Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 19, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #6,526 of 23,494
Great question. I'm rolling stock tubes now....but, like everyone else here, I gave in to the insanity

So, I took the advice to pick up some cheap tubes on eBay to play with. I have every intention of buying some stupidly expensive tubes later, but I wanted to start small and see how much of a difference - good or bad - tubes could really make. 

So, my first two purchases are: 

NOS Russian 6N1P matched pair for next to nothing. 
I actually expect these to sound pretty bad, but am curious to see how they match up with the much maligned stock tubes. 

NOS 1975 OTK2 matched pair
I also got these for next to nothing, but there's some confusion about what I'm expecting to arrive. Anyone want to tell me what these are? 

What is the writing on the tubes?

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,527 of 23,494

Great question. I'm rolling stock tubes now....but, like everyone else here, I gave in to the insanity

So, I took the advice to pick up some cheap tubes on eBay to play with. I have every intention of buying some stupidly expensive tubes later, but I wanted to start small and see how much of a difference - good or bad - tubes could really make. 

I actually expect these to sound pretty bad, but am curious to see how they match up with the much maligned stock tubes. 

I also got these for next to nothing, but there's some confusion about what I'm expecting to arrive. Anyone want to tell me what these are? 

The 1975 OTK2 also appear to be 6N1P.... So first things first...  I hope you do not have a Lyr2, as these tubes draw too much heater current for that amp. However, in the original Lyr, they are fine.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #6,528 of 23,494

I believe the tubes in the picture are 6N1P.

Funny my first tube purchase was a set of 6N1P's also. Came on the thread here and stated what I had done and rb2013 said I had probably made a mistake but might get lucky.  So when I got them I dutifully let them burn in for about 50 hours and gave them a listen. They were terrible.  So bad I threw them away.  Quickly went back to the stock tubes.  While that could have been the end of tube rolling for me, I tried again and got lucky.  On ebay I found a set of 6n23p from a US seller and bought those.  Turned out I had bought them from rb2013 without even knowing it was him.  They sounded so much better than the 6N1P's or even the stock tubes.

Now over a dozen sets of tubes later what I have found about the Lyr is it can be a different amp with every tube roll. Another thing is that how much you pay for the tubes and what they sound like have little to do with another. 

So your right to start out with some less expensive tubes.

Good luck.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #6,529 of 23,494

The 1975 OTK2 also appear to be 6N1P.... So first things first...  I hope you do not have a Lyr2, as these tubes draw too much heater current for that amp. However, in the original Lyr, they are fine.

Oh, no! As with most eBay auctions, they listed a dozen seemingly compatible tube variants, but if they are 6N1P, i'm out of luck b/c I do have the Lyr 2. Luckily I spent less than lunch on both tubes combined. 

When they show up, I'll take some pics and we can see what I've got. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #6,530 of 23,494
  Oh, no! As with most eBay auctions, they listed a dozen seemingly compatible tube variants, but if they are 6N1P, i'm out of luck b/c I do have the Lyr 2. Luckily I spent less than lunch on both tubes combined. 

When they show up, I'll take some pics and we can see what I've got. 

I've never taken a leap into the unknown like that. I hope it works out!

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #6,531 of 23,494
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,532 of 23,494
Yes- 6N1P are compatible with the Lyr but not the Lyr2. I have the Lyr-not yet tried any 6N1P.
Some comments on the differences. I note they need twice the current!
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/5/57069.html

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6,533 of 23,494
  Yes- 6N1P are compatible with the Lyr but not the Lyr2. I have the Lyr-not yet tried any 6N1P.

It's funny, I had read the compatibility chart, internalized it, and then forgot about it in the haze of scouring eBay for some cheap tubes to start my journey. As I said, the listings I purchased listed basically all of the equivalents - e88cc, 6JD8, etc - so I just made the mistake of not knowing which variant the actual tube would be. 

In any case, I should have some NOS 72 and 75 Russian tubes on the way. Maybe we can find them a good home here and people can post impressions since I can't? 

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,534 of 23,494
It's funny, I had read the compatibility chart, internalized it, and then forgot about it in the haze of scouring eBay for some cheap tubes to start my journey. As I said, the listings I purchased listed basically all of the equivalents - e88cc, 6JD8, etc - so I just made the mistake of not knowing which variant the actual tube would be. 

In any case, I should have some NOS 72 and 75 Russian tubes on the way. Maybe we can find them a good home here and people can post impressions since I can't? 

I am interested! I'll PM you after I get home this eve

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,535 of 23,494
So I Purchased a pair of 67' Orange Globes from mercedesman via eBay. They sound amazing but when I unplug my headphones they make a loud static sound, even if my volume is at 0.

if i plug them in before i turn the amp on then the sound pops up on startup, if i plug them in after the amp is on and the click happens then i get the loud static when I plug it in. It doesn't affect my music at all but I just want to make sure I'm not going to harm my headphones.

I measure the sound with my phone dB meter it clocks in at 95.

i tried the stock tubes that came with the lyr and there's a very muted version of the sound (barely audible) so there's a chance it could be the amp I guess. 

Any suggestions or experiences with this problem? 

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #6,537 of 23,494
So I Purchased a pair of 67' Orange Globes from mercedesman via eBay. They sound amazing but when I unplug my headphones they make a loud static sound, even if my volume is at 0.

if i plug them in before i turn the amp on then the sound pops up on startup, if i plug them in after the amp is on and the click happens then i get the loud static when I plug it in. It doesn't affect my music at all but I just want to make sure I'm not going to harm my headphones.

I measure the sound with my phone dB meter it clocks in at 95.

i tried the stock tubes that came with the lyr and there's a very muted version of the sound (barely audible) so there's a chance it could be the amp I guess. 

Any suggestions or experiences with this problem? 

If you have the same issue with the stock it might be the amp. I'd contact Schiit right away.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,540 of 23,494
I've decided to sell my American-made pair of Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist tubes and am giving the Lyr Tube Rollers first shot at them. I have 2 other pair of Holland-made PW's which slightly prefer. Most seem to prefer the American-mades, however.
Both tubes test NOS or near NOS. Here are the numbers and codes:
7L4/*8L tests 99/104 with minimum being 50
7L4/*9H tests 102/106 with minimum being 50
They sound fantastic and are dead quiet. No tube noise that I can hear on my Woo Audio WA2.
I am waiting to hear back from one person as to interest in them. If he decides against, they will go to
the first taker. Price is $375 + $12 for insured USPS Priority shipping. Will only ship to continental USA.
PM me if interested. Price is firm.

This is the take on the American-made Pinched Waists from Joe's Tube Lore:

Amperex 6922, PQ, white label, US, pinched waist (shield, gold pins) Yeow! My reference tube. An absolutely gorgeous sounding tube with an unusual physical characteristic. The glass of the tube is actually slightly pinched at the about the point of the upper mica spacer. This reduces the tube’s diameter at that point resulting in a subtle hourglass shape. The reason for this was for the bottle to actually clamp the upper mica space at its rounded corners resulting in a more rigid, less microphonic, structure. The result? A tube that defines the Amperex house sound: Lively, transparent & detailed with extended highs, yet absolutely no grain, with a punchy, dynamic bass. Mids? Lucid and palpable, thank you. The best tube in the 6DJ8 family IMO. The only downside? These guys make the rare Siemens CCas look absolutely common in comparison. Cost? If you have to ask.. If I were hunting for a tube almost as good and much more accessible? I’d hunt down some US white label PQs and live contentedly until the gods smiled on me and I lucked into some of these...

**************** S O L D*******************

Users who are viewing this thread

Back