Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4,352 of 23,494
Jan 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,353 of 23,494
  It's not a complete list.

Thurston, do your Ediswan 6BQ7As carry these codes?

1. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/brimarcodes.html

It's hard to get a really good look at them, as they're in the Lyr, but with reading glasses and a flashlight, I can see a "serial number" on one of them.  It's very faint, and if the other tube had a number, it's been wiped clean.  The other printing is identical on both.  The one with the "serial number" reads:

EDISWAN
VALVE
6BQ7A
 ​
MADE IN
ENGLAND
BVA
 ​
with the following printed in-between the above text, running top to bottom (read left to right):

SN[4 or 6 maybe]1239

I'm 99.9% certain the first two characters are SN, thus, "serial number."  I did have a close look before I rolled them, and IIRC, there are no other markings on the tubes.  I'll have another look when I roll the CV2492s, which should be soon, and if I spot anything else, I'll post it here.

Ah, interesting that Steve's end in 1239 as well.  TBH, the 1239 are the only characters in that code of which I'm 100% sure.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,354 of 23,494
  From my sleeve of 5 tubes, NOS/NIB, only 3 have discern-able characters. Piecing together what is visible on all three, 3A7 1239.

OK, this should be 3rd week of January 1967.

​
SN[4 or 6 maybe]1239

I'm 99.9% certain the first two characters are SN, thus, "serial number."

Or perhaps 5N? These can be very difficult to read indeed.

Ah, interesting that Steve's end in 1239 as well.  TBH, the 1239 are the only characters in that code of which I'm 100% sure.

It seems that 1239 identifies them as 6BQ7As.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #4,355 of 23,494
MY RATINGS:
      I am coming up on a year of owning the Lyr1. I have listened to 18 pairs of tubes and spent way to much money getting to this point. The good, I am perfectly happy with my top tubes. They have transformed the Lyr with stock 6BQ7A tubes, into a totally engaging, captivating experience. My phones are self modded Fostex T50RP's, voiced to sound like HE-500s. Bifrost Uber w/gen2USB, Lyr. Sources are Dell laptop, Winamp Pro, EAC rips and numerous HD Tracks 96/24 downloads, and a Denon DCD-1015 via "Straightwire" SilverLink. The USB cable also Straightwire USB-Link. RCA's between Bifrost/Lyr, Aural Thrills base model. 
      My mid-fi rated tubes include: "74" Matsu****a 6DJ8s; "80" EI/Seimens ECC88; Miniwatt PCC88; "66,74,75" 6N1P Rockets; 2008 Genelex Gold Lions E88CC Cryoset; Brimar 6BQ7A; early 70s 6N23P Reflektors, dimple getters; and some 70s RTC/Mullards E188CCs (big disappointment)
       After a lot of rolling and critical evaluation my favorite tubes:
        Tied for number "1"
1960, 7308, USA Amperex, D-Getters. Best detail and dynamics of any tube in my collection. Overall very neutral sounding for Amperex, but still a little warmth throughout the frequency spectrum. Totally engaging. Perfect instrument timbre. Perfect bass.
1962 Dario Miniwatts, Holland, E188CC's, large "O" getters. When I want that "warm tube sound", these babies deliver!! These tubes have excellent detail and dynamics just not as much as the 7308s. Female vocals, piano, acoustic bass, alto saxes, sound so lush and lovely with these tubes, very seductive mids.
         Tied for number "2"
1974,75 Reflektor SWGP Reflektors. I know Bob places the 75s as his HG's, his associated equipment and mine are so different, hard for me to choose between the two years. The 74s, in my mind, have a little better bass, 75s, more 3D, spatial. These tubes are very neutral, dynamic, detailed. Not quite as much as the 7308s above, but more so than the Minis. Reasonably priced when available, very rare in matched pairs, unique because of rarity.
          Number "3"
1966 Telefunken E88CC's, Upscale Platinum. These tubes are very neutral also, my first pair of really fine tubes. Airy top end, not as dynamic as the above mentioned tubes, flat frequency response, nice to listen to, not as engaging as the above.
          Number "4"
1958 Miniwatt ECC88, D-Getters. Very euphonic tubes, more so than the E188CC Minis above. Not as detailed as above, but still enjoyable, awesome big bass. Unfortunately one died after less than 20 hours, so somewhat limited time there. Beware some European sellers, had a hard time getting a refund, but in the end Paypal came through.
          Number "5"
1959 Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88. D-Getter. Bought these to replace the 58 Minis above. Strong NOS test#s, perfect printing. But they just don't sound as good as the Minis. Still lovely tubes, good detail, almost bright, but sound almost congested compared to the best tubes above.
          There you have it, I tend to have favorites based on my mood and sources. Hard for me to rank absolutely. Thanks to billerb1, RB2013, Thurston, Oskari, and others along the way. Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!  

