

I got them used from the buy/sell: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760000/amperex-orange-globe-6dj8-ecc88-matched-pair

Haven't had a chance to try them with all my headphones yet. Currently listening with my SR225's.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #6,565 of 23,494

I got them used from the buy/sell: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760000/amperex-orange-globe-6dj8-ecc88-matched-pair

Haven't had a chance to try them with all my headphones yet. Currently listening with my SR225's.

Ah.. OK! I think I understand and thank you. I have '67 Orange Globes but probably similar sound signature.

If my assumption that the SR225 cans have a similar sound signature to the the SR325 cans is correct, we have very different listening preferences. I had a pair of SR325i which I bought due to my experience with my gateway headphones, Grado SR80e. I found the SR325i cans to be too forward and *very* fatiguing so I shipped them back to Grado and moved to the Hifiman HE-400 and, later, HE-500 cans.

It is amazing how everyone is so different. Makes things very interesting.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #6,566 of 23,494

If my assumption that the SR225 cans have a similar sound signature to the the SR325 cans is correct, we have very different listening preferences. I had a pair of SR325i which I bought due to my experience with my gateway headphones, Grado SR80e. I found the SR325i cans to be too forward and *very* fatiguing so I shipped them back to Grado and moved to the Hifiman HE-400 and, later, HE-500 cans.

The SR225e's are not nearly as forward or bright as the SR325i's. I started with SR60i's and tweaked them to how I liked them but there just wasn't enough detail. After going through the whole line again from 60 to 325 when the e series came out, I settled on the 225s. With cocobolo sleeves and aluminum cups they really open up and they're much less fatiguing than stock. The highs can still get to me after about 3 to 4 hours of straight listening as its not a laid-back headphone, but I wouldn't trade the fun and punch of a grado for being able to listen longer.

I'll cycle through my other headphones in the next week. I'll make sure to try the HE400 next =]

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #6,567 of 23,494

The SR225e's are not nearly as forward or bright as the SR325i's. I started with SR60i's and tweaked them to how I liked them but there just wasn't enough detail. After going through the whole line again from 60 to 325 when the e series came out, I settled on the 225s. With cocobolo sleeves and aluminum cups they really open up and they're much less fatiguing than stock. The highs can still get to me after about 3 to 4 hours of straight listening as its not a laid-back headphone, but I wouldn't trade the fun and punch of a grado for being able to listen longer.

I'll cycle through my other headphones in the next week. I'll make sure to try the HE400 next =]

Cool. Perhaps I will take a look at the 225 at a later date.

Look forward to your observations with the OGs and the HE-400s.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #6,569 of 23,494
Hey guys I'd like to try the Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields, anyone have any idea where I could look for a pair aside from messaging rob (he doesn't have any for sale atm) keeping an eye out through hifi-shark and the for sale forums here is rough (needle in a haystack situation).

also what can I expect to pay for these?

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #6,570 of 23,494
  Hey guys I'd like to try the Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields, anyone have any idea where I could look for a pair aside from messaging rob (he doesn't have any for sale atm) keeping an eye out through hifi-shark and the for sale forums here is rough (needle in a haystack situation).

also what can I expect to pay for these?

I have used ebay but you have to be very careful. I cannot tell if they are lie outright, lazy, or just ignorant but I it's a crap shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back