Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,551 of 23,494
Does anyone know how to A/B test tubes? (well actually this is a really stupid question.) It's not like with headphones where you just plug them in. You have to cool/reheat for 5 minutes and plug those damn hot things out. Unless you get 2 LYR's :p

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,552 of 23,494
  Does anyone know the performance difference between a Telefunken E88CC/6922 NOS sold from upscale audio and the new Telefunken black diamond E88CC/6922 TK sold on Telefunken's website?  The price difference is about $60 and the I'm not sure which one to buy.  I already have rolled Amperex 7308 gold pin and Matsu****a National PCC88 for my Lyr2 w HE500 which both have been much better than the stock tubes. 

Hmm, a new production Tele?

It is a rebranded JJ according to Telefunken's website. I wasn't too fond of the included JJ's that came with the Lyr. They were kind of thin and sterile sounding to me.

What is the difference between Black Diamond Series vacuum tubes and the JJ-branded tubes?
The TELEFUNKEN Black Diamond Series tubes are built in the JJ Electronic Factory in Eastern Europe based on their existing models. The Black Diamond Series tubes go through an extensive multi-tier testing and quality control process, as well as a cryogenic treatment in the USA to ensure they are the best representation of European made tubes. Each vacuum tube is burned in for 24 hours, tested for all critical parameters, cryogenically treated, and tested a final time. TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik guarantees this by branding them with the legendary diamond logo.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,554 of 23,494

Thx Blueshound24!  If it sounds like the stock tubes from the Lyr then I'll pass.  

Unless JJ's sig has departed significantly from the original Lyr tubes...
confused.gif

However there is 30 day money back returns, maybe somebody wants to take one for the team...
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,555 of 23,494
   I have some live classical recordings that I engineered that I use in my comparisons and the sense of what I heard live is captured with the Lyr and and now Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes. As the HD700's are super-aural with angled drivers as the Stax Lambda's I have previously owned, they have the ability to project an image in front of the head with high quality spatially recorded performances. The Lyr allows this to come through where it was largely absent in the Asgard.  I have one particular recording of a solo classical guitar that was done with a coincident pair of Schoeps mics (Blumlein technique) 
This recording method is great for capturing a "concert audience" perspective as it picks up all the room cues in proper time and level. While not as spatially accurate as a binaural method it works well for both stereo speaker and headphone use. This recoding took place in a great room that also was set up to play it back and thus we were able to perform the veritable "is it live or..." evaluations. The Lyr with proper tubes gets over the bar in recovering this detail that gets me immersed into the actual performance and not simply listening to the equipment reproduce the recording. On this basis I fine the Lyr+ to have a performance/value position right above the knee of the curve. Hope this helps. 

Love this review.  I am a relative newbie on Headfi, been a lurker for a few years, but my main passion is recording live music for the last 15 years or so...collecting longer (since 79).  While I don't record classical music (I have a great respect for it tho) the same premise holds up for other music styles. I have been doing my research before buying and I keep coming back to schiit.  I see a serious pile in my future.  The Blumlein technique is real nice for stage mixes when available.  I find myself mostly recording PA systems (which vary wildly between bands) but that same sense of space is needed weather your recording on stage or 50ft from the stage.  The further back I go the tighter my patterns get on my mics. Thanks for the review.

OOK 

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #2,556 of 23,494
I've enjoyed rolling with the Lyr for a while now. It paired very well with the HD 700. The fact is I haven't used it in quite some time for many reasons. The major one is my HD 700 has gotten very little use since the HD 800 purchase and the Lyr doesn't pair very well with it. That being the case, if anyone needs a Lyr, I'm selling mine in hopes that it goes to a good home that will give it the love it deserves.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,557 of 23,494
Hey folks, I came across this post on a for sale forum

"I HAVE A 11X33 STORAGE IN XXXXXXXXXX FULL TO THE CEILING WITH VACUUM TUBES (20,000+), ANTIQUE RADIOS, HAM RADIOS,TEST EQUIPMENT, VINTAGE HI-FI AUDIO, ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE CAMERA EQUIPMENT, HIGH END SPEAKERS, RADIO PARTS, AND MORE. I WAS COLLECTING & SAVING THIS GEAR TO ONE DAY HAVE A GIANT EBAY SALE AND RETIRE. I NOW NEED TO LIQUIDATE ASAP AND DO NOT HAVE TIME TO SELL ON EBAY MYSELF. I AM SELLING PIECE BY PIECE FOR 40% OF WHAT YOU WOULD PAY ON EBAY. YOU CAN BUY FROM ME AND THE SAME DAY TURN AROUND AND SELL ON EBAY AND AFTER EBAY FEES, PAYPAL FEES AND PACKING SUPPLIES YOU WILL DOUBLE YOUR MONEY!THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND BUY MORE! THERE ARE OVER $150,000"

Sounds too good to be true, but how would I know if I came across a gem?  should I do an ebay search or is there some kind of catalog where I can quickly reference the tubes for their sonic and monetary value?