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,356 of 23,494

Thanks guys for the info, this is really great stuff. Just in case the CAIG kit is out of reach or the Deoxit gold is not available, what would be the bare minimum treatment for the pins? I gather from your post its would be isopropyl alcohol and a good cleaning?

You can get the gold in a smaller cheaper package - probably a good investment for $8.40.  It makes getting the tubes in and out easier as well and if you're a dedicated tube roller may prolong the life of your sockets - whether they're NOVIB risers or the Lyr's.

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Liquid-squeeze-tube-solution/dp/B003D8EA7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420139897&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+gold

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,357 of 23,494
  Or perhaps 5N? These can be very difficult to read indeed.

Yes, it could be a 5.  It was tough to get a good look with my head turned sideways, and the Herbie's dampener slightly blocking.  That would make more sense, given what Steve sees, and that the Year is usually first.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,358 of 23,494
Like everyone else we all must start from scratch or from somewhere.

I have not yet purchased this item yet, the lyr 2.

I've got the Beryerdynamic DT770 250OHMS pair headphones.

Where is a good start for tubes on this amp for my headphones?

Source output is a asus xonar D1 >hp amp>DT770's 250OHMS.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4,359 of 23,494
  MY RATINGS:
      I am coming up on a year of owning the Lyr1. I have listened to 18 pairs of tubes and spent way to much money getting to this point. The good, I am perfectly happy with my top tubes. They have transformed the Lyr with stock 6BQ7A tubes, into a totally engaging, captivating experience. My phones are self modded Fostex T50RP's, voiced to sound like HE-500s. Bifrost Uber w/gen2USB, Lyr. Sources are Dell laptop, Winamp Pro, EAC rips and numerous HD Tracks 96/24 downloads, and a Denon DCD-1015 via "Straightwire" SilverLink. The USB cable also Straightwire USB-Link. RCA's between Bifrost/Lyr, Aural Thrills base model. 
      My mid-fi rated tubes include: "74" Matsu****a 6DJ8s; "80" EI/Seimens ECC88; Miniwatt PCC88; "66,74,75" 6N1P Rockets; 2008 Genelex Gold Lions E88CC Cryoset; Brimar 6BQ7A; early 70s 6N23P Reflektors, dimple getters; and some 70s RTC/Mullards E188CCs (big disappointment)
        Tied for number "1"
1960, 7308, USA Amperex, D-Getters. Best detail and dynamics of any tube in my collection. Overall very neutral sounding for Amperex, but still a little warmth throughout the frequency spectrum. Totally engaging. Perfect instrument timbre. Perfect bass.
1962 Dario Miniwatts, Holland, E188CC's, large "O" getters. When I want that "warm tube sound", these babies deliver!! These tubes have excellent detail and dynamics just not as much as the 7308s. Female vocals, piano, acoustic bass, alto saxes, sound so lush and lovely with these tubes, very seductive mids.
         Tied for number "2"
1974,75 Reflektor SWGP Reflektors. I know Bob places the 75s as his HG's, his associated equipment and mine are so different, hard for me to choose between the two years. The 74s, in my mind, have a little better bass, 75s, more 3D, spatial. These tubes are very neutral, dynamic, detailed. Not quite as much as the 7308s above, but more so than the Minis. Reasonably priced when available, very rare in matched pairs, unique because of rarity.
          Number "3"
1966 Telefunken E88CC's, Upscale Platinum. These tubes are very neutral also, my first pair of really fine tubes. Airy top end, not as dynamic as the above mentioned tubes, flat frequency response, nice to listen to, not as engaging as the above.
          Number "4"
1958 Miniwatt ECC88, D-Getters. Very euphonic tubes, more so than the E188CC Minis above. Not as detailed as above, but still enjoyable, awesome big bass. Unfortunately one died after less than 20 hours, so somewhat limited time there. Beware some European sellers, had a hard time getting a refund, but in the end Paypal came through.
          Number "5"
1959 Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88. D-Getter. Bought these to replace the 58 Minis above. Strong NOS test#s, perfect printing. But they just don't sound as good as the Minis. Still lovely tubes, good detail, almost bright, but sound almost congested compared to the best tubes above.
          There you have it, I tend to have favorites based on my mood and sources. Hard for me to rank absolutely. Thanks to billerb1, RB2013, Thurston, Oskari, and others along the way. Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!  

