Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 16, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,491 of 23,494
  Seems to be a popular story here... I have JRiver > Bitfrost > Lyr > HE500's and received the HG’s (Reflektor '75 SWGP Silver Shields), from RB. I can’t put to words very well what I’m hearing and haven’t had much listening time yet, however on a cursory listen, I am hearing a more effortless, smooth and fluid, less in-your-face presentation. The soundstage is more spacious with sound coming from everywhere except my cans, and a deeper, wider soundstage. I just seems more natural. I’ll have to compare them with the Tele’s when I get them back from Upscale, (hopefully both will be Platinums this time, as I ordered initially, however received one Gold and one Platinum), should be interesting!

I think I’m going to like them!
Thanks RB!

Yeah, My setup is cd/dvd player  -  bifrost  - Lyr 1  - hd800.  Of course, With Ref 75 Swgp.  You'll get spectacular eargasm!!!!

Cheers!!

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,492 of 23,494
Hey guys. So I'm pretty late to the original Lyr party. Err.. very late. Anyways, I was curious if anyone here has tried the Beyerdynamic T90s with the Lyr? I haven't heard a single bad thing about the T90s and am very intrigued by them. I've gotten a few mixed reactions but I was hoping others had some experience with this combo. I understand this is the Tube rolling thread but the original lyr thread was inactive and some help would be awesome. Any help is appreciated! Thanks, guys!

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,493 of 23,494
Recently  purchased a matched pair of 1974 Reflektor SWGP Silvers from Comrade Bob.  Had purchased a pair of 1975 Voshkod Grays about a year ago when I was running stock cabled Beyerdynamic T1’s through a Bifrost/Lyr setup.  The detail was incredible but to me the overall sound signature was somewhat hot, especially through the T1’s treble and the soundstage seemed congested.  It was like the Rockets were too much tube for my system.  Sold the Rockets as a result.  I’ve since recabled my T1’s with a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2, replaced my Lyr (which I loved) with a Woo Audio WA2 (which I love more), replaced my Blue Jean digital coax with an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver digital coax and finally replaced my Schiit Audio Psyt interconnects with Silnote Audio Morpheus Series II interconnects.  Thought it might be time to revisit the Russian tube realm with a system that hopefully would play more to the tubes’ strengths, to my ears anyway.  And WOW I’m glad I did.  Granted the 74 Reflektor SWGP Silvers are just a piece in my new puzzle but they are a large and very important piece.  Bottom line, their synergy with the above-mentioned additions to my setup is incredible.  The Reflektors are a big, powerful tube…my system now seems able to take advantage of what they bring to the table.  I’m a big timbre and tone guy.  I want as much of a “being there” presence as I can get.  Not 10th row, not front row...I want to be sitting at the drum kit !!!  But as close as I want to be, I still want holographic separation and blackness between instruments.  I want sophisticated layering and complex texture.  And above all I want to be totally engaged.  The Reflektors, in my current system, provide all of this...and provide it all in spades.  It is a BIG experience...and an exquisite one.  Kudos Roberto.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,494 of 23,494
Recently  purchased a matched pair of 1974 Reflektor SWGP Silvers from Comrade Bob.  Had purchased a pair of 1975 Voshkod Grays about a year ago when I was running stock cabled Beyerdynamic T1’s through a Bifrost/Lyr setup.  The detail was incredible but to me the overall sound signature was somewhat hot, especially through the T1’s treble and the soundstage seemed congested.  It was like the Rockets were too much tube for my system.  Sold the Rockets as a result.  I’ve since recabled my T1’s with a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2, replaced my Lyr (which I loved) with a Woo Audio WA2 (which I love more), replaced my Blue Jean digital coax with an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver digital coax and finally replaced my Schiit Audio Psyt interconnects with Silnote Audio Morpheus Series II interconnects.  Thought it might be time to revisit the Russian tube realm with a system that hopefully would play more to the tubes’ strengths, to my ears anyway.  And WOW I’m glad I did.  Granted the 74 Reflektor SWGP Silvers are just a piece in my new puzzle but they are a large and very important piece.  Bottom line, their synergy with the above-mentioned additions to my setup is incredible.  The Reflektors are a big, powerful tube…my system now seems able to take advantage of what they bring to the table.  I’m a big timbre and tone guy.  I want as much of a “being there” presence as I can get.  Not 10th row, not front row...I want to be sitting at the drum kit !!!  But as close as I want to be, I still want holographic separation and blackness between instruments.  I want sophisticated layering and complex texture.  And above all I want to be totally engaged.  The Reflektors, in my current system, provide all of this...and provide it all in spades.  It is a BIG experience...and an exquisite one.  Kudos Roberto.
Nice write up! Yes they are something else. As we say in high end audio, they scale up well. The better the system, the more remarkable their outstanding attributes shine.

