Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2,521 of 23,493
Wow - sounds like there are so many people experiencing problems with Upscale Audio lying about what quality of tube they supply (though they clearly state what you are paying extra for should you choose to do so - and then failing to deliver). So many warning signs and I'm from a different country which makes returns harder.  I was looking to order a couple of sets of Platinum Tele's from him, but no more ... thanks for the "heads up" on Kevin's (consistently?) untoward business practices (mistakes happen - but SEVERAL "mistakes" which he only grudgingly fixes?).  Looks like I have dodged a bullet there !!

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #2,523 of 23,493
Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,524 of 23,493
oh. hope you have other good tubes to use.

Yeah, I should be thankful...

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,525 of 23,493
Hey guys, so since I got my Bifrost I have the Schiit Stack with the Lyr on top. I do have a question about heat, how hot can this stuff get where it's still acceptable? By the end of a 10 hour work day where I've got tunes going for about 8 of it both the Lyr and the Bifrost are cookin...even the volume knob is scorching hot. Just wanted to check and be sure, see if maybe I should put a small fan behind the stack or something.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,526 of 23,493
You can try taller feet on the amp. The hottest area is under the right side edge near the Volume control. Otherwise the fan will help. Also if it is not enclosed where there is at least a foot of air on top will make a big difference.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,527 of 23,493
  Hey guys, so since I got my Bifrost I have the Schiit Stack with the Lyr on top. I do have a question about heat, how hot can this stuff get where it's still acceptable? By the end of a 10 hour work day where I've got tunes going for about 8 of it both the Lyr and the Bifrost are cookin...even the volume knob is scorching hot. Just wanted to check and be sure, see if maybe I should put a small fan behind the stack or something.

It definitely gets hot.  A couple things you can do are, as mentioned, use taller feet.  I raise my Lyr using some foam circles, with clear, rubberized, slightly tapered and rounded plastic feet attached to the circles (so, two layers).  I figure the foam circles provide a little extra vibration dampening.  The brands are Super Sliders (1 in. Grippers; not the felt), and Magic Sliders (#78977 Value Pack).  Gives it good clearance above the Bifrost, but still looks good.

The other thing you can do is use socket savers (Tubemonger's are excellent, though will set you back $50 for a pair; worth every penny for me).  They will raise the tubes, and the volume knob will be noticeably cooler, though still warm.  The chassis should be less hot, too.  And it certainly makes tube rolling easier.

HTH.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,528 of 23,493
Sad day, my Siemens CCa 60 died on me (one tube)....Sometimes I hate this hobby. can't keep it alive forever...

Sorry for your lost....tubes create such a wonderful sound but as fleeting as a beautiful sunset. Wish I could make tubes last forever..

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,529 of 23,493

It definitely gets hot.  A couple things you can do are, as mentioned, use taller feet.  I raise my Lyr using some foam circles, with clear, rubberized, slightly tapered and rounded plastic feet attached to the circles (so, two layers).  I figure the foam circles provide a little extra vibration dampening.  The brands are Super Sliders (1 in. Grippers; not the felt), and Magic Sliders (#78977 Value Pack).  Gives it good clearance above the Bifrost, but still looks good.

The other thing you can do is use socket savers (Tubemonger's are excellent, though will set you back $50 for a pair; worth every penny for me).  They will raise the tubes, and the volume knob will be noticeably cooler, though still warm.  The chassis should be less hot, too.  And it certainly makes tube rolling easier.

HTH.

+1 on tube savers. I also had read that the tube savers increase the airyness of the sound of the tubes but that could be a false observation someone had made. I also use Herbies Audio Labs Rubber Feet for my Bifrost and Lyr which increase the height of the Bifrost and Lyr so more air can flow between the units for a cooler chassis although I think both of the units sound better if they're hotter but even with the rubber feet, they seem hot enough. The rubber feet run you $15 a piece I think and it is recommended you use 4 feet per unit so 8 total which is quite pricey...

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #2,530 of 23,493
Just got some lovely russian tubes from Uncle RB! I believe they are the 1974 SWGP silver shields? Correct me if I'm wrong, sorry.

So I just put these bad boys in my Lyr after listening to my Siemens E88CC gray electrostatic shields for the last time and I was for once shocked at the difference. I'm no audiophile so I can't pick out very minor details so hearing this change was such a jaw dropping experience. My Siemens are considered "holy grail" by the Tube Museum and I was recommended by quite a few people at the Tube Museum to try them out and I did. They were already a big step up from the OGs and Matsu****a's that I previously had. 

