Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,901 of 23,494
  Could be anything… 
wink.gif

And yet they are something quite specific
wink.gif
  I didn't bother taking photos of the Siemens printing and factory codes, but they are visible.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,903 of 23,494

Thanks for the recommendation! You mean these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-MATCH-PAIR-D-GTR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A31K-/321573574304?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4adf4756a0

Damn, they are significantly more expensive than the '60s O-getters! Worth it? And how does the bass and euphony of the Bugle Boys compare to the Orange Globes? 

I have a pair of the 59 BB's, same ones in the link, got em from MercMan. I also own the 74/75Refs. Like you I sometimes want the smoother, more forward midrange Amperex sound, and the BB's certainly deliver. They are also well detailed in the treble. One of mine is slightly microphonic, only when tapping it, so not a problem. Yes, the 50s D getters fetch a premium price, up to you to decide the "worth it" factor. Another tube to consider would be the Miniwatt E188CC's, no savings on these either!! More of that lush midrange than the BB's, still great treble detail, slightly more bass. I haven't heard the 60s O getter BB's so I can't compare. For me, the Miniwatts are my faves for this sound signature.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,904 of 23,494
  I have a pair of the 59 BB's, same ones in the link, got em from MercMan. I also own the 74/75Refs. Like you I sometimes want the smoother, more forward midrange Amperex sound, and the BB's certainly deliver. They are also well detailed in the treble. One of mine is slightly microphonic, only when tapping it, so not a problem. Yes, the 50s D getters fetch a premium price, up to you to decide the "worth it" factor. Another tube to consider would be the Miniwatt E188CC's, no savings on these either!! More of that lush midrange than the BB's, still great treble detail, slightly more bass. I haven't heard the 60s O getter BB's so I can't compare. For me, the Miniwatts are my faves for this sound signature.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, those are very useful! Darn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend more than $100 to get that euphonic sound signature. It looks like you really can't have it all...

Do you also own the Orange Globes? Any thoughts on how they compare to the BBs and Miniwatts?

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3,905 of 23,494

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, those are very useful! Darn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend more than $100 to get that euphonic sound signature. It looks like you really can't have it all...

Do you also own the Orange Globes? Any thoughts on how they compare to the BBs and Miniwatts?

I don't, but Thurston commented he has both and prefers the BB's. But first off keep in mind, these are all subjective comments, YMMV, I have spent close to 2K on my tube "collection". You may get lucky, but this is a most subjective endeavor. Anyone who declares, "the best", is most only for themselves. Your ears, headphones, DAC, amp, and $ spent, your NIRVANA.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,906 of 23,494

I don't, but Thurston commented he has both and prefers the BB's. But first off keep in mind, these are all subjective comments, YMMV, I have spent close to 2K on my tube "collection". You may get lucky, but this is a most subjective endeavor. Anyone who declares, "the best", is most only for themselves. Your ears, headphones, DAC, amp, and $ spent, your NIRVANA.

Yes, subjective is the key word.  That should be a given about almost any post on Head-Fi, unless one is talking about specific electrical properties, and the value of those assumes one can interpret them correctly for their particular situation.

That said, I do prefer the late 50s/early 60s BBs to my 1967 OGs, but that's not to say the OGs are bad tubes.  FWIW, I'm enjoying the 1966 Siemens ECC85s that finally cleared Argentinian Customs after all these decades 
wink.gif

I don't want to do an even rough estimate of what I've invested in the Glass Menagerie (1960s French-made E188CCs should be here today or tomorrow! :wink:, but I enjoy rolling and seeing what works with what.  That's not an option or desire for everyone, of course, and I understand when people ask for specific recommendations.  Said people need to understand that that is a very difficult thing to do with tubes, and maybe more so with a hybrid amp.  That said, it can be very easy to tell when one type is inferior.  I'm thinking of those Russian tubes a few of us were hot to try recently (6N5Ps, I think they were).  With good tubes the differences can be subtle, and unless you enjoy nitpicking, and can invest in them, that pursuit may be rather fruitless in the end.

It runs Cans > Amp > DAC > Source (e.g., CD vs. mp3) > Tubes/Cables for me.

I will say I'm mightily impressed with the Herbie's I got recently.  In terms of tweaks and aids, they rank up there with the more expensive Tubemonger socket savers.  Rescued at least two pairs I thought would get less time, given their inherent noise.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,908 of 23,494
After living with a pair of 73' Vokshod grey shields for a few months (my first rolled tubes) I've decided there sound is not for me with the Lyr and HE500s.  I'd like to try out some Amperex's without spending an arm and a leg.  Can anyone tell me if there were any major changes to the Orange Globes over the years?  Are the 70s ones from Holland essentially the same as the 60s ones that are mentioned on Joes Tube Lore?  AudioTubes.com has "70s Orange World Logo" for quite a bit less than what the 60s OGs are going for on ebay.  Would these be a good tube to get my feet wet in the Amperex sound?  Are most people finding that they prefer the BBs over these in the Lyr?

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3,909 of 23,494
After living with a pair of 74' Vokshod grey shields for a few months (my first rolled tubes) I've decided there sound is not for me with the Lyr and HE500s.  I'd like to try out some Amperex's without spending an arm and a leg.  Can anyone tell me if there were any major changes to the Orange Globes over the years?  Are the 70s ones from Holland essentially the same as the 60s ones that are mentioned on Joes Tube Lore?  AudioTubes.com has "70s Orange World Logo" for quite a bit less than what the 60s OGs are going for on ebay.  Would these be a good tube to get my feet wet in the Amperex sound?  Are most people finding that they prefer the BBs over these in the Lyr?

How much do you want to spend ?

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,911 of 23,494
Ideally around $60 for a matched pair but I would go up to the $100 range if there was really better value in that range.

Im looking at:
70s Orange globes for roughly $50
White label BBs for roughly $60
or splurge on white label USA PQs for about double the other two at $120

PM sent.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,913 of 23,494
I look at the prices people are willing to spend on Amperex tubes here in amasement, both E88CC and ECC88s, why not buy Mullards (or others) from the same factories? They often cost pennies in comparison and many prefer the much cheaper ECC88s anyway (6DJ8 in American). From someone who has both.....

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,914 of 23,494
The Orange Globes can be "O Getter" (good) or "A Frame" (perhaps not as good). The A Frame were made in the 70's and tend to sell for a bit cheaper. They are very good tubes - not as accurate as the "O Getter", but very fast, dynamic, thick and fun!

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,915 of 23,494
Hey guys, I want to ask your opinion on something real quick. Is it safe to ship tubes in the winter? My tubes are getting old and I need to order a new pair and it's getting cold out now (10°F) What kind of effect do you think this will have on shipping? Being cold and brittle, potentially tossed around, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Let me know what you think please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back