Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,566 of 23,494
  Thurston, Just read "On another note" to my girlfriend! I think she is  starting to understand, more of a little sheepish grin than revelation. Thanks.
  1. gradofan1, No problem, glad to see you are getting started here. 

Happy to be of service.  It's just about introducing a new perspective.  If you're familiar with it, think of Robin Williams' character in Dead Poets Society standing up on the desk to impress that upon his students.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,567 of 23,494
  Hey Thurston.  Show me your tube store box...I think I saw yours but I like to see you box again..

THanks

Nothing fancy, but definitely functional.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,569 of 23,494
  Thurston..Thank you..

BTW, did you cut out foams?

Yes, I did all the work.  Sorry, meant to mention the material used.  It's seat cushion foam from a fabric store.  Wasn't exactly inexpensive, but I wasn't sure where else to find foam.  I'd have preferred a different type (like what Schiit uses in their little tube box), but this was pretty easy to work with.  Basically, I made a little tube cut-out with some stiff cardboard, then diagrammed the rows on paper, tried mapping the top row, realized I needed to adjust the spacing, flipped the foam over for a clean slate, then finally traced the cut-out onto the foam (total PITA; used a blue ballpoint pen that is a little inkier than most) and sliced and diced.  I just eye-balled the depth after getting the first slot dug out.  The foam can just be picked with fingers to make little adjustments.  I'm pretty happy with it, and if my collection grows, I've got my original box.

Oh yeah, I based my tube-shaped cut-out on the shape and size of the one in the original Schiit tube box.

While it sounds like a lot of work, just put on a pair of cans and some tunes and it'll fly by.

HTH.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #2,570 of 23,494
WOW!!  Thanks for the tips Thurston!!

HEre is the bottle of Beer! 

beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,572 of 23,494
So recently I bought some tubes online. AEG, Russian Rocket and orange globe. I am listening to the AEG. IMO the noise level is a lot better than the Schiit one. I have a HE400 and a hd600. Do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,573 of 23,494
  So recently I bought some tubes online. AEG, Russian Rocket and orange globe. I am listening to the AEG. IMO the noise level is a lot better than the Schiit one. I have a HE400 and a hd600. Do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks.

If you are experiencing noisy (hiss) tubes using your stock ones then they are likely done especially given that your HE400's are not very efficient.  I have had multiple stock sets and none of them have been noisy. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,575 of 23,494
First off, buy some Teles from Upscale, Gold or Plats sound awesome, hard to tell a diff, I own both. As regards the GL's, a very detailed tube, very powerful, not as smooth/warm as the Teles, but better IMHO than most NOS Amperex/Mullards. Keep in mind I like detailed, balanced, tubes, not necessarily warm. Yeah, I like the Ruskys also. The 74,75 Reflektors, SWGP's are awesome, hard to choose between them and the Teles. Good News, you can buy the Teles, the HG Ruskies, very very hard to come by. The GL's have the best bass I have heard yet, big, tight, better than the Teles, HG's. I have the GL'S from Cryoset, on loan to GMahler. Yeah, Teles and GL's, you will be very happy.
My uncle gave me a set of gold lions- platinum- and they are great through my lyr 2. The bass on my alpha dogs is fuller, a touch more pronounced,. The mids seem more detailed and the sound stage seems more holographic than the stock tubes. I hope to get the telefunken tubes sometime next month. However I might get a norne vanquish cable for my alphas instead of the tubes. Thanks for your advice, the gold lions are a great upgrade from the stock tubes.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,576 of 23,494
Nothing fancy, but definitely functional.

It's sooooo beautiful :yum:...I can't even get my Wife to listen anymore, she thinks I am trying to "trick" her into loving the sound, she's on to me....

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2,578 of 23,494
Aug 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,579 of 23,494
My uncle gave me a set of gold lions- platinum- and they are great through my lyr 2. The bass on my alpha dogs is fuller, a touch more pronounced,. The mids seem more detailed and the sound stage seems more holographic than the stock tubes. I hope to get the telefunken tubes sometime next month. However I might get a norne vanquish cable for my alphas instead of the tubes. Thanks for your advice, the gold lions are a great upgrade from the stock tubes.

Cool, 
  The GL's are totally overlooked on this thread.  There are a few of us who have mentioned them here, but unless you try them.... Most people here pursue the so called NOS "GO TO's", Bugle Boys, Orange Globes, etc. They are so vintage and cool!?!? Anyway, I think the GL's are as good as and better than most, liked them way better than some expensive Mullard E188CC's. For my tastes the Telefunken, Siemens, mid 70s Reflektors/Rockets are better. For anyone reading this YMMV. Your description is spot on for the GL's.  BTW, I still have some GL's, and Teles FS, I have recently procured some 75Ref HG's from RB2013. Will be posting my evals of this unbelievable tube soon. I always thought RB's "over the top" description of these had something to do with his residence in Wash. state, where they recently legalized you know what!!!  But yeah, most of his thoughts regarding these incredibly hard to obtain tubes are true. As smooth and detailed as my best Telefunkens, with the biggest soundstage ever, very powerful, lots of headroom.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #2,580 of 23,494
  Why do you buy sets of stock tubes instead of just a set with better quality?

I don't. I buy premium tubes for better dimensionality and sound stage. My point was that the stock tubes are as quiet as any others I have found and so if they are noisy they should be replaced. Which tubes they should be replaced is up to your preference and budget; however I would expect premium ones to provide more than less noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back