Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,916 of 23,493
I think you worry too much. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,921 of 23,493
Hey everyone, was just wondering if I should get the gold or platinum Telefunken 6922's from Upscale? I hear that the platinum grade tubes aren't fully matched like on tube would be tighter than the other or something along those lines? My beautiful 74' SWGP russian tubes are starting to create microphonics and weird loud noises when the amp is turned on for a day or so and I think they're dying...? I have no idea. Cheers

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3,922 of 23,493
  Hey everyone, was just wondering if I should get the gold or platinum Telefunken 6922's from Upscale? I hear that the platinum grade tubes aren't fully matched like on tube would be tighter than the other or something along those lines? My beautiful 74' SWGP russian tubes are starting to create microphonics and weird loud noises when the amp is turned on for a day or so and I think they're dying...? I have no idea. Cheers

Sorry to hear about your  Ruskys, have you rolled another set of tubes to verify its the Ruskys creating the problem? As regards the Teles, I have both a gold pair and a platinum pair, for me, hard to tell a difference in sound. The issue with Upscale is them actually sending either grade sets that actually meet their stated specs for same. My gold pair came a few % less than stated gold spec, (20% or less), mine were 23, 25%. Others on this forum ordered platinum and one was platinum grade, the other gold grade, which Upscale grudgingly replaced. When I complained to Kevin regarding my less than gold set, his reply was "close enough". On the other hand my platinum set tested 2,3%, which is fabulous. A lot of inconsistency here. The sad but good bottom line is, his stock of these tubes is enormous, actually NIB/NOS, best prices on the internet, but inconsistent order fulfillment, and a snarky attitude when confronted with inconsistencies. BTW I have a spare pair of either 74 or 75HG Reflektors available for a reasonable price.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,924 of 23,493
  Can someone help me ID two tubes?

I want to buy em, figured I'd ask here if they are good.  They are amperex orange globes with dimpled disc getters.

Here's the codes:

It depends upon how they are being used, the circuit, and are they NOS, slightly used, which doesn't hurt and how they have been tested, and whether you like the sound. oh and price. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,926 of 23,493

I have nearly the same experience as Satwilson. I have Tele's in gold and platinum. Put them in my tester and the plat are very close, the gold way off. The Plat are very, very microphonic, which I don't mind as to me, it adds a little life to the music and often life is microphonic. :^)  The gold find. I just listen to the platinum. Kevin acts like an xss much of the time and I wish his business would take a decline so he would think about his actions but having known him for many years, not much chance of that. His stated values are often wrong and he is snarky, like a spoiled kid. Anyway, he does have quite a selection, oh and one of the tubes I got I know was used but didn't feel like fighting about it. 

Do I like the sound of the Tele's, Yes. I have other telefunken tubes in smooth plate 12AX7 and 12AU7 for other applications but the E88CC produces a sound I prefer. I have around 200 NOS 6DJ8 types to choose from and use the Tele's and some 7308 I just realized I had most all the time. I also just implemented my balanced power supply, with a 50 pound toroidal special transformer built for this purpose.

The use of my balanced supply opens up the Lyr 2 even more but I just about get a hernia moving the supply. lol 

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #3,927 of 23,493
  Sorry to hear about your  Ruskys, have you rolled another set of tubes to verify its the Ruskys creating the problem? As regards the Teles, I have both a gold pair and a platinum pair, for me, hard to tell a difference in sound. The issue with Upscale is them actually sending either grade sets that actually meet their stated specs for same. My gold pair came a few % less than stated gold spec, (20% or less), mine were 23, 25%. Others on this forum ordered platinum and one was platinum grade, the other gold grade, which Upscale grudgingly replaced. When I complained to Kevin regarding my less than gold set, his reply was "close enough". On the other hand my platinum set tested 2,3%, which is fabulous. A lot of inconsistency here. The sad but good bottom line is, his stock of these tubes is enormous, actually NIB/NOS, best prices on the internet, but inconsistent order fulfillment, and a snarky attitude when confronted with inconsistencies. BTW I have a spare pair of either 74 or 75HG Reflektors available for a reasonable price.

Yeah its a sad time haha. I rolled the stock Lyr tubes and they didnt make any noise at all so it must be the russian tubes. It sucks that Kevin from Upscale is pretty cocky about his tubes and therefore, shows attitude about his loyal customers. He does have the best prices on the web right now but I think due to the large quantity of telefunkens hes pretty cocky about it. Do you think I should just go for the golds? I wont hair any difference and the tubes will probably last as long as each other so theres not much point for that extra dosh. 

Ooooh, are those reflektors the ones Bob or RB2013 sold you? I forgot which one mine are, I think they're the 74's? And are the 75s the ones Bob calls the holy grail russian tubes? What are your prices?

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3,929 of 23,493
  I have nearly the same experience as Satwilson. I have Tele's in gold and platinum. Put them in my tester and the plat are very close, the gold way off. The Plat are very, very microphonic, which I don't mind as to me, it adds a little life to the music and often life is microphonic. :^)  The gold find. I just listen to the platinum. Kevin acts like an xss much of the time and I wish his business would take a decline so he would think about his actions but having known him for many years, not much chance of that. His stated values are often wrong and he is snarky, like a spoiled kid. Anyway, he does have quite a selection, oh and one of the tubes I got I know was used but didn't feel like fighting about it. 

Do I like the sound of the Tele's, Yes. I have other telefunken tubes in smooth plate 12AX7 and 12AU7 for other applications but the E88CC produces a sound I prefer. I have around 200 NOS 6DJ8 types to choose from and use the Tele's and some 7308 I just realized I had most all the time. I also just implemented my balanced power supply, with a 50 pound toroidal special transformer built for this purpose.

The use of my balanced supply opens up the Lyr 2 even more but I just about get a hernia moving the supply. lol 

Ah yeah, I have no idea which to go for. I don't have a tube tester so I have no idea at all if the tubes have been previously used or if they're off in tightness. It sucks because I can't really trust Upscale due to Kevin with his snarky attitude. I may get a really tight pair or a pair thats completely off and I wont know ahh. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3,930 of 23,493
  Can someone help me ID two tubes?

I want to buy em, figured I'd ask here if they are good.  They are amperex orange globes with dimpled disc getters.

Here's the codes:

I just bought a pair of these tubes from the same seller a few days ago. They're shipping from the US to Aus as we speak so it may be a while before I can give you any impressions. It was my first tube purchase but the Joes tube lore page identifies them as Orange Globes which have a Warm, vibrant, lively, grainless, transparent Amperex sound. The codes indicate they were manufactured on the 3rd Week of November 1969 in Holland. Don't quote me though, I'm new to this and I am probably completely wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back