Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #4,336 of 23,494
  Just ordered a pair of Lorenz Sel PCC88 on ebay from a seller that used them in a lyr. Can't wait to try them out. First time tube rolling so im excited!

I gave those a try - not bad, not great.  Some folks in the old thread liked them though - so YMMV.  Generally the ECC88/E88CC version of most tubes are better then the PCC88 version.  Maybe a reason the prices of the PCC88s are so much cheaper.  

Do you have a Lyr or Lyr2?

The Lorenz's you want are the one's made in Stuttgart, Germany the E88CCs or of course the uber expensive CCa's .  Especially the triple mica version of the E88CC's.

PS here are some pictures of the Stuttgarts: You can tell by the 'Lorenz' in a circle stamp.

The Legendary triple mica E88CC Stuttgarts: The 'Lorenz' in a circle can be printed in brown

The very rare and expensive Lorenz Stuttgart CCa - one of the few tubes I've never heard (not spending $500/pr)

I did recently have a pr of these - the Lorenz Stuttgart fused plate E88CCs. Very, very nice - lush sounding.

These are all very rare now and were quite the rage on the old thread.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,337 of 23,494

beerchug.gif
 to that.  Just giving you a bit of stick.  My wife is also supportive, though she likes the big ol' JBLs in the 5.1 setup when the movies are rollin'.  And since I'm up in the Lab groovin' to Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971, she gets to listen to the Easy Listening channel on Music Choice 
rolleyes.gif
  About the only thing I can do to that music is... read 
wink.gif

I'm in mid-fi mode atm, but young Neil sounds great with the "Ediswan" 6BQ7As pushing his warbly voice into the Fidelio X2s.

Just got my Brimar 6BQ7A's a couple days ago, about 48hrs burn in. They were in a sleeve of 5, military surplus, NOS/NIB. I agree with mid-fi, but "upper" mid -fi. Really enjoying Christy Baron,  "Steppin", nice warm mids, good bass and nice treble detail. The boxes say "THORN-AEI RADIO VALVES AND TUBES LTD" I remember Oskari mentioning both Ediswan and Brimar as brands put on tubes by THORN-AEI. Could be the same tube, google Brimar 6BQ7A, The National Valve Museum in Britain has a photo of one looks exactly as mine. No production codes I can see except for a vertical line of #s very small print on the side of a couple of the tubes.   
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/161028250991?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,338 of 23,494

I gave those a try - not bad, not great.  Some folks in the old thread liked them though - so YMMV.  Generally the ECC88/E88CC version of most tubes are better then the PCC88 version.  Maybe a reason the prices of the PCC88s are so much cheaper.  

Do you have a Lyr or Lyr2?

The Lorenz's you want are the one's made in Stuttgart, Germany the E88CCs or of course the uber expensive CCa's .  Especially the triple mica version of the E88CC's.

PS here are some pictures of the Stuttgarts: You can tell by the 'Lorenz' in a circle stamp.

The Legendary triple mica E88CC Stuttgarts: The 'Lorenz' in a circle can be printed in brown

The very rare and expensive Lorenz Stuttgart CCa - one of the few tubes I've never heard (not spending $500/pr)

I did recently have a pr of these - the Lorenz Stuttgart fused plate E88CCs. Very, very nice - lush sounding.

These are all very rare now and were quite the rage on the old thread.

Thanks so much for the detailed info! I heard about the Lorenz from the old thread, I was doing quite a bit of reading there yesterday. My goal is to get an Amperex PQ white label, but I need to save money for a bifrost first.

I saw the lorenz on ebay being sold by someone that used them in his lyr and had 200 hours on them so it is the perfect opportunity to try them out. I have the lyr 2 by the way. Looks like the ones I purchased aren't Stuggarts. They should be here in a few days. 

Also the pins look a bit dirty from the pictures, or is that how they normally look? How would I go about cleaning them properly? Thanks.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,339 of 23,494
  Thanks so much for the detailed info! I heard about the Lorenz from the old thread, I was doing quite a bit of reading there yesterday. My goal is to get an Amperex PQ white label, but I need to save money for a bifrost first.

I saw the lorenz on ebay being sold by someone that used them in his lyr and had 200 hours on them so it is the perfect opportunity to try them out. I have the lyr 2 by the way. Looks like the ones I purchased aren't Stuggarts. They should be here in a few days. 

Also the pins look a bit dirty from the pictures, or is that how they normally look? How would I go about cleaning them properly? Thanks.