+1 Nice review!  I love tube shootouts!   Great to see my favorites at your #2 - ahead of the Upscale '60s Telefunkens at #3 (especially at $275/pr).  I rated those Tele's at a #2 tie with the '74 Reflektor 6N23P Silver Shield SWGP., behind the #1 HG Reflektor '75 Silver SWGPs. 

Whether #1, #2 or #3 - these are all wonderful tubes and I'm sure anyone would be pleased to listen to any of them.  All a major step up from stock.  You're right it does come down to personal taste and systems.

I've been busy - but look to start my tube shootout with the Philips E188Cc Herleens and the Valvo E88CC Herleens soon - they're almost fully burnt'in.

Cheers! and of course HNY!
beerchug.gif

PS Here is the link to my ranking and ratings including the Amperex PWs, PQs and BBs if anyone is interested.
Page 142 - post #2129 http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/2115
Page 149 - post #2229 http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/2220

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,360 of 23,494
  Like everyone else we all must start from scratch or from somewhere.

I have not yet purchased this item yet, the lyr 2.

I've got the Beryerdynamic DT770 250OHMS pair headphones.

Where is a good start for tubes on this amp for my headphones?

Source output is a asus xonar D1 >hp amp>DT770's 250OHMS.

What's your budget and musical/listening tastes - in other words what would you say is most important to you in SQ?

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,361 of 23,494

What's your budget and musical/listening tastes - in other words what would you say is most important to you in SQ?

Budget is around $500 flat after the amp purchase.

Luv the sounds of club dance. Rap and rock are second and third.

I looked into http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms and could not find SQ. Google brought up some weird stuff.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #4,362 of 23,494
  Budget is around $500 flat after the amp purchase.

Luv the sounds of club dance. Rap and rock are second and third.

I looked into http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms and could not find SQ. Google brought up some weird stuff.

So I guess that leaves around $50 for the tubes.

SQ is 'sound quality' - sounds like you'd be a fan of tight deep bass.  I'd recommend the '60s Teslas or the '74 Voskhod gray shields.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #4,363 of 23,494
  MY RATINGS:
        Tied for number "1"
         Tied for number "2"
          Number "3"
          Number "4"
          Number "5"

Nice write-up Steve.  As it turns out you and I tend to share roughly the same 'audio sweet spot'...and like a lot of the same music.  Been a pleasure helping add to your armada of primo tubes.
You are VERY well set up for the new year.  Now just lock your wallet away in a steel box or something so you don't do anything stupid.
Cheers !!!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,365 of 23,494
If someone is interested, some guy not far away from me is selling Phillips E88CC SQ, they are tested. Can get them for a really nice price, also Amperex Holland Made E88CC. He has a lot of tubes, so if anyone is really interested and would like me to talk to him or make an offer, just send me a message 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back