Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,511 of 23,494
As I understand it they Are remakes. The Black Diamond are supposed to be the high grade remakes. I might buy a pair. At worst I could use them for playing Xbox 360/Xbox One games and save my Siemens Cca gray shields, and Reflektor Silver Shield 74's (from Rb2013) for music.

I have a pair of Black. Diamonds and after 200 + hour burn time, they sound very nice. But the Black Diamonds are not nearly as good ad the NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. I would say the BD's are a good scotch blend, but the NOS Telefunkens are fantastic, 50 year old single malt scotch. I use the Black Diamonds for playing my Xbox 360. And I use Gold Lions for everyday jam sessions . I only use the NOS Telefunken tubes for special listening sessions.:)

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,516 of 23,494
I have a pair of Black. Diamonds and after 200 + hour burn time, they sound very nice. But the Black Diamonds are not nearly as good ad the NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. I would say the BD's are a good scotch blend, but the NOS Telefunkens are fantastic, 50 year old single malt scotch. I use the Black Diamonds for playing my Xbox 360. And I use Gold Lions for everyday jam sessions . I only use the NOS Telefunken tubes for special listening sessions.:)

Good to know Reddog, it would be cheaper to buy another pair of stock tubes from Schiit for that! Did you get your Telefunken NOS from Upscale Audio?

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6,517 of 23,494
Good to know Reddog, it would be cheaper to buy another pair of stock tubes from Schiit for that! Did you get your Telefunken NOS from Upscale Audio?

Yes but the tubes were cheaper back then. I paid 230$ for a pair a year ago. The stock tubes, for the lyr2, sound alright after 200 + hours of burn time. However I much prefer my Genalex Gold Lions to the stock tubes though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,518 of 23,494
Yes but the tubes were cheaper back then. I paid 230$ for a pair a year ago. The stock tubes, for the lyr2, sound alright after 200 + hours of burn time. However I much prefer my Genalex Gold Lions to the stock tubes though.

Good to know! Gold Lions are not expensive.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #6,519 of 23,494
  Are the Valvo Hamburg E88CC that good?  As I remember you have a set of E288CC's, how do they sound in comparison as I have 2 sets of E288CC's.

Can't trust my memory, so I'd have to do a back-to-back comparison.  If I have time this weekend, I will, otherwise shoot me a PM reminder.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6,520 of 23,494
Hi Guido Sam!
I sent Pay Pal- check your email and PM!
Looking forward to hearing them sing!
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #6,523 of 23,494
So WHO is Rolling WHAT in their Lyr/Lyr2?
I am about 100 hours into a pair of "Early 60's Siemens Gray Shield Cca's" from Rb. Very balanced and SMOOTH sound. I was listening to Jazz Vocals last night (Tierney Sutton, Madeleine Peyroux, Jane Monheit, and Dianna Krall) and there was a happy,smooth ambience about the sound-and the vocals were SWEET!
I am about to delve further into audio bliss…. :) 

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6,524 of 23,494
  So WHO is Rolling WHAT in their Lyr/Lyr2?

Great question. I'm rolling stock tubes now....but, like everyone else here, I gave in to the insanity

So, I took the advice to pick up some cheap tubes on eBay to play with. I have every intention of buying some stupidly expensive tubes later, but I wanted to start small and see how much of a difference - good or bad - tubes could really make. 

So, my first two purchases are: 

NOS Russian 6N1P matched pair for next to nothing. 
I actually expect these to sound pretty bad, but am curious to see how they match up with the much maligned stock tubes. 

NOS 1975 OTK2 matched pair
I also got these for next to nothing, but there's some confusion about what I'm expecting to arrive. Anyone want to tell me what these are? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back