Wait until you hear the '75 Holy Grails!!!! They'll blow your mind!

Unfortunately, Vlad is hell bent on conquering the Ukraine. No telling when the iron curtain will drop again, then it's over in terms of getting more.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,495 of 23,494
  Seems to be a popular story here... I have JRiver > Bitfrost > Lyr > HE500's and received the HG’s (Reflektor '75 SWGP Silver Shields), from RB. I can’t put to words very well what I’m hearing and haven’t had much listening time yet, however on a cursory listen, I am hearing a more effortless, smooth and fluid, less in-your-face presentation. The soundstage is more spacious with sound coming from everywhere except my cans, and a deeper, wider soundstage. I just seems more natural. I’ll have to compare them with the Tele’s when I get them back from Upscale, (hopefully both will be Platinums this time, as I ordered initially, however received one Gold and one Platinum), should be interesting!

I think I’m going to like them!
Thanks RB!

Yikes, just met with GMahler and he was kind enough to loan me his 75 HG's he got from RB. Have not listened yet. I loaned him my extra pair of Upscale Teles. Update later today. Really look forward to your thoughts on these two top tubes Blueshound. I saw the HG's on Ebay and waited to long to pull the buy trigger. I wondered who bought them !! Steve

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,496 of 23,494

Bill, I am about to experience some 75 HG's on loan from GMahler. Good to hear your thoughts on the Ruskies in your system. I know you really like the 60s Holland Phillips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's. How would you compare them?

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,497 of 23,494
  Bill, I am about to experience some 75 HG's on loan from GMahler. Good to hear your thoughts on the Ruskies in your system. I know you really like the 60s Holland Phillips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's. How would you compare them?

1 and 1A...which, as you know, considering my love affair with the Mini's really says something about the 74 SWGP Silvers (which are #2 in rb's rankings behind the 75 SWGP HG's).  There is a certain presence with the Mini's through the mids that to me is unique. Closest thing to being in the studio I've found.   But these Ruskies bring a lower end that the Mini's don't...and even though I'm not a big bass guy, I miss that now when I listen to Mini's.  And their mids seriously challenge the Mini's.  They are both top-of-the-heap tubes to me.  I've only had the Ruskies a short while.  It strikes me that the Ruskies are a more 'powerful' tube.  I really crank them when I listen to take advantage of that power and they hold together incredibly well at higher volume.  You really have to dial in that perfect volume to get the true instrument timbre they can reveal. If I don't do that they can sound a bit flatter than the Mini's.   Time will tell which one gets the most headtime.  Never thought my E188CC Holland-made Philips Mini's would be challenged in my mind...but these 74's are right there.  There, I said it.  Now I need to go and apologize to my Mini's.  They are missing my unconditional love.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,498 of 23,494
First of all, thanks to GMahler2U for the loan of his 75 SWPG Reflektors, AKA "Holy Grails"(HG)'s. Also thanks to RB2013 for sifting and sorting the dozens of "maybe"s to provide same. This is a technically difficult comparison: the HG's vs Upscales E88CC Telefunkens, certainly 2 of the best tubes for the Lyr. I generally agree with RB on a number of differences and similarities. Both tubes are incredibly detailed and a joy to listen to. I find the HG ever so slightly more detailed, but on "Unity Band", Pat Metheny, almost to bright. On "Companion", Patricia Barber that extra detail just perfect. These two CD's were played in my Denon DCD1015 CD player digital out, Straight Wire Silverlink to my Bifrost/Lyr/modded Fostex T50RP's. Generally I find the HG's to have a slightly more open sound and soundstage. The bass to me was about the same on both tubes, balanced, tight, just right. These are just my first impressions, and I will explore my HD Tracks 96K downloads for a more in depth comparison. This is a lot of fun, thanks again guys, satwilson

