Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,466 of 23,494

As the Lyr is a hybrid, I am quite sure the volume control is located after the tubes, just before the SS stage. That is, the tubes are always running flat out, regardless of the volume control, so the level doesn't really matter. It is best to feed the tubes a full-spectrum signal to "exercise" them properly. I also recommend burning them in with in a very cheap set of IEM's on the chance the tubes might arc and short out, although damage to the  headphones is very unlikely, given the Lyr's protection circuits.

Further, I always unplugging the headphones before turning the amp off, and only reinsert the plug a minute of so after the amp is turned on to give the tubes a chance to stabilize. This is likely overkill, given the Lyr's protection circuitry, but still, a very good habit to develop when using tube-based equipment.

a lesson learned from my hi-fi days, i'm turn the amp on first, and turn it off last

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,467 of 23,494
How do people here go about burning in their tubes? Can you just feed an analog signal into the Lyr, or must a headphone be plugged into the headphone out jack as well? Also, does the volume level matter?
I use a spare pair of cheaper headphones for burnin. The vol level I use is around 1/4. They don't have to be run at normal vol levels (unlike when burning in headphones).

Cheers!

:beerchug:

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #3,468 of 23,494
:sob:a sad day in Kentucky, one of my dear Bob Special Voskhod '75's succumbed today after a brief and unexpected illness. The dearly departed Left Channel, suffered a tragic loss of vacuum, Right Channel, grieving mightily has requested in lieu of flowers, that a single matching tube be located.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,469 of 23,494
Oh dear, a sad day indeed!

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #3,470 of 23,494
my telefunken ecc189's got here yesterday, sounding very nice thus far
as mattTCG is selling his lyr 2, I bought his '71 rockets gray plates off him, they should be here soon

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #3,471 of 23,494
:sob:a sad day in Kentucky, one of my dear Bob Special Voskhod '75's succumbed today after a brief and unexpected illness. The dearly departed Left Channel, suffered a tragic loss of vacuum, Right Channel, grieving mightily has requested in lieu of flowers, that a single matching tube be located.
These6n23p's have been very hardy for me, haven't a single failure yet (knock on very thick wood), and I've been running them 24/7 in my main amps for months.

But no worries my friend - PM me and I'll take care of you. A man should not be without his VR '75s

:wink:

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3,472 of 23,494
These 6n23p's have been very hardy for me, haven't a single failure yet (knock on very thick wood), and I've been running them 24/7 in my main amps for months.

But no worries my friend - PM me and I'll take care of you. A man should not be without his VR '75s

wink.gif

Bob, you're an absolute mensch!

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #3,474 of 23,494
Just bought a pair of pair of '74 Reflektor Silver Shields (Bob's #2) from Bob and spent a good part of my evening comparing them against the '74 Voskhod Rocket Gray Shields that I got from him before. I was very actually skeptical and expected not to pick up significant differences. This was the case on my first casual listen the night before: I put the Reflektors in, listened for about 15 minutes, and everything sounded pretty good. Great, I thought, the VRs should get creamed! I pop in the VRs and give them a listen, and everything sounded good too! I knew I had to listen more critically before jumping to conclusions, so this time I listened to one or two songs at a go before swapping tubes and listening to the same segments of these songs again.

Overall, I noticed that the Reflektors had greater resolution. They were able to pick out and/or highlight some mid/treble details that were not apparently on the VRs. I noticed this on Eric Claption's Running on Faith, and on Toto's Rosanna. The VRs definitely have more bass impact and rumble, but that comes at the expense of some clarity and tonal balance. The greatest strength of the Reflektors, IMO, is how the mid range is forward and lush without compromising soundstage or details. When listening to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, I was surprised by how the lead guitar sounded thicker and more "filled in" as compared to the VRs, while still retaining the same soundstage width and treble (cymbal) details as on the VRs. This made listening to the Reflektors way more engaging, and definitely help make up for the otherwise dry-ish mids of my HE-560. Is this perhaps the fabled "tube sound" that I've heard all about?

Big ups to Bob (a.k.a. rb2013) for hooking me up with these wonderful tubes!

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #3,475 of 23,494
Hello rollers :)

Could anyone please recommend me some good affordable tubes for Audeze LCD2.2 ? (up to 100$)

Edit: What about these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lorenz-SEL-PCC88-Pair-/221574538154?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3396df23aa ? I remember these worked well with HD650 and there was lot talk about these in old thread.

Also would be great if anybody knew where to get these 

tube dampers :)

Also I did notice some tubes has "A-Frame" is this superior to the "O-Frame" in terms of acoustics ?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #3,476 of 23,494
^i bought the tube dampers and feet (kinda hard to see in that pic) at herbies audio lab

Also wanted to add in the old thread we were after Lorenz from Stuttgart Germany, the SEL were made later on and labeled Lorenz but from another factory, and overall were just ok compared to the Stuttgart made

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #3,477 of 23,494
Just bought a pair of pair of '74 Reflektor Silver Shields (Bob's #2) from Bob and spent a good part of my evening comparing them against the '74 Voskhod Rocket Gray Shields that I got from him before. I was very actually skeptical and expected not to pick up significant differences. This was the case on my first casual listen the night before: I put the Reflektors in, listened for about 15 minutes, and everything sounded pretty good. Great, I thought, the VRs should get creamed! I pop in the VRs and give them a listen, and everything sounded good too! I knew I had to listen more critically before jumping to conclusions, so this time I listened to one or two songs at a go before swapping tubes and listening to the same segments of these songs again.