My rig is PC -> Foobar 2k FLAC 44.1k/96k -> Bifrost Uber USB -> Lyr '74 SWGP tubes -> LCD 2.
Anyway onto the initial impressions. So I firstly listened to Infected Mushroom - Heavy Weight and I was like what is this tube? I guess I wasn't use to the sound. It was just all in my face and a bit loud. After about 10 minutes I began to realize how amazing these tubes actually are. It took a bit of time to adjust to their different sound and now I'm never going back to those Siemens! The sound stage is 12938190x bigger than the Siemens and LCD 2s arent known for their soundstage so it was quite incredible to hear such a big difference. The soundstage is very wide and deep with great instrument separation. The lows seem to extend as low as the Siemens did, sorry I am no audiophile as I said so I cannot tell if this is true or not but its what I have observed. The sub bass has more impact, texture and speed than the Siemens. It has more of a tighter and faster bass compared to the Siemens slower bass, yet it carries more impact and texture so totally on a whole new level in terms of lows. Since I am no audiophile, I can honestly hear no difference in the mids between these two tubes. They seem to be very neutral and sound the same to my ears anyway. Sorry I could not evaluate the differences more, my ears aren't the best haha. Timbre is also something that I couldn't hear a difference in, they both sound identical to my ears but this could easily change during burn in of the tubes. The highs are already brighter than the Siemens slightly but it is a noticeable difference. It is never fatiguing but remains very detailed and as cliche as it sounds, I have heard things in a few of the songs I've listened to already and I have heard things that I have never EVER heard before. Especially in a song such as Heavy Weight by Infected Mushrooms. Overall the sound is on a whole new level compared to the Siemens E88CCs and were cheaper than the price of my Siemens. I will continue to burn these bad boys in and see if I see a difference. Oh and note that these russian tubes are fatter or wider than the normal 6922/E88CC tubes. My tube dampers had to be stretched to be placed around the tube because of the added width so bare that in mind. 

Thank you so much RB for selling me these tubes, they are truly amazing. I wish to hear the HG's sometime soon in the near future. Cheers!

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,531 of 23,493
  Wow - sounds like there are so many people experiencing problems with Upscale Audio lying about what quality of tube they supply (though they clearly state what you are paying extra for should you choose to do so - and then failing to deliver). So many warning signs and I'm from a different country which makes returns harder.  I was looking to order a couple of sets of Platinum Tele's from him, but no more ... thanks for the "heads up" on Kevin's (consistently?) untoward business practices (mistakes happen - but SEVERAL "mistakes" which he only grudgingly fixes?).  Looks like I have dodged a bullet there !!

Due to financial issues I have reluctantly decided to sell my Platinum Teles I recently purchased from Upscale. Just over 100hrs, Tested 17000-16500(3%) and 17400-17000(2%). I will post these on the FS forum later today. PM me if interested, $200 plus shipping.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,532 of 23,493
New guy here but have rolled a bit in the past.  Went through Bugle Boys, 70's Amperex, Tele's, Russian and European 6DJ8's, etc., and decided the Siemens and Halske 6922 CCa as the cream of the crop in my pre. Just had funeral services for my Siemens and Halske 6922 CCa early 60's after 8, maybe 8.5 years in an Audio Research pre.  Received another NOS from a trusted source in Germany and it is everything the deceased was in its prime. Monster stage and dynamics, just plays more music, more harmonics than others.  Have a chance to picked a NOS 1959 Valvo pinched waist 6922 CCa.  Anyone have experience with both tubes I cited and can compare the two?  It's a big $$ purchase so I want to ask before I jump.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,533 of 23,493
I've had my Lyr for about 4 months and have been mostly happy, but I'm really getting tired of the high pitched whining noise (that is not volume related, I can hear it at zero volume).  Is it the stock factory tubes or do I need to consider that the unit might have a problem?  I haven't really had a major issue with the hum (can mostly control with decent source level), but yeah, this whining is just ruining things for me.

I've just noticed  today that there was lyr 2 released mere months after my purchase that seems to at least combat noise.  If I have to, I may consider selling this one and getting a 2.

Worth it?

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,534 of 23,493
^Sounds like "feedback" from
A miss-grounded loop. I use a Monster Power Strip with my Lyr 2, no hum or whining, or you could use a cheater, though I prefer the surge protector.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2,535 of 23,493
  I've had my Lyr for about 4 months and have been mostly happy, but I'm really getting tired of the high pitched whining noise (that is not volume related, I can hear it at zero volume).  Is it the stock factory tubes or do I need to consider that the unit might have a problem?  I haven't really had a major issue with the hum (can mostly control with decent source level), but yeah, this whining is just ruining things for me.

I've just noticed  today that there was lyr 2 released mere months after my purchase that seems to at least combat noise.  If I have to, I may consider selling this one and getting a 2.

Worth it?

If you hear this with only your headphone and power cable plugged in then it may be the tubes or an oscillation issue. Is it both channels? A tube problem would most likely be in only one. I would also try moving it to a mother location where you can plug it directly into a wall to see if it is power interference. If it is neither of these it is time to contact Schiit. That is not a normal noise.

BTW, the Lyr 2 is definitely worth it as I had the Lyr for a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back