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,499 of 23,494
  First of all, thanks to GMahler2U for the loan of his 75 SWPG Reflektors, AKA "Holy Grails"(HG)'s. Also thanks to RB2013 for sifting and sorting the dozens of "maybe"s to provide same. This is a technically difficult comparison: the HG's vs Upscales E88CC Telefunkens, certainly 2 of the best tubes for the Lyr. I generally agree with RB on a number of differences and similarities. Both tubes are incredibly detailed and a joy to listen to. I find the HG ever so slightly more detailed, but on "Unity Band", Pat Metheny, almost to bright. On "Companion", Patricia Barber that extra detail just perfect. These two CD's were played in my Denon DCD1015 CD player digital out, Straight Wire Silverlink to my Bifrost/Lyr/modded Fostex T50RP's. Generally I find the HG's to have a slightly more open sound and soundstage. The bass to me was about the same on both tubes, balanced, tight, just right. These are just my first impressions, and I will explore my HD Tracks 96K downloads for a more in depth comparison. This is a lot of fun, thanks again guys, satwilson

I will very much look forward to the 96K comparisons.  Thanks S.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,500 of 23,494
  1 and 1A...which, as you know, considering my love affair with the Mini's really says something about the 74 SWGP Silvers (which are #2 in rb's rankings behind the 75 SWGP HG's).  There is a certain presence with the Mini's through the mids that to me is unique. Closest thing to being in the studio I've found.   But these Ruskies bring a lower end that the Mini's don't...and even though I'm not a big bass guy, I miss that now when I listen to Mini's.  And their mids seriously challenge the Mini's.  They are both top-of-the-heap tubes to me.  I've only had the Ruskies a short while.  It strikes me that the Ruskies are a more 'powerful' tube.  I really crank them when I listen to take advantage of that power and they hold together incredibly well at higher volume.  You really have to dial in that perfect volume to get the true instrument timbre they can reveal. If I don't do that they can sound a bit flatter than the Mini's.   Time will tell which one gets the most headtime.  Never thought my E188CC Holland-made Philips Mini's would be challenged in my mind...but these 74's are right there.  There, I said it.  Now I need to go and apologize to my Mini's.  They are missing my unconditional love.

You know that unconditional love thing is a fragile relationship. HA,HA,HA, seriously though, you know the 74 Silver's TIED with the Teles. Many have found these new Upscale units to be way better than previous Teles. After GMahler has finished with my spares, unless he wan'ts to keep em, I would be fine with sending them to you for eval, just saying...I have been shopping the Mini's hard but yeah $200-$400, gotta get some HG's first. satwilson 

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,501 of 23,494
  You know that unconditional love thing is a fragile relationship. HA,HA,HA, seriously though, you know the 74 Silver's TIED with the Teles. Many have found these new Upscale units to be way better than previous Teles. After GMahler has finished with my spares, unless he wan'ts to keep em, I would be fine with sending them to you for eval, just saying...I have been shopping the Mini's hard but yeah $200-$400, gotta get some HG's first. satwilson 

Thanks for the offer, Steve...but I'm tubed out right now.  Just going to sit back and actually enjoy the music.  Really.
(Don't tempt me) 

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,503 of 23,494
Hi everyone.

Today I met Steve aka: satwilson.  He loan me his Telefunken e88cc.  I listened briefly, It's very good tube.  I like this tube.
Now, I'm curious about Telefunken CCa..........anyone has this CCa?  What is you impression on your tube?