Overall, I noticed that the Reflektors had greater resolution. They were able to pick out and/or highlight some mid/treble details that were not apparently on the VRs. I noticed this on Eric Claption's Running on Faith, and on Toto's Rosanna. The VRs definitely have more bass impact and rumble, but that comes at the expense of some clarity and tonal balance. The greatest strength of the Reflektors, IMO, is how the mid range is forward and lush without compromising soundstage or details. When listening to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, I was surprised by how the lead guitar sounded thicker and more "filled in" as compared to the VRs, while still retaining the same soundstage width and treble (cymbal) details as on the VRs. This made listening to the Reflektors way more engaging, and definitely help make up for the otherwise dry-ish mids of my HE-560. Is this perhaps the fabled "tube sound" that I've heard all about?

Big ups to Bob (a.k.a. rb2013) for hooking me up with these wonderful tubes!

Your take is very close to what I'm hearing with these #2 '74 Reflektor Silver SWGP. They will fill out as they burnin, the bass will deepen and tighten, and best of all that 'flow' factor will increase.

The '75 'Holy Grail' Reflektor Silver SWGP add even more bass and have a greater amount of detail and 'flow'. To the point of being almost hypnotic.

When I discovered these amazing overlooked Russian tubes over a yr ago, I decided to post my impressions here in this forum. I wanted to see if other folks with different systems, ears and tastes would get as bowled over by these as I was. Long story short, the initial skepticism was tremendous, especially when I posted my long review of these. I began to share some of the '80 Silver Voskhods, then the '79 Silvers, and folks liked them. Sharing their impressions here helped 'turn the tide' for the 6n23p vintage '70s. So I say thank you for taking the time to post here your impressions.

To me overcoming that huge initial skepticism has doubly confirmed how awesome these tubes are. Not like they were riding on legend.

For anyone wanting to read that inital review, it's up on the old Lyr tube rolling thread pg 574, post #8606.
And my subsequent posts on the HGs on this thread pg 128, posts 1914-1918.

Cheers!

:beerchug:

Edit typos

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #3,478 of 23,494
Your take is very close to what I'm hearing with these #2 '74 Reflektor Silver SWGP. They will fill out as they burnin, the bass will deepen and tighten, and best of all that 'flow' factor will increase.

The '75 'Holy Grail' Reflektor Silver SWGP add even more bass and have a greater amount of detail and 'flow'. To the point of being almost hypnotic.

When I discovered these amazing overlooked Russian tubes over a yr ago, I decided to post my impressions here in this forum. I wanted to see if other folks with different systems, ears and tastes would get as bowled over by these as I was. Long story short, the initial skepticism was tremendous, especially when I posted my long review of these. I began to share some of the '80 Silver Voskhods, then the '79 Silvers, and folks liked them. Sharing their impressions here helped 'turn the tide' for the 6n23p vintage '70s. So I say thank you for taking the time to post here your impressions.

To me overcoming that huge initial skepticism has doubly confirmed how awesome these tubes are. Not like they were riding on legend.

For anyone wanting to read that inital review, it's up on the old Lyr tube rolling thread pg 574, post #8606.
And my subsequent posts on the HGs on this thread pg 128, posts 1914-1918.

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

Edit typos

Wow, great to hear that our impressions match up! These are indeed impressive tubes. The only thing I wish they did a little better was in the bass department. I was getting used to the bass impact from the '74 VR Gray Shields, so I'm getting used to the lighter, more balanced bass on the '74 Reflektor SWGP. Based on what you've said about the HGs, it looks like it would be the perfect tube for me. If only they weren't so hard to find (and expensive)...

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,479 of 23,494
Wow, great to hear that our impressions match up! These are indeed impressive tubes. The only thing I wish they did a little better was in the bass department. I was getting used to the bass impact from the '74 VR Gray Shields, so I'm getting used to the lighter, more balanced bass on the '74 Reflektor SWGP. Based on what you've said about the HGs, it looks like it would be the perfect tube for me. If only they weren't so hard to find (and expensive)...
You are spot on...the Voskhods generally have greater bass. The SWGP Reflektors have very defined bass. The king of the Voskhod hill is the '75 gray shield, amazing bass with the greatest 'flow', detail and musicality of the VR '70s 6n23p lineup.

Why I'm so keen on the HG '75s they have the combination of the best of each, and then some. A match for the '75 VR in the bass, but maybe a touch better defined. Then the extrodinary amount of detail and just a river of 'flow'. But they're extrodinarily rare and they are expensive, but not more expensive the the very good Tele E88CC's. And 1/2 the price of the Seimens CCas and Amperex 6923 pinched waists. And these of course of are awesome legensary tubes, and I've had them (lots of CCas). To me the HGs are better, but at this rarefied attitude, some folks may prefer the others. TheAmperex PWs in particular are very sweet and euphonic. I compared in my review on page 142 post #2129 and page 149 post #2229.

FYI for folks new to the thread SWGP stands for single wire getter post. These were a very rare version of the Reflektor 6n23p. Not the very common dual dimpled flat plate getter post versions.

Enjoy :D

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3,480 of 23,494

I still have a spare pair of 75 SWGP Reflektor HG's available, PM me for details if interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back