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,558 of 23,494
  So I got the RIGHT Telefunken Tubes this time from a local dealer (E88CC, 6922, NOS) -- Pretty expensive at that too for tubes, but matched. Is it a problem that I can't hear the difference between the Telefunken 6922 and the stock GE? Using a 2014 LCD-2.2 Fazor.. Getting in some cheaper tubes soon also...

Don't get me wrong -- it sounds awesome, but I don't think it's worth $250?

You replied to my ad selling my "Gold" Teles. You complained about a "humming" sound, I gave you some advice, then never heard back from you??? You asked for a link to the "tube rolling thread", guess you found it. Did your humming go away? What Tele tubes did you buy from who? You could have bought my Teles for $150, not $250, and the Upscale Teles DO sound better than the stock tubes. Just wondering??? satwilson

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,559 of 23,494
  You replied to my ad selling my "Gold" Teles. You complained about a "humming" sound, I gave you some advice, then never heard back from you??? You asked for a link to the "tube rolling thread", guess you found it. Did your humming go away? What Tele tubes did you buy from who? You could have bought my Teles for $150, not $250, and the Upscale Teles DO sound better than the stock tubes. Just wondering??? satwilson

@satwilson Sorry!! I'm bombarded with PM's and was looking for a NOS matched pair -- The humming sound went away! I bought the Telefunken's from a local audio/electronics shop, but probably should've have demoed them before I bought them. Now with *burn in* they do sound better than the GE (duh). But again, tube rolling is hard to A/B because it takes like 5-10 minutes to swap and warm up tubes... 

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,560 of 23,494
  @satwilson Sorry!! I'm bombarded with PM's and was looking for a NOS matched pair -- The humming sound went away! I bought the Telefunken's from a local audio/electronics shop, but probably should've have demoed them before I bought them. Now with *burn in* they do sound better than the GE (duh). But again, tube rolling is hard to A/B because it takes like 5-10 minutes to swap and warm up tubes... 

That's a good lesson for those new to rolling: let the tubes burn in before judging them.  While differences in tubes can be subtle, and really require focusing on specific aspects of the overall presentation repeatedly... read: not exactly enjoying the music for the music... if one can't hear differences between the GEs and Telefunken E88CCs, there's really no point in this hobby or thread.  Just sayin'.

On another note, my wife finally got the point of having so many pairs of tubes.  She put on a necklace yesterday (one of the few pieces with which I could surprise her; I leave that shopping to her), and then commented that I must think she's crazy the way she's always changing bracelets and necklaces.  I told her I love to switch my gems around, too.  "What gems?"  "My tubes."  "Ohhhhh....." she said with a look of revelation on her face.  Even my homemade tube box has a fashion tie-in.  It says HauteLook on the top 
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,561 of 23,494

That's a good lesson for those new to rolling: let the tubes burn in before judging them.  While differences in tubes can be subtle, and really require focusing on specific aspects of the overall presentation repeatedly... read: not exactly enjoying the music for the music... if one can't hear differences between the GEs and Telefunken E88CCs, there's really no point in this hobby or thread.  Just sayin'.

On another note, my wife finally got the point of having so many pairs of tubes.  She put on a necklace yesterday (one of the few pieces with which I could surprise her; I leave that shopping to her), and then commented that I must think she's crazy the way she's always changing bracelets and necklaces.  I told her I love to switch my gems around, too.  "What gems?"  "My tubes."  "Ohhhhh....." she said with a look of revelation on her face.  Even my homemade tube box has a fashion tie-in.  It says HauteLook on the top 
wink.gif

You should get a necklace with a tube pendant! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,563 of 23,494

You should get a necklace with a tube pendant! 
wink_face.gif

You wink, but that's not a bad idea.  I've got a Sylvania 6922 D Getter that's wonky to the point of not being worth rolling.  It could go on a chain.... somehow.  I'd only wear in the Lab, though, to channel the good vibes
wink.gif
  The other tube of that pair is fine, and that makes me crave a single-tube amp like the Project Ember.  OK, specifically the Ember.  Heresy, yes, except I'd keep the Lyr, of course.  Just gear lust, in the end.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,564 of 23,494
  Hey Thurston.  Show me your tube store box...I think I saw yours but I like to see you box again..

THanks

It's a new, bigger version of the one depicted earlier in this thread.  Now all my tubes fit in one box, with room for three more pairs.  I'll snap and post some pix in a bit.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,565 of 23,494

wink.gif

Thurston, Just read "On another note" to my girlfriend! I think she is  starting to understand, more of a little sheepish grin than revelation. Thanks.
  1. gradofan1, No problem, glad to see you are getting started here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back