Those SELs should be gold plated - I can't remember on mine if they were.  Of course gold does not tarnish so - it maybe they weren't or it wore off.  Not a big deal - you can clean them with some alcohol.  Or as I do use DeoxIT D100 Power Booster - let them soak for a day or so.  Then clean them with a small brush and wipe off - apply DeoxIT Gold as a contact enhancer and protectant - it also acts as a lubricant so makes insertion and removal easier.

As a dedicated(insane) tube roller, I bought one of these:

CAIG SK-GXMD DeoxIT Gold Vacuum Tube Survival Kit

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-SK-GXMD-DeoxIT-Vacuum-Survival/dp/B007K8M9JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420045969&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+tube

Good luck!

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,340 of 23,494
rb2013, you seem to know your stuff. I'm looking for my first tube to roll in my Lyr 2. Most of the tubes in this thread seem to be out my budget, are there any good choices in the $30-$40 range for a matched pair?

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,341 of 23,494

I've got the CAIG kit Bob mentioned, and it's definitely worth it.  The soaker cups are pretty handy for the D25 (? the liquid that isn't the Gold).  Give non-gold-pinned tubes a 6-8 hour soak, then clean with a swab (I like the cosmetic swabs that have two different shapes on the end; you can really get in-between the pins with the pointy cone tip).  Once that runs out, and it will, even if you manage to get most of it back in the bottle, you can use the really strong isopropyl alcohol (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYNIDO) and swabs with wood shafts (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00841Z8JA).  I've been doing this for the past few months and it works great.  Sometimes they come back black, even from gold pins, sometimes the pins are clean.  It's worth doing regardless of how clean the pins look.

The alcohol on a swab is a great way to clean up dirty tube glass, too.  The three CV2492s I got recently were filthy.  Took a few swabs, but they look much better now.

Once you're happy with the cleaning of the pins, brush on the DeoxIT Gold, let it sit a few minutes (I usually give it 10-15), then use the lint-free squares in the kit to wipe off the excess.  Don't let the excess Gold sit on the pins, as I've ready stories about it clogging the receptacles in socket savers and sockets.  I've used this method on every pair I've put in my Lyr and never had a problem.  The only reason I haven't bought the kit again is because the isopropyl alcohol + wooden swabs works great, and the small bottle of Gold is still going strong.

CAIG doesn't offer too much detail on proper use, but common sense will serve you well.

HTH.

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,343 of 23,494
  rb2013, you seem to know your stuff. I'm looking for my first tube to roll in my Lyr 2. Most of the tubes in this thread seem to be out my budget, are there any good choices in the $30-$40 range for a matched pair?

Oh no you didn't - ThurstonX hate it when folks say that kinda stuff -LOL!  Just kidding Thurston
wink_face.gif

But seriously - for that kind of money you can get some nice Voskhods - maybe some '79 silver shields or '77 grays.  Other tubes to consider might be the Amperex OGs, and if you keep your eyes peeled some of the Philips SQ White Print E188CC Herleens - I bought a really nice pair for $58 on Ebay.

Happy Rolling!
darthsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4,344 of 23,494

I've got the CAIG kit Bob mentioned, and it's definitely worth it.  The soaker cups are pretty handy for the D25 (? the liquid that isn't the Gold).  Give non-gold-pinned tubes a 6-8 hour soak, then clean with a swab (I like the cosmetic swabs that have two different shapes on the end; you can really get in-between the pins with the pointy cone tip).  Once that runs out, and it will, even if you manage to get most of it back in the bottle, you can use the really strong isopropyl alcohol (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYNIDO) and swabs with wood shafts (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00841Z8JA).  I've been doing this for the past few months and it works great.  Sometimes they come back black, even from gold pins, sometimes the pins are clean.  It's worth doing regardless of how clean the pins look.

The alcohol on a swab is a great way to clean up dirty tube glass, too.  The three CV2492s I got recently were filthy.  Took a few swabs, but they look much better now.

Once you're happy with the cleaning of the pins, brush on the DeoxIT Gold, let it sit a few minutes (I usually give it 10-15), then use the lint-free squares in the kit to wipe off the excess.  Don't let the excess Gold sit on the pins, as I've ready stories about it clogging the receptacles in socket savers and sockets.  I've used this method on every pair I've put in my Lyr and never had a problem.  The only reason I haven't bought the kit again is because the isopropyl alcohol + wooden swabs works great, and the small bottle of Gold is still going strong.