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,504 of 23,494
A couple of weeks ago I received the pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered.

Jared, who works with Kevin, was a perfect gentleman when he and I communicated. He agreed the 15% tube was not Platinum grade and apologized for letting that one slip through. He was more than willing to either refund the difference between Gold and Platinum grade or send a tube with a tighter balance and include a return label for the 15% tube.

A few days later Kevin contacted me and wanted to know what my complaint was. I said I had ordered Platinum grade and had gotten one that was Gold. He went on to say that Platinum grade sometimes went up to 15% and that it would work fine. I reminded him I ordered Platinum and even his website says Platinum is “10% or tighter”. He then seemed irritated that I even brought that up and asked if I wanted to just return the tubes and forget the deal. I told him I was not even remotely saying that.

He finally consented, but he grumbled even more when I asked him to cover return shipping of the 15% graded tube. I said a good business practice would take care of it since the wrong tube was shipped out in the first place. Reluctantly, he did send a shipping label.

In my field of healthcare, we would say as a “healthcare professional”, he does not have good "bedside manner". With his attitude, it’s a wonder he seems to have a thriving business.

Well I received the replacement Tele’s today and they are T1 12600, T2 12600 - 0% and T1 12500, T2 12200 - 2%. Wow, that is pretty much perfection when it comes to NOS! Maybe it’s true, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Haven’t put them in my Lyr to try out yet, but those are good testing tubes. I can’t wait to try them out again. My recollection of the first pair’s signature was organic, effortless, smooth and fluid, and less in-your-face and spacious. Should be interesting to compare to my HG’s!

Anyway, in the end, Upscale came through and made it right, however Kevin made it more difficult than it should have been:frowning2:
He should let Jared deal with his customers:)

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,505 of 23,494
  A couple of weeks ago I received the pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered.

Jared, who works with Kevin, was a perfect gentleman when he and I communicated. He agreed the 15% tube was not Platinum grade and apologized for letting that one slip through. He was more than willing to either refund the difference between Gold and Platinum grade or send a tube with a tighter balance and include a return label for the 15% tube.

A few days later Kevin contacted me and wanted to know what my complaint was. I said I had ordered Platinum grade and had gotten one that was Gold. He went on to say that Platinum grade sometimes went up to 15% and that it would work fine. I reminded him I ordered Platinum and even his website says Platinum is “10% or tighter”. He then seemed irritated that I even brought that up and asked if I wanted to just return the tubes and forget the deal. I told him I was not even remotely saying that.

He finally consented, but he grumbled even more when I asked him to cover return shipping of the 15% graded tube. I said a good business practice would take care of it since the wrong tube was shipped out in the first place. Reluctantly, he did send a shipping label.

In my field of healthcare, we would say as a “healthcare professional”, he does not have good "bedside manner". With his attitude, it’s a wonder he seems to have a thriving business.

Well I received the replacement Tele’s today and they are T1 12600, T2 12600 - 0% and T1 12500, T2 12200 - 2%. Wow, that is pretty much perfection when it comes to NOS! Maybe it’s true, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Haven’t put them in my Lyr to try out yet, but those are good testing tubes. I can’t wait to try them out again. My recollection of the first pair’s signature was organic, effortless, smooth and fluid, and less in-your-face and spacious. Should be interesting to compare to my HG’s!

Anyway, in the end, Upscale came through and made it right, however Kevin made it more difficult than it should have been:frowning2:
He should let Jared deal with his customers:)

Kevin gave me the runaround when I ordered "gold", tubes were in the low to mid 20's. Please see my previous post's. This guy is full of himself...tout's Upscales "reputation" As far of HF's rep this guy is totally lacking. This guy has thousands of these Teles, The only good part is they are great, outstanding tubes. I guess he wan'ts to take a few thousand to the grave??? Glad you were able to coerce him to actually providing your Plats. Kevin, are you reading this thread? No, I am headed to the bank with deposits....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back