CAIG doesn't offer too much detail on proper use, but common sense will serve you well.

HTH.

+1 I've used the Gold on lot's of stuff besides tube pins  - RCA interconnects (the outside of the female - never on the male), speaker connectors, etc...  I love this stuff.  Don;t confuse this is the more exotic Silver/Gold Xtreme coatings - that could create a short if not applied correctly.  It does give a short term - but noticeable jump in dynamics - but has to be reapplied.  I found it not worth the long term effort - but for the brave, courageous or just stupid here is the link.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-xtremeav-s-liquidation-sale-quicksilver-gold-2-5gr-contact-enhancer-free-shipping-2014-12-29-accessories-92629-monarch-bay-ca

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,345 of 23,494

Those SELs should be gold plated - I can't remember on mine if they were.  Of course gold does not tarnish so - it maybe they weren't or it wore off.  Not a big deal - you can clean them with some alcohol.  Or as I do use DeoxIT D100 Power Booster - let them soak for a day or so.  Then clean them with a small brush and wipe off - apply DeoxIT Gold as a contact enhancer and protectant - it also acts as a lubricant so makes insertion and removal easier.

As a dedicated(insane) tube roller, I bought one of these:

CAIG SK-GXMD DeoxIT Gold Vacuum Tube Survival Kit

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-SK-GXMD-DeoxIT-Vacuum-Survival/dp/B007K8M9JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420045969&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+tube

Good luck!

HTH.

Thanks for the info both of you. I'll definitely pick up that set. For now I'll just try alcohol when the tubes come in and I'll use the kit once it comes in the mail.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4,346 of 23,494

Thanks for the info both of you. I'll definitely pick up that set. For now I'll just try alcohol when the tubes come in and I'll use the kit once it comes in the mail.

Sure thing.  I referenced the wooden swabs, as you need to apply a fair amount of pressure to effect the scrubbing (liberal use of the isopropyl alcohol is a good thing), and standard Q-Tips aren't strong enough.  Mind, you don't want to press so hard you bend the pins, and that isn't required to remove any buildup... unless of course you're trying to straighten pins.  That's certainly possible, if they're bent (usually inward) to the point that they don't want to slot into the socket easily.  But I've only had 3 or 4 pairs where that was needed.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,347 of 23,494

Do they match the format described here?

1. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/brimarcodes.html

Teeny tiny vertical #s, yeah, format, but the 6BQ7A is not referenced in that post??, I will look closely at the #s with my 20X loupe and report back. My PCC88 with the mystery 7G/B36 code, alleged British, also still a mystery. I am going to contact the National Valve Museum in Britain that has an identical looking tube under the "Brimar 6BQ7A" google search for any info they may have. Thanks, me

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,349 of 23,494

HTH.

+1 I've used the Gold on lot's of stuff besides tube pins  - RCA interconnects (the outside of the female - never on the male), speaker connectors, etc...  I love this stuff.  Don;t confuse this is the more exotic Silver/Gold Xtreme coatings - that could create a short if not applied correctly.  It does give a short term - but noticeable jump in dynamics - but has to be reapplied.  I found it not worth the long term effort - but for the brave, courageous or just stupid here is the link.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-xtremeav-s-liquidation-sale-quicksilver-gold-2-5gr-contact-enhancer-free-shipping-2014-12-29-accessories-92629-monarch-bay-ca

Thanks guys for the info, this is really great stuff. Just in case the CAIG kit is out of reach or the Deoxit gold is not available, what would be the bare minimum treatment for the pins? I gather from your post its would be isopropyl alcohol and a good cleaning?

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,350 of 23,494
  Thanks guys for the info, this is really great stuff. Just in case the CAIG kit is out of reach or the Deoxit gold is not available, what would be the bare minimum treatment for the pins? I gather from your post its would be isopropyl alcohol and a good cleaning?

By "out of reach," I assume you mean the cost.  The two DeoxIT solutions in the kit are, AFAIK, unique to the kit.  The Gold version was specially developed for high temp applications.  The Gold and the "red" solutions weren't sold separately the last time I checked.  That's why I switched to isopropyl alcohol.  So they make the kit worth it, if you can swing it, and as noted, the Gold will last quite a while, and can be used on other connection points.

But yeah, a good scrubbing with the isopropyl will help a lot.  It's a good starting point, and for many, it may be enough.  If that's the only thing you do, you may want to repeat it more often (not that often), as DeoxIT also protects against oxidation, if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back